1/48 Airfix Merlin . RAF Afghanistan

Just joined the forum. Cheating a bit as I finished this a while ago.

Helicopters now my favourite. This model is one of Airfix's new type

manufacture. Very nice plastic to work with pliable yet springy.

Went together well. Little problem fitting the canopy but a bit of thought

and all went into place. quite a complex model It has an inner fuselage

and an outer so care is needed to accurately construct.

Used Vallejo Air for all paint coatings including primer. Use Lifecolor for

the effects. .To add that the panel joints are not as fixed wing. The joints

have rows of rivet both sides of each joint. Working photos from

Afghanistan shows the build up of dust around the rivets

Laurie

6_zps7a4gpalf.jpg2_zpshe0jyzb6.jpg12_zpsysxugjhv.jpg9_zpsvcgewpqq.jpg11_zpsc64fua4c.jpg13_zps4xo4uowk.jpg14_zps5l3wkjmv.jpg10_zpshx0wb02c.jpg16_zpscnxcugsb.jpg1_zps5wvc0mga.jpg6c3553a3-dfb5-4471-8eae-195716393bcf_zps8_zpsg4jyud1p.jpg">http://7_zpsvpkoof8p.jpg

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 31

That's looks great, don't see many of these built, did it go together okay?

Thanks for looking and the comments appreciated.

It went together like a dream With such a big model with twin fuselages I thought I was in for some difficulty.

There are so many large add ons. At times I could not believe it would work until i offered pieces up.

Congratulated who ever designed the sprue.

Small problem around the ramp but easily sorted. Also the last thing to be fitted the canopy. Could not see

how if I went wrong. But look carefully solved with a minute plasticrod between the amin canopy and the

side windows. Second thought don't look. But you will :weep:

Laurie

Looks good, nice lighting!

Thanks looks simple but quite a lot of work finding hidden places in the fuselage to hide.

Just bought one in the sale, I can't wait to build it. Any advice?

Not really just plan well and look ahead. Very good instructions.

I really like the lighting... very realistic.

Thanks for looking in.

Brilliant..I flew in the back of that one many times out there..you've brought back some great memories....lovley build

I like that. Building. 12 vehicles and aircraft for a large shelf scenario of Afghanistan. My tribute to those lost and injured.

Very nice big beasty.

You are right but she looks friendly. if you take a look at photos during the Afghanistan campaigh it shows what are beating they took. Some look on the surface ready for the breakers yard.

Mechanics and Engineers must have torn their hair out to see their charges in such a state.

Laurie

That's a nice Merlin Laurie I like the lighting .

:goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

Like others here, I just bought one from the Airfix black friday deal. I was planning to turn it into an RCAF Cormorant using the Belcher bits set.

It looks like one part of the nose antenna has gone awol in one of your pics :winkgrin: ! However a very nice looking build! :goodjob:

• Like 1

That's a nice Merlin Laurie I like the lighting .

:goodjob:

Guy

Thanks Guy for your comments.

Looks the business! The lit up photos look especially realistic.

There's a rumour Father Christmas might be bringing me one of these....

Luck is on your side great model.

Like others here, I just bought one from the Airfix black friday deal. I was planning to turn it into an RCAF Cormorant using the Belcher bits set.

It looks like one part of the nose antenna has gone awol in one of your pics :winkgrin: ! However a very nice looking build! :goodjob:

Interesting Paul.

Antenna. Taliban sniper got it just after I had finished it Paul. Thought I would leave it as war damaged. Well spotted regret no prizes. :weep:

Hello LauirieS - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Merlin'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.The interior lighting and diorama base are imaginative and compliment the aircraft.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Cracking build there mate! I could almost go and service it!

With regards the broken aerial on the nose. If it helps, had we found that on the real thing we'd have probably removed the two outboard aerials and covered the mount with silver 'speed tape' as a temporary repair until spares arrived.

Danny (ex-Merlin groundcrew)

Thanks Danny. If you were here in your capacity as ground crew (in charge) I would get you to stick a bit on. Thinks do they use Super glue on the real thing :winkgrin:

Hello LauirieS - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Merlin'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.The interior lighting and diorama base are imaginative and compliment the aircraft.All the best,Paul.

Thanks Paul for looking in and the very nice comments.

Laurie

Nice! I particularly like the lighting effect

Martin

Thanks Martin. Very nice of you to look in and reply.

PS if the reward is the lovely lady I am prepared to join your Devil's own satanic herd :winkgrin:

Terrific build and thanks for the tip on the glazing, will look out for that. Just doing one myself and also bought two more for future builds in the Airfix Black Friday deal.

Where did you conceal the switch for the lighting ?

Regards

John

• Like 1

That,s a beautifully built Merlin Laurie,the lighting really comes over well,great stuff. :thumbsup:

MAny thanks for that Steve.

Terrific build and thanks for the tip on the glazing, will look out for that. Just doing one myself and also bought two more for future builds in the Airfix Black Friday deal.

Where did you conceal the switch for the lighting ?

Regards

John

Hope yours goes well John.

Bought the LED kit on Ebay. Consists of 3 led (yellow) on a strip. Took wires down the middle of the hold/cockpit then thro the twin fuselage out thro the bottom. The kit comes with a box to house a PP9 battery. The box has a switch at one end. Got to do a camouflage effort when I get down to completing the diorama (although it really is just a big scene).

Just to say although most of the glazing had errors they seem to disappear when it is all put together.

Nice work there! Pity not seen more of this kit since it's release. Mines making slow progress & hope it comes out as good as yours, well done!!

Dave

Look forward to seeing yours. Always good to see others ideas. Thanks for the comments

Very Very nice! :goodjob:

Thanks Ivan for popping in and the comments.

Laurie