Canon lens

Avgas

I've got a Canon 1100D with kit lenses and I'm looking for a new lens that will give me better (sharper) results when photographing my models. I also plan to use it for general family pics, ie faces.

I'm not a pro at all, my skills include pointing, adjusting focus and clicking, so don't want to spend a fortune. My budget is £100.

Is there anything suitable for this price? I've seen the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II which comes in at well under my budget. The reviews seem favourable but nothing directly related to shooting scale models.

I'm after some advice please!

Thanks Chaddy, but being a layman, what does that mean exactly? Something to with the image in the viewfinder covering either a larger/smaller area than the image captured? What effect will it have on a picture I take?

Thanks Chaddy, but being a layman, what does that mean exactly? Something to with the image in the viewfinder covering either a larger/smaller area than the image captured? What effect will it have on a picture I take?

The 1100D along with other "enthusiasts/consumer" DSLRs has a smaller sensor that a full frame Canon e.g. Canon 5D3. The comparative size results in a crop factor of approx 1.6x a full frame camera.

Hence if you use a full frame (EF) lens on an APS-C camera you have to multiply the lens "size" by the crop factor. In the case above 50mm x 1.6 = 80mm. It's like having an 80mm (instead of a 50mm) lens fitted to you camera and the image will appear larger because the field of view is smaller. Birders normally use an APS-C camera because any given lens will give them more "reach". If you want to get more "reach" that's fine, but if you were interested in wide angle views it can be a bit of a drawback

Canon EF lenses are designed for full frame cameras, EF-S lenses are for use with APS-C Canons. EF lenses can be used with full frame Canons and APS-C Canons. EF-S lenses only with APS-C Canons.

Edited by chaddy

As a layman you can just ignore it. It means that to get the same field of view on a Canon 5d you would have to get an 80mm.

You basicly get "extra zoom". The 50mm on APS-C sensor in the 1100d is 1.6 times smaller than the sensor in the full frame sensor in the 5d.

That means that the 35mm on your camera has about the same "zoom level" as a 50mm on the much more expensive 5d. The 50mm on your camera equals 80mm on the 5d.

As for what lens you should choose the EF 50mm f/1.8 II gives you very good value for your money. It is very sharp and fast. If you want anything better new from the store you'd have to go a lot up in price.

Edit: Darn you and your ninjaing skills, chaddy. You beat me to it!

Edited by NorLars
  • Like 1

I take pictures of models using this set-up:

camera-set-up-3-L.jpg

I find that the 50mm lets me get the car filling the frame nicely:

_bugatti-1K-L.jpg

The depth of field with the 50mm compact macro lens (front and back of car or train in focus at the same time) is very impressive:

front-left--low-L.jpg

And this is what happens with the regular 18-55 set to about 40mm:

low-front-right-extreme-2-L.jpg

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 5

Lovely, thanks guys. Some really useful info there.

Sounds like I'm along the right track with that lens. I'll definitely have a look at it's successor Chaddy, it just sneeks under the budget.

• 1 year later...