Airfix 1/72 Hurricane in Belgian service

Basilisk

Hi all,

I have one which I should have finished a long time ago. It was actually my first kit after my 33 years of hibernation from the hobby. I thought this new tool Hurricane will be a quick and easy build, so ideal to build as a first. Well, it didn't turn out to be a quick build and neither an easy build. So I better do a KUTA on it and get it finished.

I most likely build it as H33.

h33_ed_crash_04.jpg

H33 was shot down while intercepting a Do-17 during the phoney war.

On the other hand, H24 would also be a nice choice.

h30_rb.jpg

Because it does have an additional marking underneath the front cockpit window.

66_4.jpg

Does anyone know what this additional marking represents? Also I would think that the squadron marking circle with white text should be brown (with black outlines) and not all black. Airfix got it partial right in regards to the colour, but it is too small in size.

By the way, this link and this link have lots of information on Belgian Air Force Hurricanes.

This build made a short guest appearance in my BoB GB with my 1/48 Hurricane:

Hur72-1.jpg

Hur72-2.jpg

Hur72-3.jpg

Hur72-4.jpg

And that is where it is at the moment.

Hurri-Belg-1.jpg

So still a bit to do on it!

With a silver dope on the underside, I would appreciate any suggestions for airbrushing this (what paint works well for this).

Thanks, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
Poss copyright violation
  • Like 3

I do my silver dope by mixing Tamiya silver with some light grey and white. It looks fine to me and sprays a treat, but I give it a coat of Klear before I do anything else because it dusts like hell and gets everywhere if I don't!

Thanks Mitch for the suggestion, I will give it a try.

Glad to be here Mish.

Unfortunately not much happened, but I managed to glue the bottom fuselage on and I did some research on Belgian Hurricanes.

Hurri-Belg-2.jpg

But hey, better than nothing.

Cheers, Peter

Unfortunately, effort spent on research never really translates into a photo, does it? :lol:

If I can't find a picture of the aircraft I like to model then I won't do it - as simple as that. But fortunately the Belgian Hurricanes are well covered with pictures. And I decided to make H24 as it is the only Belgian Hurricane with a kill to its credit.

Made small progress in gluing the wings to the fuselage.

Hurri-Belg-3.jpg

Still some sanding and re-scribing of some panel lines to do before I can prime the model.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looking like a Hurricane Peter :)

You worried me for a moment.

Sorry, but my efforts went to other builds, resulting in further neglect of this Hurricane. But if not done by the end of the year, there is always KUTA XIIII.

Cheers, Peter