De Havilland MEGA Group Build Chat

DAG058

16 hours ago, Tony Mollica said:

I would like to join with an Airfix Chippy please. I'll probably start it at the beginning of April.

Many thanks

Tony

Looking forward to seeing your entry Tony! 

We have had a flurry of new builds over the last day or two, welcome to all our new participants. And as I said before, please join in if you have a de Havilland model in the stash.

I was away from BM a for a while between October 2016 and Jan 2016 due to illness. I feel quite daft in that I hadn't realised that the Mosquito GB and DH Group build had merged, Doh :dunce: !

I'll be building the Matchbox 1/72 Mosquito converted to a PR-XV with the 1995 Paragon Designs conversion set. It's going to be an old fashioned kit bash with a little conversion thrown in for a little added interest :).

I'll put a placeholder in in the next couple of days. I've had the kit and conversion ready and waiting for around 7 months - looking forward to this.

Best regards
TonyT

Edit: I had written 'NF XV instead of PT XV. Doh :dunce: !

Edited by TonyTiger66
Wrong aircraft name!
  • Like 3

I'll join in this one in a bit if I may, got an Airfix Tiger moth and an A-model Vampire F1 in the stash, both of which I'll be building as aircraft from my local RAuxAF unit, 501 (County of Gloucester) sqn.

I'll put up a placeholder thread tomorrow to tide over until I can get started.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2017 at 7:40 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

I was away from BM a for a while between October 2016 and Jan 2016 due to illness. I feel quite daft in that I hadn't realised that the Mosquito GB and DH Group build had merged, Doh :dunce: !

I'll be building the Matchbox 1/72 Mosquito converted to a NF-XV with the 1995 Paragon Designs conversion set. It's going to be an old fashioned kit bash with a little conversion thrown in for a little added interest :).

I'll put a placeholder in in the next couple of days. I've had the kit and conversion ready and waiting for around 7 months - looking forward to this.

Best regards
TonyT

Glad to see your fighting fit Tony and welcome to the GB.

14 hours ago, bull-nut said:

I'll join in this one in a bit if I may, got an Airfix Tiger moth and an A-model Vampire F1 in the stash, both of which I'll be building as aircraft from my local RAuxAF unit, 501 (County of Gloucester) sqn.

I'll put up a placeholder thread tomorrow to tide over until I can get started.

Nice choices and good to see the local link. Welcome and I'm looking forward to seeing your builds.

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'd like to join in with a Special Hobby Hornet Mk 1 if I may. I'll post a WiP thread forthwith! 

Welcome CedB and glad to have you aboard! 

Its been been another good week all round, plenty of progress and a lot more new enteries which is fantastic to see. Again I'd like to invite anyone who has not yet entered to please do so. With so much choice of aircraft types and kit variations it's proving to be an interesting GB!

• Like 1

Hi Guys

What a lovely g/b.....I will drop in with a 1/48 Chipmunk.....but don't know when I can get started yet............will open a thread up soon

Rgds

Brian

• Like 1

I think I need to ask the mods on this one ... a B.E. 2c

B.E.2c? It's clear, at least to me, that Geoffrey de Havilland designed and few the B.E.1 and B.E.2.  I believe he also designed the B.E.2a and B.E.2b, though design credit for those two is unclear.  The B.E. 2c is a development of de Havilland's design, but ...

"Credit for the B.E. 2c configuration, however, must go to a young mathematician from Cambridge, Edward Busk, who made several changes to the original designs. He set the lower plane 2ft back from the upper plane, increased the dihedral, switched to conventional ailerons, re set the horizontal tailplane and placed a triangular fin in front of the rudder. With the pilot now at the back, this configuration provided an excellent reconnaissance platform – the primary role of military aircraft at that time. " (Aviation News http://www.aviation-news.co.uk/archive/RAFat90.html )

Other References:

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Aircraft_Factory_B.E.2

The Vintage Aviator http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/be2/history-be2-series

Well, I wouldn't be asking ... except, I've found a Roden BE2c in my stash, theres some paint on it*, some parts have been removed for the sprue, but nothing has been glued so well within the 25% rule.

*Some paint: mostly white primer, some nasty brown stripes over wing ribs and some ghastly blue paint.  The brown I can understand, but the blue is appalling.  It had to be me that applied it, but I'm going to plea temporary insanity ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

B.E.2c? It's clear, at least to me, that Geoffrey de Havilland designed and few the B.E.1 and B.E.2.  I believe he also designed the B.E.2a and B.E.2b, though design credit for those two is unclear.  The B.E. 2c is a development of de Havilland's design, but ...

He was a designer at the RAF during the time his BE1 design evolved to the BE2b, so it would be reasonable to assume he was involved to soem degree at least with this. He left however in Jan 1914 first to the AID and then shortly afterwards to Airco. The BE2c didn't fly until May 1914 ands was a major redesign by Edward Busk, Geoffrey de Havilland had little or nothing to do with this.

However, as the last De Havilland  design derivatives built after De Havilland ceased to exist have been permitted, I would have thought derivatives of one of his first designs would also be permitted?

• Like 1

On 17/03/2017 at 9:06 PM, Robert Stuart said:

I think I need to ask the mods on this one ... a B.E. 2c

"Credit for the B.E. 2c configuration, however, must go to a young mathematician from Cambridge, Edward Busk, who made several changes to the original designs. He set the lower plane 2ft back from the upper plane, increased the dihedral, switched to conventional ailerons, re set the horizontal tailplane and placed a triangular fin in front of the rudder. With the pilot now at the back, this configuration provided an excellent reconnaissance platform – the primary role of military aircraft at that time. " (Aviation News http://www.aviation-news.co.uk/archive/RAFat90.html )

Other References:

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Aircraft_Factory_B.E.2

The Vintage Aviator http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/be2/history-be2-series

Well, I wouldn't be asking ... except, I've found a Roden BE2c in my stash, theres some paint on it*, some parts have been removed for the sprue, but nothing has been glued so well within the 25% rule.

*Some paint: mostly white primer, some nasty brown stripes over wing ribs and some ghastly blue paint.  The brown I can understand, but the blue is appalling.  It had to be me that applied it, but I'm going to plea temporary insanity ...

You have presented a very worthy case. It seems Geoffrey de Havilland played a significant role in the design of the BE2, although it is not strictly a product of De Havilland.

Is there anyone out there who has any further material or reasons  that could accept or reject this in to the GB? I for one am very happy to let it in for the above reason however I like to get as many opinions as possible.

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 1

I have done updated the weekly statistics for the De Havilland Group Build Chat on page one. A quick summary;

Thus far we have 55 enteries, spread over 18 Aircraft types. Mosquitos are the most popular with 19 entries, followed by 9 Vampires/VampireTrainers. The galleries have 4 completed builds.

I must apologise for this week, I have not been around much, a busy week at work and other commitments has meant a lack of modelling time and time on the forums. I have still managed to keep an eye on your work though and it seems that everything is progressing very nicely, well done to all. 

If your still contemplating entering a build for this GB please do so. You don't need to have pre-registered, just start a thread for your build. We look forward to you joining us!  

• Like 1

I'm having a bit of a mad half hour, considering future projects.  One of the things I am considering is a Venom NF.3 in 1/72.  I must stress that it won't happen in this GB though...

So I'm looking for advice and suggestions.  Firstly, did the NF.3 have ejection seats?   Secondly, were the seats in line like in the Vampire T.11, or were they staggered like in the Sea Venom FAW.21?

I have an IOM Sea Venom kit, which is a repop of the old Frog kit.  The canopy in this kit is utterly abysmal!  I could use a vacform replacement from Pavla, but I'm not sure about the canopy itself.  Was the NF.3 canopy bulged above the pilot's seat like the FAW21 or was it similar to the Vampire T.11?

I have come up with a couple of options for the build.  One is to use the cockpit and rear fuselage from the Airfix Vampire T.11 grafted on to the Frog kit.  The other is to use the nose, booms and outer wings of the Frog kit grafted onto the Airfix Vampire.  Any suggestions?  

13 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm having a bit of a mad half hour, considering future projects.  One of the things I am considering is a Venom NF.3 in 1/72.  I must stress that it won't happen in this GB though...

So I'm looking for advice and suggestions.  Firstly, did the NF.3 have ejection seats?   Secondly, were the seats in line like in the Vampire T.11, or were they staggered like in the Sea Venom FAW.21?

I have an IOM Sea Venom kit, which is a repop of the old Frog kit.  The canopy in this kit is utterly abysmal!  I could use a vacform replacement from Pavla, but I'm not sure about the canopy itself.  Was the NF.3 canopy bulged above the pilot's seat like the FAW21 or was it similar to the Vampire T.11?

I have come up with a couple of options for the build.  One is to use the cockpit and rear fuselage from the Airfix Vampire T.11 grafted on to the Frog kit.  The other is to use the nose, booms and outer wings of the Frog kit grafted onto the Airfix Vampire.  Any suggestions?  

My answers are based upon building the Matchbox Sea Venom many, many, many, many years ago.

Given that there was no difference in the cockpit in the Matchbox kit I'm of the view the NF.3 was basically a landlubber Sea Venom and was pretty much similar in the areas mentioned (although I'm happy to be proven wrong on this).

There's another thing buzzing away at the back of what used to be my tiny brain, didn't the NF.3 have tiny fixed slats on the very outboard section of the mainplane next the tanks or was that a feature of the Sea Venom that was removed from the NF.3...   ...like I say, it was a while back and a lot's happened since then.

47 minutes ago, Wez said:

There's another thing buzzing away at the back of what used to be my tiny brain, didn't the NF.3 have tiny fixed slats on the very outboard section of the mainplane next the tanks or was that a feature of the Sea Venom that was removed from the NF.3...  

Ooh!  Interesting.  Those are definitely there on the Frog kit.   Lots more research required, I think. :thumbsup:

Please excuse my absense from this one lately but between moderating the 70s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact GB and life in general I've been rather lacking in free time. Sorry gang :sorry:

15 minutes ago, Col. said:

Please excuse my absense from this one lately but between moderating the 70s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact GB and life in general I've been rather lacking in free time. Sorry gang :sorry:

I know the feeling Col, life often gets in the way of things. I was hoping to get a build entered into the 70s NATO v WP, time is escaping me though.

• Like 1

Hi, after nearly two months of not building anything is it ok for me to pop back? My 1:72 Tamiya Mossie B/PR Mk.IV kit just looks so good I find my mojo has been restored! Quickly browsing through these GB build threads it seems the Tamiya decal option for 109 Sqn PFF plane is still vacant in 1:72 scale - @Ozzy does that but in larger scale, so I hope you won´t mind me doing the same scheme?!

V-P

• Like 4

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Hi, after nearly two months of not building anything is it ok for me to pop back? My 1:72 Tamiya Mossie B/PR Mk.IV kit just looks so good I find my mojo has been restored! Quickly browsing through these GB build threads it seems the Tamiya decal option for 109 Sqn PFF plane is still vacant in 1:72 scale - @Ozzy does that but in larger scale, so I hope you won´t mind me doing the same scheme?!

V-P

Not at all V-P, I think @PhantomBigStu has done the 109Sqn scheme in the gentleman's scale, his aircraft is looking mighty fine in the gallery.

Stus' Mossie really is mighty fine looking - congratulations! The Worst Co-host Ever just found there is a separate gallery for Mosquito builds, thanks Ozzy for pointing that to me 😇. So, no pru bird or pathfinder for my build. Actually I got a lot of stuff, with a sublime fit in the best Tamiya-exclusive way, assembled in an hour earlier this evening. Will start a build thread tomorrow 👍. V-P

• Like 1