De Havilland MEGA Group Build Chat

DAG058

On 07/02/2017 at 10:44, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

Less than 2 weeks before we start , I just have to make up my mind on wich kit I will build first (so far in my stash Tiger Moth , Mosquito , Vampire ..) .

If you build a Vampire, will it be in French markings? 

11 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

If you build a Vampire, will it be in French markings? 

Good morning Enzo

I have the Airfix T11 and the Xtrakit/Special Hobby FB5 (with the old Heller model) in my stash with various decals sheets I am not sure yet what markings I will represent , as I have already built the Special Hobby/Azur/Xtrakit kit as a French Vampire in NMF for the French Fancy Gb I would like to build the Airfix T11 first , anyway I think that my first entries for this Gb will be the Mosquitoes as I plan to build at least one FBVI and one NF XIII  ..

And what do you plan to build for this Gb ?

Best regards

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

58 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

And what do you plan to build for this Gb ?

I will be building a Mosquito FB.6 and  a Vampire FB.5, both in 4 Sqn RAF markings.

I will also be building an RAF Comet C.4.

• Like 1

I am getting excited now, just under a week until we cross the start line! 

Feel free to share some photos of your proposed builds. Here's my haul, ready to go.

http://9de0b97c4b95a20ea704fda631aeedc7_zps0sjy

Airfix 1/48 DH Sea Vixen. Resin seats, brass pitot tubes, PE interior and Ladder. And a bit of reference material.

I've also got this DH Sea Venom which is partially started as a back up!

http://3e08939ae025ac5a3497c5efb0679b0c_zpsphkt

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nimrod54 said:

I didn't sign up for this Group Build originally, but if I am permitted to join at this late stage, I have ordered a De Havilland Albatros which I thought would be a nice subject to include.

Yes, welcome in! That goes to everyone, this Group Build is open to all, even if you signed up previously. You can start a build even on the very last day of the GB if you were that way inclined.

• Like 1

Hmm, snuck on me, probably not going to enter straight away, not tracked down a cheap tamiya BIV, thoguh strangly no shortage of cheap FBVI's and also spend all my money on other kits, though I still have quite a lot of amazon voucher balance and they do have the BIV albeit not cheap 

7 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hmm, snuck on me, probably not going to enter straight away, not tracked down a cheap tamiya BIV, thoguh strangly no shortage of cheap FBVI's and also spend all my money on other kits, though I still have quite a lot of amazon voucher balance and they do have the BIV albeit not cheap 

Come on Stu, I thought you'd be first in the gallery again! 

• Like 1

What a co-incidence in my cupboard I have Airfix's Sea Vixen which my eldest got me for Christmas four year's ago,really no excuse not to 

build it now so I better throw my hat in the ring for this one!

• Like 2

I have many options. My first choice for the Mosquito GB was going to be a 72nd Revell/Hasegawa kit modified into Highball configuration, which would carry over here quite well. For the dH GB it was an Airfix Tiger Moth that I was going to turn into a Super Tiger (as modified by the Tiger Moth Club). But, given that I'm about 3 GBs behind THIS YEAR ALONE already, I doubt that I'll enter anything. (Big surprise there...)

However, I will hang around, look over your shoulders and tell you what you're doing wrong and what colour it should actually be. Being a host gives me that right. Nyahh nyahh.

;)

• Like 1

Going to start with a 1/48 Trumpeter Vampire, then a Tamiya 1/48 Mossie. 

Can you build the Mossie wheels up does anyone know, may get the Airfix kit if not, want to do a dogfight double with a Hobbyboss Me262 (not for this GB though).

46 minutes ago, Doug Rogers said:

Going to start with a 1/48 Trumpeter Vampire, then a Tamiya 1/48 Mossie. 

Can you build the Mossie wheels up does anyone know, may get the Airfix kit if not, want to do a dogfight double with a Hobbyboss Me262 (not for this GB though).

Don't think it's an option the kit is designed to accomodate but having done so with one of their Beaufighter kits the quality of parts should it an easy task.

21 minutes ago, Col. said:

Don't think it's an option the kit is designed to accomodate but having done so with one of their Beaufighter kits the quality of parts should it an easy task.

@Doug Rogers, if the parts are laid out like the 1/72 then it's a simple job, the wing doors ones just pop in place with careful gluing and the tail wheel just needs some minor surgery to reshape it. @DAG058 I know poor form for me not being first off the mark, I  have found a cheap biv from a seller in JP so maybe if I can find some money down the back of the sofa I can enter in a few weeks :)

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Please let me in with a DH 53 Humming Bird. I started to scratch one many years ago but I never were satisfied with the wing ribs from tape so they were cleaned and ready to be corrected or re-done from scratch (I used plans from Aeroplane Monthly that are incorrect for the airframe I'm planning, the ill-fated G-EBHX from the Shuttleworth Collection). The fuselage is also bent, so I will use one of those old Airfix Tiger Moths, as suggested in Alan Laird's article for Airfix Magazine, 44 years ago!

DH53-01sm.jpg

1047828-large.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CarLos said:

Please let me in with a DH 53 Humming Bird. I started to scratch one many years ago but I never were satisfied with the wing ribs from tape so they were cleaned and ready to be corrected or re-done from scratch (I used plans from Aeroplane Monthly that are incorrect for the airframe I'm planning, the ill-fated G-EBHX from the Shuttleworth Collection). The fuselage is also bent, so I will use one of those old Airfix Tiger Moths, as suggested in Alan Laird's article for Airfix Magazine, 44 years ago!

DH53-01sm.jpg

1047828-large.jpg

Your in! Thanks for joining.

It's good to see people's Build threads starting to come through. Keep them coming! 

• Like 1

We are starting to rack them up now, a great selection so far! I'm really looking forward to seeing what other enteries we get in the coming weeks. I'm wondering who will be up first with a 633 Sqn Mossie, a DH 106 Comet, a Dragon Rapide...the list could go on! 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 1:24 PM, CarLos said:

DH53-01sm.jpg

1047828-large.jpg

Arrrghhh!!!!! That was me! Was that 44 years ago?! I've still got that model somewhere, probably now in several pieces - what I do remember is that using the wings from Frog's Moth was no good despite the much better surface detail - the old Airfix Tiger Moth was soooo crude, the variation in wing depth at root and tip could easily be filed out of the Aifix thick wing to suit. This is a great use for the dreadful old Tiger fuselage - its closer to a Humming Bird than a Tiger Moth :o. Having already 'restored' my 40-odd year old Dove in last year's KUTA, I might have a go at my Humming Bird in the next one. Thank you for the reminder! 

Edited by alancmlaird
Reason for edit? Never explain, never apologise.
  • Like 2

Its all CarLos's fault. I delved into the loft to see if I could find my old humming bird model - didn't - but found this lot instead.....

De%20Havilland%2001_zps2qyungp8.jpg

Now I've got to admit, I was a little surprised that in this, the 100th anniversary of WW1, there was no specific group build voted in. But, of course, several of the group builds can be applied to that very conflict.
Anyway, the kits are: DH1 (Phoenix vacform), DH2 (Revell), DH4 (Airfix), DH5 (Merlin) and DH6, my 40 year old scratch build, inadequate and crashed!
If Mr Matrix can do two, I could have a go at this lot! Much less intimidating than the acres of surface area of an airliner, and rigging a biplane is positively somnambulistic.
So that's it then - 'As easy as one two six',  subtitled 'seemed like a good idea at the time' or 'Biting off more that I can chew'.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alancmlaird said:

... rigging a biplane is positively somnambulistic...

First time I've heard it described thus but will take your word for it (even if I did have to look up that word)