1/48 - Sukhoi Su-17M-4 & Su-17UM-3 "Fitter-K & G" by HobbyBoss - Su-17M-4 & -UM-3 released - Su-17/-22M-3K conv. set by Vespa Models

Homebee

15 minutes ago, thepureness said:

So are you saving hobby boss got this one right? or is it the better looking kit?

Yes, HB looks better kit . At least on the photo.

53 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

Yes, HB looks better kit.

But better model ? It needs a replacement canopy (in profile, top curved too much), windscreen (base too narrow making the windscreen not "going into the nose"). And separate wing slats don't make sense since the flaps are moulded with the wing parts. And the parabrake fairing looks too short.

Edited by Laurent

27 minutes ago, Laurent said:

But better model ? It needs a replacement canopy (in profile, top curved too much), windscreen (base too narrow making the windscreen not "going into the nose"). And separate wing slats don't make sense since the flaps are moulded with the wing parts. And the parabrake fairing looks too short.

Sry I was crew chief only for the Su-25,but I also worked with Su-22.So a little about how it works Su-22 know. For take-off just enough slots.:D

This wing by KH is good, but what about those bugs on the surface?At KH is too much work to repair nonsense!

Laurent sry but for me is KH very bad mix Su-17M-3 early and late,M-3R and M-4. Where is 2nd dispenser KDS on the back? Missing accessories for weapons?Instructions and camouflage it's a bad joke!OK mixing Mirage III, V and 2000 in one kit,and it's the same.:innocent::innocent:Must have but nice details :lol:

Scale drawings have been published recently in May 2017 issue of Russian magazine M-Hobby. Overlays.

KH <-> M-Hobby

khVsMH.jpg

HB <-> M-Hobby

hbVsMH.jpg

Hopefully CWS will do a canopy+windscreen+keel correction set for HB...

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Have both now and its going to come to choices.

If have a slightly squashed ie vertically undersized front windscreen canopy that does look a little small compared to KH but more accurate finer details that have no "impact" visually on the look of the kit id go Kittyhawk.

if you some how want finer accurate details yet can live with an undersize canopy/windscreen which may throw off the look of the aeroplane more than incorrect panels etc then HB.

If you used the KH clear parts on the HB kit might keep an accuracy guy happy at a price ie expensive and spine not fixed but you "could graft the akH spine parts.

If you dont care about minutae and can live with the multi part fuse assembling them in there seperate halves oob the KH kit.

If you can live with the slightly squashed canopy/windscreen and want ease of build HB.

Overall for me the KH kit as i dont know nor care about minute accuracy issues and the overall look/shape is better. Line ball though and if an easy canopy solution appears i might go HB..

Both have faults.

Might have to check if my old KP kit canopies fit the HB kit not sure if they will work but might be a solution to at leadt the clear parts.

On 05/05/2017 at 07:27, Laurent said:

Scale drawings have been published recently in May 2017 issue of Russian magazine M-Hobby. Overlays.

KH <-> M-Hobby

HB <-> M-Hobby

:analintruder: Monsieur Laurent...!!!

Awesome work, my mate. It's good to know - once again - that Kitty Hawk nailed the forward fuselage and windshield/canopy profile on their kit. I realised about that the minute I watched those CAD renditions earlier on the KH kit thread. 

There was something which looked odd to me about the Hobby Boss kit in that aspect.

Cheers,

Unc2

On 05/05/2017 at 07:27, Laurent said:

KH <-> M-Hobby

HB <-> M-Hobby

I wait for the kit and compared with drawing! Compare the picture is a little weird! 

4 hours ago, harvy5 said:

I wait for the kit and compared with drawing! Compare the picture is a little weird! 

Tr/HB/KH use CAD model to design the direction sheets so most of the time the shapes in these correspond to the shapes of the kit parts.

Overlaying kit parts to drawings doesn't work because of optical distortion (parallax, short focal distance, etc) on kit parts.

5 hours ago, Laurent said:

Tr/HB/KH use CAD model to design the direction sheets so most of the time the shapes in these correspond to the shapes of the kit parts.

Overlaying kit parts to drawings doesn't work because of optical distortion (parallax, short focal distance, etc) on kit parts.

Exactly! BUT... You don't know true sizes of the model. If you take into consideration, that HB fuselage is shorter about 5-6mm at the wing trailing edge, than should be, so the overall proportions will be absolutely different. The HB model is made using 4+ drawing and absobed all the mistakes from it, but the overall shapes are very good, exept front canopy sides, shorter fuselage, more swept trailing edge of fixed wing section and some minor issues.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fencer-1 said:

but the overall shapes are very good, exept front canopy sides, shorter fuselage, more swept trailing edge of fixed wing section and some minor issues.

Those are some big "excepts". Is the cross section squarish or not?

Vedran 

8 hours ago, Laurent said:

:tmi:  Aw, mein Gawd!

That (the awful squarish shape on the HB kit fuselage), just reminded me of my Sheila's first attempt at pottery!

Thanks the Hectors below that I haven't gotten the HB kit first! That shape'd have made me mad, again!

7 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Thank you Laurent.

KH + HAD it is.

That's a smart choice, Vedran.

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

That (the awful squarish shape on the HB kit fuselage), just reminded me of my Sheila's first attempt at pottery! 

Yeh, I wondered how could anyone ever turn a squarish shape out of a lathe...??? :hmmm:Let's see your hands, honey... :lol: Oh, but she just insisted with pottery. One day I sneaked into the classroom and there was a gigantic poster of Harry Potter on the wall. :rolleyes: 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. With that long body on a Fitter, the two-seater looks even more appealing, IMHO, especially since it's also fully combat-capable. I'm definitely getting one.

BTW, doesn't the Su-17UM3 have only the starboard gun? The photos indicate that both guns are present. Sorry if it was already noted.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

What's about this strange looking banna shaped fuselage? 

You mean the dropped nose? That feature was introduced with the Su-17UM variant to improve the rear visibility and retained for all subsequent variants as well, IIRC.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This was delivered to the house today a mere 5 day's or so after ordering from China, impressed! Looking forward to seeing how it compares to the KH single seater.

20170719_111156_edit_1500468875986.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Looking forward to seeing how it compares to the KH single seater.

I've done a side-by-side comparaison of HB and KH single-seaters.

1. Top of HB front fuselage is bulged so it doesn't have a circular cross-section

khVsHb_frontFuselageCrossSection.jpg

2. HB windscreen is too low and the base is flat when it should be curved

hbVsKh_windscreenSide.jpg

3. HB windscreen base is too straight and narrow (this explains why the windscreen doesn't "eat" the top fuselage)

hbVsKh_windscreenTop.jpg

4. Top of canopy curves down too much on HB

hbVsKh_canopySide.jpg

The last three characteristics were visible in the painting & decals instructions so that somewhat proves these are made using the CAD model.

• Like 1