De Havilland MEGA Group Build Chat

DAG058

Righto then, I'll step forward. Most likely with the Caribou that I was going to build for the Radial Engines GB that didn't get a start. Unless I do it in the interim, in which case... Tiger Moths (in 2 scales), Mosquitoes (also in 2 scales), numerous Twotters and a Sea Vixen (in case I don't get to it for the Made in GB GB); one of those will most likely make the cut.

• Like 1

Thank you all for signing up.

That puts us 1 away from the magic number 30. Anyone else wanting to join?

I can't believe that there's any GB that Enzo hasn't got his name down for let alone this one (it's right up his street)!

Come on Darth Matrix, you know you want to... :wicked:

• Like 2

OK, twist my arm - in with a Mossie. It will be one of two 464 Sqn aircraft in which WO Bill Kinloch, a very close mate of my father's, was Navigator - either HR185/SB-Z, used on the Aarhus raid, or PZ350, in which he and PLTO Joe Mulligan, his pilot, were killed on 13 January 1945. It will probably be the former, as I haven't been able to establish an aircraft code for PZ350 - neither the Squadron ORB, David Vincent's "Mosquito Monograph" nor "The Gestapo Hunters" gives any indication, and it may be that the aircraft had not been allocated a code before it was lost.

• Like 2

Well we have hit the 30 mark, making this eligible for the vote.

Confirmed. The GB will also need two co-hosts.

The poll will take place in November. That seems a long time in the future, but it will be upon us sooner than we expect. So, I would recommend that the co-hosts keep the discussion going to maintain interest up to November.

In the meantime, I have edited the title of the thread to remind me that the GB has qualified.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did we ever get a ruling on the de Havilland Canada eligibility?

Also, the question of when - de Havilland's first ever aircraft flew (briefly) in December 1909. Other significant types' first flights are dH60 Moth February '25, the dH.82 Tiger Moth in October '31, dh.98 Mosquito November '40 and the dH.106 Comet in July '49. GdH was born in July '82 and died in May '65.

@DAG058 if you're in need of a co-host, I'll put my hand up, but only because I heard that there was free beer and dancing girls.

• Like 1

My favourite Group Build of all those proposed this year, so I'm really pleased that it did so well (and a bit surprised too if I'm honest).

Just three DH aircraft in my stash (DH9, Cirrus Moth and Dragon Rapide), so if the timetable allows I may try to build them all :)

Cliff

• Like 1

Well we made it! Well done to everyone who vote and got this across the line.

I know there was a bit of controversy regarding GBs which are purely for aircraft. As an armour and aircraft builder myself I can both sides and feel for the armour guys. However if we can use this GB to encourage the armour guys (or any genre for that matter!) to build an aircraft that would be great. With DH being so varied from bi-planes right into the jet age and airliners I'm sure it will prove to be a huge hit.

With regards to eligibility, anything conceived before the merger is good in my eyes. As is anything from DH Canada.

@Rob G thanks for stepping forward! This will be my first GB and I will need as much help as possible to keep the chickens in the pen! Especially with all that beer and dancing girls distracting us. 

• Like 2

If I may I would enter my started DH 88 Comet which did not get a long way in the non injected GB. If not I would likely enter my Classic Airframes Sea Hornet, or - depending on how bold I am - my IsraDecal DH89 dragon Rapide in AA livery. All 1:48.

René

• Like 1

Well we have a provision date set up! I will let Enzo announce it in due course once he has everything nailed down.

Hopefully you'll all have lots of nice De Havilland models on your Christmas list! I have a few kits tucked away in the stash for this one so I'm going to start getting some aftermarket together. I'm really looking forward to this one!

As you will no doubt have noticed, the De Havilland GB and the Mosquito STGB will run pretty much concurrently.  This could dilute the entry pool for both GBs. 

So, the hosts for both GBs have got together and decided to amalgamate them. 

The dates will remain the same  18 Feb 2017 to 11 Jun 2017.

To honour the Mosquito STGB, there will be two galleries - one specifically for Mosquitos and one for other DH products.  This will give Mosquito fans an extra four weeks to complete their builds!

My thanks go to the hosts of both GBs - TEMPEST MK5, vppelt68, Col., DAG058 and Rob G - for being so enthusiastic about the transition.  This is going to be a good one!

Oh...    and the hosts have decided to rename this GB... :)  

• Like 4

Thanks Enzo for sorting this out! And thank you to the Mosquito STGB hosts and my fellow DH co host for coming together to come up with a plan.

It seems to me to be a great decision, and I'm sure this will be a very successful Group Build to kick off 2017!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

I'm sure this will be a very successful Group Build to kick off 2017!

I'm looking forward to it.  

I'd like to chuck my hat into the ring with a IV Sqn Mosquito FB.6, a IV Sqn Vampire and an RAF Comet C.4.

A question to the hosts:

Last year I entered the Tiger Moth GB but didn't go further than building the cockpit base, applying PE bits to the instrument panels and interior cockpit walls and painting these parts. The build thread is here:

Would this qualify for the GB as less than 25% built?

If not, I have an unstarted Vampire that I could build.

Cheers

Jaime

On 28/11/2016 at 10:22 AM, Caerbannog said:

If I may I would enter my started DH 88 Comet which did not get a long way in the non injected GB. 

How far into it did you get? 

4 hours ago, jrlx said:

Last year I entered the Tiger Moth GB...Would this qualify for the GB as less than 25% built?

Ive just had a look through your build, it looks very impressive! I'd say it's eligible for this GB. Hopefully you'll get it completed in time to finish the Vampire also! 

• Like 2