Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Nelson + Pontos detail set

Chango

brilliant job very tempting I have the length & beam space for one when finished but cant find height dimensions ?have you a finished height regards Bill....

It's been a busy week; I'll try to get you some real life measurements this weekend. :thanks:

Beautiful! Those winches in post #44 looks like models in their own right, really quite detailed. There are an awful lot of touches like this throughout your build that hold the attention for quite a while! Excellent!

Thanks! I'm very happy with how this build is turning out so far myself. All those Pontos details really turn this kit into something special.

Here's a couple of overview shots of Nellie showing off her new and far more subdued hull plate job:

xSUZBaB.jpg

vdqMSqp.jpg

Definitely not a little model!

Edited by Chango
  • Like 4

Brilliant build mate, enjoying watching her develop. I love ww2 Royal Navy battleships, especially Rodney and Nelson. Defo going to attempt one of them after my next build (IJN Zuikaku), by then the 1/350 scale versions should be available (hopefully).

Looking forward to seeing her complete, and no doubt picking a few pointers up along the way.

Regards,

Neil

• Like 1

Thanks all, I'm feeling 'da love! :heart:

Gotta say, before starting this build I had little to no interest in the RN but Nellie has grown on me and I've really become enamored with this class of ships. It's even sparked a new interest in me for WWII era Britain itself.

Downright criminal how the British government didn't see fit to save at least one of these classic WW2 era battleships for future generations :weep: ... it's clear to me now that the Royal Navy of that era was truly something to be proud of.

Edited by Chango
  • Like 2

Great build going on here, really enjoyed catching up on this thread. I would love to have this as a Rodney but unfortunately space and $$$$$ prevail (SWMBO needs a new kitchen and bathroom first!). There is an interesting book out there on the life of Rodney, which would give a bit of an insight on the class and how they operated.

https://books.google.ca/books/about/H_M_S_Rodney.html?id=oGPWAAAACAAJ&source=kp_cover&hl=en

Well worth a nighttime read!

Keep up the cracking work

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick update...

5440zR0.jpg

kYeMuq2.jpg

Still moving forward; I got all those little circle plates along the waterline on, got the propshafts and ridder mostly done and am now working on the hull porthole frame/eyebrows.It won't be too long 'till I can start painting the hull...

Edited by Chango
  • Like 10

Very nice - I just had a look on eBay and there are heaps of refined pieces which you can add to your model, as long as you have deep enough pockets - wood decks, guns, railings and so on.

Cost of one of these 1/200 HMS Nelson models here is A$400.00 - I've just promised my partner, I won't buy any more kits, until I've completed my backlog, which should keep me going for the forseeable future, however I do have a 1/200 kit by Ichimo of IJN Yamato, so will have to be happy I've got that, instead.

Richard

• Like 1

Oh, Weak wllied person that I am, I lasted 30 minutes before my desire got the better of me and I went and bought a 1/200

HMS Nelson model kit for myself and now I'm feeling much better and I won't buy any more kits after this one.......Um.......so I just promised my partner, after this kit...a small fib perhaps (she is very adept at fibbing), when it arrives and she says - you know what (*****), at least I'll have an excuse of sorts - right!!!!

Richard (smile)

• Like 1

Oh, Weak wllied person that I am, I lasted 30 minutes before my desire got the better of me and I went and bought a 1/200

HMS Nelson model kit for myself and now I'm feeling much better and I won't buy any more kits after this one.......Um.......so I just promised my partner, after this kit...a small fib perhaps (she is very adept at fibbing), when it arrives and she says - you know what (*****), at least I'll have an excuse of sorts - right!!!!

Richard (smile)

I just blew my yearly model budget in one shot on a Tehnoart USS Indianapolis kit... I've found the porch to be quite comfortable accomodations these past few days.

Made it to 6 months on this build...I did a quick youtube video of my progress to date if you're interested:

I'm pretty much finished with hull modifications now and looking forward to getting it painted up... I'm definitely excited to see Nellie "in color"!

• Like 4

Hi Chango

just found this thread-great work, especially on reducing Trumpy's ridiculously over scaled plating effect...

Following along with interest now :popcorn:

• Like 1

Hi,

I've just bought HMS Nelson 1944 1/200 scale too - arrived yesterday.

I purchased my "main" Vallejo paints for this model - 6 bottles for A$27.67 post paid to Aussie from GB Models - e.Bay purchase - seemed like the cheapest "deal" for the paints as listed in the Painting & Marking guide, which came with my model.

1 x 985, 1 x 950, 1 x 899, 1 x 981, 1 x 992, 1 x 863 - the paint scheme suggested says "868" but that is Dark Seagreen - so "863" seemed to be the best bet, possibly a printing error.

I entered the list of paints I wanted in the "message" box to seller - before purchase.

I observe that the hull and main deck are made of thick GRP and that the main deck sits within the outside hull, on several cross section frames, with holes drilled in the bottom rear, of the hull for the prop shafts, which indicates to me that if the main deck is not glued into the hull, then HMS Nelson at 1/200, could be made into a radio controlled model (The deck and superstructure could lift off) with electric motors, without too much difficulty, because the whole of the internal hull is open and available for motors, motor cycle batteries, receiver, speed controllers for each prop (2 props in all) bearing in mind that this ship would not be particularly fast, to scale, on the water - but what an amazing model for display or possibly R/C.

It seems to me that the hull and superstructure is precoloured to a light battleship grey (and no paint scheme is provided for that colour), so minimum painting would be necessary, however, according to "the Painting and Marking guide" which came with my model, the main decks are wood, as is the upper deck behind the funnel.

I would be inclined to leave the "birds eye" view colours, as they are, as they came with the kit, wood decks aside, because it looks like the "birds eye" view of the ship, from directly above, has shadow, to give the deck areas a "3D effect" and that is confusing - a ship, this size, would stand out like a sore thumb to an aircraft, so it would be pointless to try and camoflage the ship for attack, from above.

While I would like a preformed wood deck (which I could purchase) that deck would have to be for the main deck from Bow to Stern and the small Upper Deck behind the funnel, otherwise it looks like a paint job - Vallejo 981 Tan (Orange Brown).

Personally, I like hull plating and it seems to me that the hull plating is pretty accurate and I am sure Trumpeter would have got it right anyway, for A$400, as the kit is really very impressive, both in quality and representation, so I will leave my hull with the plating as it is, because the more detail a model has, the more effective it looks both as a static model or an R/C model, once painted (I have a swimming pool - so I could sail it there).

For "open" windows in the main structure, I would be inclined to use thin clear perspex, as found in hobby shops and I would paint portholes black, because they would look black from the outside of a ship - our eyes cannot see from light into dark.

John

Edited by js862077
  • Like 1