FW190D-12 R-14 1/48 Hobby Boss

Here is the model pre-shaded and ready for second coat of rlm76. Being my first time to do this, I found it quite tedious and time consuming, but then that's why I love this hobby. I think this will produce good results and look forward to reaping the rewards of my labor.

IMG_3721.jpg

• Like 1

Here are the results of the pre-shade. I am quite happy at the subtle effect that it gives. I owe this one to "giemme"!

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3723_1.jpg

• Like 3

I got in an airbrushing frenzy and did all the camouflage today. I think it turned out well. Another first for me, I used rlm83 for the first time. I like it. I think there are more "Doras" in my future. God bless and hope your having a great weekend.

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

• Like 2

That looks very nice YM! I'm just finishing off the Eduard D-11, although I found that one to be an awful kit to build :(

I'd like to try one of these Hobbyboss Dora's as they're my favourite 190

I've never built an Eduard kit. I've heard good and bad things. What is it that makes your D-11 kit less than desireable?

I've never built an Eduard kit. I've heard good and bad things. What is it that makes your D-11 kit less than desireable?

It was mostly fit issues. The cowling ring, wing to fuselage, undercarriage... lots of niggling problems! Completely unlike their 109 E-4, which was lovely to build.

But it's nearly done

IMG_20151119_195144.jpg

Hope you don't mind me showing my one on here!

Cheers

Patrick

• Like 1

It was mostly fit issues. The cowling ring, wing to fuselage, undercarriage... lots of niggling problems! Completely unlike their 109 E-4, which was lovely to build.

But it's nearly done

IMG_20151119_195144.jpg

Hope you don't mind me showing my one on here!

Cheers

Patrick

Absolutely not, it's gorgeous. Mine's not far from being done as well, but I have not updated yet because I am dealing with some issues with the model. I will update soon. God bless.

Well, after some issues in finishing, I finally got it done. In my frustration I did not post some of the final details being put on. But, here she is. It is freehand airbrushed. These were the worst decals I have ever worked with. They were extremely fragile. Some had to be replaced by spares that I had. What experience do you have with Hobby Boss decals. Did I just get a bad set. It really does make me scared to buy another kit from them. Let me know what your experience with them is. I am pleased with the build with the exception of the canopy which appears to be crazed or marred in small areas. Not sure what caused it. It is on the inside. I was told that if you dipped the canopy in acrylic floor polish, what you guys call Kleer, then it would not craze if you used super glue to attach it to the model. That' all I can think of that caused it. Anyway enjoy the pics, and I will see you next build.

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

• Like 4

Nice work! I have had some experience with Hobby Boss decals - they are really tricky to use, they often curl over on themselves. You need some really warm, almost hot water, a spot of dish wash liquid helps too. Your model surface needs to be a gloss finish for the decals too, to help get them to slide into position. They don't like sliding about and can tear. It helps to get them into the best possible position before you slide off the backing paper.

A shame about the canopy, I've not had the same with any Hobby Boss canopy.

• Like 1

That's a really nice result! I wouldn't let the prospect of dodgy decals put you off a Hobby Boss kit if it is a subject you want to build, after all the after market will probably be able to sort you out.

Martin

• Like 1

Nice work! I have had some experience with Hobby Boss decals - they are really tricky to use, they often curl over on themselves. You need some really warm, almost hot water, a spot of dish wash liquid helps too. Your model surface needs to be a gloss finish for the decals too, to help get them to slide into position. They don't like sliding about and can tear. It helps to get them into the best possible position before you slide off the backing paper.

A shame about the canopy, I've not had the same with any Hobby Boss canopy.

The canopy was definitely somehow my doing. Thanks for the tips for Hobby Boss decals. I'll try that next time.

That's a really nice result! I wouldn't let the prospect of dodgy decals put you off a Hobby Boss kit if it is a subject you want to build, after all the after market will probably be able to sort you out.

Martin

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I wonder why decal quality varies so much from kit to kit. You think that a company such as Revell just as an example, wouldn't have the exact same decal quality consistently for ALL their kits. Maybe that's my experience. Maybe the quality of my work is what varies from kit to kit. :banghead:

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I wonder why decal quality varies so much from kit to kit. You think that a company such as Revell just as an example, wouldn't have the exact same decal quality consistently for ALL their kits. Maybe that's my experience. Maybe the quality of my work is what varies from kit to kit. :banghead:

It is one of life's mysteries! Revell (in house) decals are usually ok, Hasegawa is thick and the white sometimes 'cream', Academy in house decals are pretty bad/basic...

It's always a bonus when you see the Cartograph logo on box.

• Like 1

Erm, the wing flying control surfaces are wrong. One should be up, t'other down, not both down.

Nice apart from that.

Thanks. I guess I was just so excited that they were even positional that I didn't even consider if they were accurate. :banghead:

Nice job and nice paint. Good job.

I have a couple of these kits plus another 100 plus of 190's in varying lengths and scales. I wouldnt say I was obsessed though :o)

One note I dont know if you have the ailerons glued on or just loose but they are always one up and one down with the lowered aileron generally a little lower. depending on the direction the aircraft is turning. (down for up with the opposite aileron up for down as the aircraft banks. )

HTH John H.

• Like 1

Nice job and nice paint. Good job.

I have a couple of these kits plus another 100 plus of 190's in varying lengths and scales. I wouldnt say I was obsessed though :o)

One note I dont know if you have the ailerons glued on or just loose but they are always one up and one down with the lowered aileron generally a little lower. depending on the direction the aircraft is turning. (down for up with the opposite aileron up for down as the aircraft banks. )

HTH John H.

Yes, you weren't the only one that noticed that. I have learned something now about the real aircraft, and I won't make that mistake again. :doh:

• 4 weeks later...

John, sorry for being late on this, great result! :clap: :clap: I'm glad the preshading worked out for you, from what I can see you did it just right! :goodjob:

Ciao

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm sure I will do it again. Appreciate the nudge in the right direction.

Edited by yankeemodeller
  • Like 1

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm sure I will do it again. Appreciate the nudge in the right direction.

You're welcome :thumbsup2: You'll see that the more you try pre-shading, the more you'll get a hang of it (like with many other things, obviously) and combining it with post-shading and weathering can really set a model off.

Ciao

• Like 1

Good work! I'm building the HB Ta152 C-11 kit at the moment and I didn't have any issues with the decals - weird that yours were so different!

I've decided that the world hates me and those decals were satans way of telling me. :chair::winkgrin: