Cyber-Hobby 1/72 Meteor F.3 in the white from 616 Squadron

Basilisk

Hello everybody,

Better late than never - and as there aren't too many participants in this GB and surprisingly no one is building the Cyber-Hobby kit, I have a go at it and with a bit of time off work over Christmas, I may even finishing it.

I like to build Q EE239 from 616 Squadron in the temporary white colours equipped with Welland engines (one of four repainted).

large.jpg?action=d&cat=photographs

By the way, are there any pictures of these white Meteors showing the serial numbers?

Well, still a bit to go, but I have to start somewhere.

Meteor-F3-1.jpg

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

If there were photos of white Meteors showing the serials, I would expect Chris Shores and Chris Thomas to have found them. 2 TAF Vol 3 has just the one photo of a white-painted Meteor, "Q" taken from a front port quarter view, but more head-on than yours (p.541). The book gives (p.540) the serials and codes of the 4 aircraft as follows:

EE235 YQ-P, EE239 YQ-Q, EE240 YQ-R and EE241 YQ-S.

Funny, I was just yesterday thinking, "Hmm, surprised nobody's doing one of the white ones!" Glad to see you pop in. I feel guilty about not taking part, but I'm busy with F-5s for that GB now, and it would probably be unrealistic for me to get a Meteor done before the deadline. Still.... :hmmm:

bob

Funny, I was just yesterday thinking, "Hmm, surprised nobody's doing one of the white ones!" Glad to see you pop in. I feel guilty about not taking part, but I'm busy with F-5s for that GB now, and it would probably be unrealistic for me to get a Meteor done before the deadline. Still.... :hmmm:

bob

Go on Bob you know you want to...;-)

If there were photos of white Meteors showing the serials, I would expect Chris Shores and Chris Thomas to have found them. 2 TAF Vol 3 has just the one photo of a white-painted Meteor, "Q" taken from a front port quarter view, but more head-on than yours (p.541). The book gives (p.540) the serials and codes of the 4 aircraft as follows:

EE235 YQ-P, EE239 YQ-Q, EE240 YQ-R and EE241 YQ-S.

Thanks Seahawk for this information. Yes unfortunately only one picture in the book from a similar angle as the pictures on the web.

bob

The more the merrier, so have a go at a Meteor!

But I found some pictures in my book stash I haven't seen on the web. Even though they are side-on shots, the serial can't be read as the printing quality isn't good enough.

The picture below is published in the Ducimus "RAF Camouflage and markings" book:

Meteor-F3-5.jpg

Of note is the white paint on the front wheel tire - it looks like no masking was used when painting the mudguard white. So it is not silver!

And this in-flight picture I found in "Meteor, Gloster's First Jet Fighter", published by Midland Counties in 1985:

Meteor-F3-4.jpg

Here of interest are the fluid leaks on the engine covers above and below the wing. I assume they have been cleaned after each flight as none of them can be seen on the ground pictures.

I have to admit that I knew very little on the Meteor. But to me, making models is also to read up on the history and I did this a bit last week. But knowing stuff is also a bit of a handicap as I then like to correct things...

Fortunately the Cyber-Hobby kit is rather good. The only thing I don't like are the "obese" engines. Specially in the width they look a bit too fat. But I guess that is better than the anorexic representation in the MPM kit! As this is very difficult to fix, I just leave it alone. But with other things I had to do something about.

Firstly I invested in the Cyber-Hobby Mk.I kit for the engines as it just was a bit too empty in there:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/meteor/images/cos_meteorf3_06.jpg

I know painting black is an option, but having a representation of the Welland engine is nicer.

Meteor-F3-2.jpg

This also gave me the correct control stick!

And as I never used PE in the past, I thought why not having a go at this stuff.

Meteor-F3-3.jpg

Added the parts which need painting. After that I can attach the remaining pre-painted parts.

This Eduard PE set comes with details for the flaps. Unfortunately the flaps are well hidden in photographs by the engine and the few pictures I found from the rear show them all in the up position. Are the flaps always up when the aircraft is parked? No loss of hydraulic pressure and they drop by themselves?

Would appreciate a comment if anybody knows.

Until next week,

Cheers, Peter

I don't know about the flaps, but th model looks fab. Awaiting delivery of one I bought recently, so it's nice to see how it all goes together! Very tasty etch too.

Yes it is a nice kit. I guess I have to ask the flaps question in the aircraft forum.

Got a bit further in the build. I added some canon details to the fuselage using Albion bras tubes.

Meteor-F3-7.jpg

Meteor-F3-8.jpg

Unfortunately the kit representation of the Welland engine has little in common with the real engine.

Av_GB_4603_jet-history_Welland_p078_W.pn

So I added some lumps and bumps and wires to represent the busy look on the front.

Meteor-F3-9.jpg

I didn't do anything about the rear of the engine as it won't be visible in the model

I added some black primer which gives a good starting point in painting the front of the engine.

Meteor-F3-10.jpg

I also primed the cockpit parts black at the same time.

Meteor-F3-11.jpg

Next is painting and finishing the cockpit.

Cheers, Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't given up on this build, but it just progresses a bit slower than expected.

I finished the Welland engines.

Meteor-F3-12.jpg

As stated previously, I only concentrated in detailing the front as the rest won't be visible and isn't a true representation anyway.

I also managed to finish the cockpit. It was the first time I used PE and I am pleased with the result.

Meteor-F3-14.jpg

Meteor-F3-17.jpg

Meteor-F3-16.jpg

Meteor-F3-18.jpg

I also used a silver pencil for the paint chipping in the pit. I tried several brands and Prismacolor Verithin Metallic Silver 753 worked best for me.

I don't see this build progressing any further soon as I will be busy with three upcoming GBs. But I do have a completed cockpit and learned lots how to work with PE!

I will still add to the WIP when progress is made.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

The etch looks lovely and the Wellands rather nice too. Having got the kit I was very surprised to see nothing at all for the front of the engines, not so much as a plain disc. Even the old Matchbox kit has something basic for the Derwents.