80s Warsaw Pact 1/35 Armour

robw_uk

All,

as the 80s NATO v Warsaw Pact GB seems to be a goer next year I was wondering what 1/35 scale armour options there were for me to look at... dont mind if it is is a tank, APC, rocket launcher, MRLS... anything really - just something a little different (only build WWII armour so "everything" will be different but you never know...

some of the trumpeter MRLS are very nice but may be a little expensive, any other options?

thanks

as the 80s NATO v Warsaw Pact GB seems to be a goer next year... dont mind if it is is a tank, APC, rocket launcher, MRLS...

If using Europe only as location, you'll have lots to choose from! (Brands in parenthesis are what I chose when the subject interests me)

Warsaw Pact Ground Forces:

(Tamiya) T-55, (Trumpeter) T-62 of various models, (Trumpeter) BTR-60, (Trumpeter) BTR-70, (Trumpeter) BTR-80 Early, (Trumpeter) BMP-1 of various models, (Trumpeter) BMP-2, (Trumpeter) BRDM of various models, (Trumpeter) PT-76, and much more (mostly from Trumpeter)

NATO Ground Forces:

(DML) M48A3, (AFV Club) M60 series, (DML) Abrams of various models, Leopards, Chieftains, (AFV Club) Centurions, (Academy) M113 series, (Takom) Luchs, and much more.

I'm quite partial to the T-62, myself -- Trumpeter's new one is pretty nice, and seems to generally be less expensive than their T-72s and T-80s.

While nice, I didn't trust the vinyl tires so I had to replace them. At the time, I provided research material so I also gave feedback and newer tank kits went away from the vinyl tires. I also corrected the engine deck angle but that is up to the modeler.

Trumpeters range of Soviet equipment is vast. It seems to be well researched and of a high quality, certainly worth the money. I think Mike has done some cracking reviews on here.

Their research quality is based on who provided it which, fortunately, has been very good lately. I reviewed mostly armor kits for over a decade and provided feedback directly to the companies to (hopefully) improve. As such, I have lots of references for the kits I reviewed.

Regards,

• Like 1

While nice, I didn't trust the vinyl tires so I had to replace them. At the time, I provided research material so I also gave feedback and newer tank kits went away from the vinyl tires. I also corrected the engine deck angle but that is up to the modeler.

What needs to be done to the engine deck? And (more importantly, given my laziness) how hard is it?

Tamiya T-55 is well regarded... Buildable and accurate, as well as being an iconic symbol of the conflict.

Buildable, yes... accurate, not so much as the kit is a mix of various batches.

What needs to be done to the engine deck? And (more importantly, given my laziness) how hard is it?

It is a 2 degree change which, if you don't see it, you won't miss it! :D Add 0.76mm to the top plate. Lots of other things to tidy up.

If you REALLY must know, PM me as I don't like to turn people off kits due to my AMS.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

the problem (as I see it) with Trumpy tanks are the links - all have to be de-sprued... thats why i was tempted by wheels... really like the look of the Smerch MRLS but it looks very complex (and cost is a bit tight)... will continue to dig and look at the APCs

Really? Could you point me to some links... I hadn't seen any, but then again I have moved to 72nd as my scale a few years ago.

Really? Could you point me to some links... I hadn't seen any, but then again I have moved to 72nd as my scale a few years ago.

Send me a PM and I will gather some links for you.

Regards,

Look at their BRDM or BTR-60/70/80 series. Well researched, all wheels, good fit, a bit expensive but definitely worth it.

Regards,

some of the BTRs look nice - taken with the BTR60PU for the radio mast variations, or the BTR-80 with AT gun... and like the fact that Trumpy give "full" interior....

some of the BTRs look nice - taken with the BTR60PU for the radio mast variations, or the BTR-80 with AT gun... and like the fact that Trumpy give "full" interior....

The BTR-80A (with the cannon) is technically after the Cold War. The BTR-70, BTR-70 Afghanistan, BTR-80 Early, and any of the BTR-60s are a good choice. More affordable but just as nice are the BRDM-2 series of which all were in Cold War use.

Regards,

• Like 1

I could do that, but I'm sure there are others who are interested in seeing them too... so why not post it here?

If others are interested, then you can post them. On more than one occasion, I was bundled with 'nit pickers' who had nothing good to say about kits. As I stated, I can reply to your PM and you can make it public if others express interest.

Regards,

The BTR-80A (with the cannon) is technically after the Cold War. The BTR-70, BTR-70 Afghanistan, BTR-80 Early, and any of the BTR-60s are a good choice. More affordable but just as nice are the BRDM-2 series of which all were in Cold War use.

Regards,

the BTR-60 is looking most likely... will just have to see when the GB is

the BTR-60 is looking most likely... will just have to see when the GB is

Did you get it? If so, which one?

Trumpeter SCUD, SA-8, SS-23

Agreed except that the SS-23 is from Hobby Boss (Trumpeter R & D though). All three are expensive too yet worth it to me.

Regards,

If others are interested, then you can post them. On more than one occasion, I was bundled with 'nit pickers' who had nothing good to say about kits. As I stated, I can reply to your PM and you can make it public if others express interest.

Regards,

And how does not posting the links change any of this.....You are still making the criticism, surely with the links at least your comments would have some support. :mellow:

And how does not posting the links change any of this.....You are still making the criticism, surely with the links at least your comments would have some support. :mellow:

He asked for them, I offered them to him. That simple. I also stated, as seen below, that I don't want others to be turned off due to my AMS. Since I offered, and sent, information to the two people asking for it (one on the T-62 and the other on the T-55), they can post what I sent them or keep it to themselves.

It is a 2 degree change which, if you don't see it, you won't miss it! :D Add 0.76mm to the top plate. Lots of other things to tidy up.

If you REALLY must know, PM me as I don't like to turn people off kits due to my AMS.

Regards,

Hopefully, they've noticed that I didn't link to any of my product reviews related to the subjects although they would not be hard to find.

Regards,

So rather than putting the information in the public domain, where we can view it or not at our leisure, we have to pester you with PMs.....Doesn't that rather miss the point of a forum? :shrug:

It also suggests that you have a fairly low opinion of the membership.....Flaming a member for providing detailed information about a model/subject is rather frowned upon here abouts, it does happen occasionaly, but it's swiftly and sternly dealt with in my experience. :fight:

I'm not trying to pick a row, just suggesting that you might find that your subject knowledege is more widely appreciated than you might expect (and that BM members are generally very nice folk). :coolio:

All the best

Andy S.

Andy, when you start your Cold War GB build and ask for assistance, I will if I have any to offer.

This is open to anyone who would want more detailed information for their build. I only ask to see the information put to use.

As for the links that I sent via PM to the two who requested the information, they were easy to find in a web search. My only advantage (over those I sent them to) is that I knew of the existence and location of the information.

When Procopius and Neu start their builds, they can share what was PMed to them as it is readily available via web searches. I will then offer them what I may have (for example, I took many photos and measurements plus kept manuals of Russian vehicles from my time at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds FMIB motor pool).

Regards,

• Like 1