1/48 - Sukhoi Su-17M-4 & Su-17UM-3 "Fitter-K & G" by HobbyBoss - Su-17M-4 & -UM-3 released - Su-17/-22M-3K conv. set by Vespa Models

Homebee

3 hours ago, Laurent said:

Less time than scratchbuilding windscreen and canopy patterns, vacuforming the parts and adapting the HB fuselage to the vacu parts :)

I still prefer what's on the right to what's on the left.

hbKhWs.jpg

maybe we will get an vacform canopy  from a third party???

:analintruder: Monsieur Laurent!

Uh-huh...? Well, mate Kunihiko-bloke in Japan is makin' me a resin copy of 'em whole intake cone 'n' spliter part on the Hobby Boss kit to see whether it fits me Kitty Hawk precious

Told me some resin aftermarket manufacturor might be already makin' 'em fix to go with this issue in "they're" Kitty Hawk kit? :huh:

Yeh, he did. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: Monsieur Laurent!

Uh-huh...? Well, mate Kunihiko-bloke in Japan is makin' me a resin copy of 'em whole intake cone 'n' spliter part on the Hobby Boss kit to see whether it fits me Kitty Hawk precious

Told me some resin aftermarket manufacturor might be already makin' 'em fix to go with this issue in "they're" Kitty Hawk kit? :huh:

Yeh, he did. 

Good ! Frankly I find the windscreen+canopy area more of a concern than the intake splitter. Windscreen and canopy are the "eyes" of the model IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

maybe we will get an vacform canopy  from a third party???

Perhaps but then we'd need to put it in place and this could be messy (sanding, sawing, puttying)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

Hi all,

Two weeks after this kit has reached the shops and no inbox review anywhere? Is it really that bad?!

There is one from this very forum in the reviews section from a couple of months ago. :)

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, Muzz said:

This could be edging it over the Kitty Hawk kit, the one piece fuselage half looks far more appealing to me than the KH multi part option.

Why? Quite a few manufacturers do this..

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Laurent said:

LM prices for 1/48 Su-17M4s. HB=39USD, KH=51USD. HB is 20% cheaper... this will pay part of the windscreen correction set that may come :)

Nitpicking, but it's closer to 25% (23,5) which sounds more inticing. It's still only 12 USD so hopefully there will be a correction set for that price :)

Edited by Dudikoff

4 hours ago, Laurent said:

LM prices for 1/48 Su-17M4s. HB=39USD, KH=51USD. HB is 20% cheaper... this will pay part of the windscreen correction set that may come :)

During the epic long naked build review by Doog's Model's on Youtube there was mention of a THIRD kit manufacturer coming out with 1/48 Su-17/22.

He never mentioned who that might be. I can only think of two other companies that would jump into the pool. ICM and AMK.

Any rumors about where the next Su-17/22 is coming from? Because if it's true then I'll wait and see if someone finally brings it all together an makes a nice rendition of the Fitter.

Well, the OEZ (KP/Eduard) kit is now the low end, Hobby Boss (based on Mr, song's work when he was with Trumpeter) is second, with Kitty Hawk (Mr. Song's latest) being the best so far.  Who scanned the German museum's fitter?  Not AMK, doubtful it is ICM as they have examples much closer... then who?  Who had been scanning aircraft lately?

Personally, I got rid of my OEZ kit in the hopes of the new ones but haven't picked up any instead... I can wait it out.

Regards,

• Like 1

The scan probably wasn't done by any model manufacturer.  If I were to make a wild guess, I'd say it was probably related to a flight sim, but it could also be a digital artist.

As for who the third manufacturer could be...  I suspect the rumour is AMK, but I don't think there's been anything official to confirm it, and there's a good chance it's just wild speculation by enthusiastic fans.  If you remember back in late 2015, when AMK were in marketing overdrive in the post-Foxhound buzz, they announced the five or six new 1/48 subjects they were going to release in the first half of 2016.  With the promise of a similar stack of announcements for the second half of the year.  In all the clamoring on forums and FB, "pleeeeease do a Su-17" was one of the more frequent requests.  I don't think *any* suggestion was ever shot down, and AMK responded to most with a "you'll just have to wait and see... ;);)" type of response that stoked the excitement and anticipation, but doesn't actually mean anything.  Like, someone could have asked them to tool a 1/20 Tarrant Tabor and they would have been told "you'll have to wait and see, but you're going to love our next announcement...  ;))

IOW, I could see people convincing themselves that AMK will release one, based merely on the fact that they wish it was true.

All that being said, if the rumours of the third kit stem from that particular blog, it could also be Tanmodel, since he does seem to have a bit of a connection there.  And I guess it wouldn't come as a massive shock if Tanmodel announced a Su-17.  After all, they've announced plans to release every other aircraft ever made.  :lol:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ICMF said:

I suspect the rumour is AMK, but I don't think there's been anything official to confirm it, and there's a good chance it's just wild speculation by enthusiastic fans.  If you remember back in late 2015, when AMK were in marketing overdrive in the post-Foxhound buzz, they announced the five or six new 1/48 subjects they were going to release in the first half of 2016.  With the promise of a similar stack of announcements for the second half of the year.  In all the clamoring on forums and FB, "pleeeeease do a Su-17" was one of the more frequent requests.  I don't think *any* suggestion was ever shot down, and AMK responded to most with a "you'll just have to wait and see... ;);)" type of response that stoked the excitement and anticipation, but doesn't actually mean anything.  Like, someone could have asked them to tool a 1/20 Tarrant Tabor and they would have been told "you'll have to wait and see, but you're going to love our next announcement...  ;))

IOW, I could see people convincing themselves that AMK will release one, based merely on the fact that they wish it was true.

Well, not any more, especially after the releasement of the kit by two different manufacturers has occurred. Wish I could forget about AMK saying that their SuE project was suddenly shelved before the Kinetic kit hit the market. :rolleyes: Very timing, folks!

Fortunately, the Kinetic SuE was a good enough kit, as well as it is the Kitty Hawk Su-17 one. So, if AMK wants to start a new project, had better be of any kit which still doesn't exist in the quarter scale. What about a 1/48th scale IA-58 Pucará (injection-moulded, not resin), or even a Morane-Saulnier MS.760 Paris? 

• Like 1

Guys, if anyone is interested seeing how this one goes together, full link to the instructions here.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10451811

For me, I'll be going for this one over the Kitty hawk kit as it looks like it will go together much easier. I would most likely go for after market decals for both kits as there appears to be no stencil data for the hobby boss kit.

Hmm, a tough call. Hobby Boss is obviously simpler and less detailed in places (e.g. cockpit, main wheel bay, guns, etc.), but it does offer the intake splitter, the tow bar and retracted wings as an option. Kind of surprising it has no extended speed brake option. I presume it will be cheaper, but not sure if it's going to be cheap enough to justify coming with noticeably less weapon options, less detail and sparse decals.

If I find a good deal on it (e.g. around 30 EUR), I'll probably go for the HB kit plus some decal set since I don't need the engine or the speed brakes, but would prefer retracted wings and easier fuselage assembly.

Edited by Dudikoff

1 hour ago, Dudikoff said:

Hmm, a tough call. Hobby Boss is obviously simpler and less detailed in places (e.g. cockpit, main wheel bay, guns, etc.), but it does offer the intake splitter, the tow bar and retracted wings as an option. Kind of surprising it has no extended speed brake option. I presume it will be cheaper, but not sure if it's going to be cheap enough to justify coming with noticeably less weapon options, less detail and sparse decals.

If I find a good deal on it (e.g. around 30 EUR), I'll probably go for the HB kit plus some decal set since I don't need the engine or the speed brakes, but would prefer retracted wings and easier fuselage assembly.

Agree with you Dudikoff. 

The easier assembly does appeal more. Looking around at options for decals the stencil data, the stencils for polish SU-22M4s which is the import version of the same aircraft can be picked up for under 5 euros (£4) and plenty of polish decal sets available, so that might be an option. 

Su-22M-4 I know very well, I worked with her.^_^

HB can be worse than KH.HB made the right Su-17M-4R and needn't aftermarket.
Except known problems with KH need new nozzle(engine is overlong) , new decals(missing emblems,stencils only for Polish aircrafts, red 50 is for Su-17M-3 but with engine R-29 and is brown-green, no only green) and weapons ???At least half do not use. But missing target pod Delta-NG for Kh-23.For Kh-59 missing datalink ASP-8 and racks.Racks under the fuselage,those in the kit are only for tanks.
And especially for bug fixes,You lose a lot of detail!
Right now I'm building KH kit, 

but it's probably my last kit from KH.

1 hour ago, harvy5 said:

Su-22M-4 I know very well, I worked with her.^_^

HB can be worse than KH.HB made the right Su-17M-4R and needn't aftermarket.
Except known problems with KH need new nozzle(engine is overlong) , new decals(missing emblems,stencils only for Polish aircrafts, red 50 is for Su-17M-3 but with engine R-29 and is brown-green, no only green) and weapons ???At least half do not use. But missing target pod Delta-NG for Kh-23.For Kh-59 missing datalink ASP-8 and racks.Racks under the fuselage,those in the kit are only for tanks.
And especially for bug fixes,You lose a lot of detail!
Right now I'm building KH kit, 

but it's probably my last kit from KH.

So are you saving hobby boss got this one right? or is it the better looking kit?