General Dynamics F-111 STGB Chat

trickyrich

When: 1st April 2017 to 2nd July 2017

Host: trickyrich

Ok there seems to be a wee bit of interest shown in this on the F-16 STGB where I mentioned it, so here it is.

It's an aircraft thats quite forgotten but actually had quite a long life, over 40 years active service, even thought it's gestation was a bit pain full and during this time she acquired a a bit of a bad reputation.

She wasn't the sales success that was hoped for it with the RAAF being the only other operator. The RAF nearly had them but as usual politics kill this along with a lot of other projects, home grown and otherwise.

So operator choices will be a wee bit slim!

Variants will we have the A's through to the F's, the FB-111A/F-111G, the EF-111 Raven (also known as the "Electric Fox" and "Spark Vark"), plus some NASA F-111 TACT specials.

Plus there was the F-111B Naval Air Defence version and the F-111K for the RAF.

For this build the F-111B will be allowed as it was produced but it needs to be in it's test colour schemes.

The F-111K...well two were on the production line when they were cancelled (went on to be used as test aircraft), so it was nearly there, so I would be happy for it to be included ONLY I if it was done in it's promotional colour scheme...no WhatIf squadron colours. There are a few pictures around but other info is a little bit harder to find...a real challenge for some one (same with the F-111B).

Of cause as a Ex-Pig Fixer I have a real soft spot for this aircraft having working on them with 6 Sqn so for me a mid 80's version...maybe the recon version if I want a challenge.

Models, well there are quite a few around of varying vintages.

So here's a chance to salute a very unique aircraft with an interesting history.

Ok list time....

1, trickyrich - Host

2, Caerbannog

3, Knight_Flyer

4, mungo1974

5, Antoine

6, Jabba

7, Lex77

8, snapper_city

9, TrojanThunder

10, Ghostbase

11, Andrew

12, mirageiv

13, Rob G

14, Mark Turk

15, S5 modeller

16, -Neu-

17, Arniec

18, Bill Ficner

19, Ronan71

20, gingerbob

21, swat11

22, PhamtomBigStu

23, Pappy

24, exdraken

25, Navy Bird

26, Tim Moff

27, vvpelt68

28, Dermo245

29, vesthepes

30, Tony Tiger66

31, HansReggelsen

32, spaddad

33, Dazey

34, Cammer625

35, Giogio N

36, PaulR

37, helios16v

38, neil5208

39, Mountain goat

40, Robert

41, Balloo

42, Muzz

43, Hewy

• Like 2

I'll play, have a few Hasegawa kits in the stash and NEED to build at least one RAAF one. Would also like to do a SAC FB at some pint as well.

you added...I know I should have at least build one RAAF version by now!!! So will have to do a 1/48th version will all the extras thrown at it!

I completed a 1/48th Hobbyboss F-111A at the start of this year and with all the learning from that build under my belt I have been thinking about the HB EF-111A or an Academy FB-111A or F-111C in the same scale. So count me in :thumbsup2:

Michael

Great idea Rich. Add me to the list too please.

Small issue however - pressures of work and family life being what they are, I'm afraid won't be able to start straight away. In fact, I may have to wait until well after dinner tonight...

:winkgrin:

cheers,

Andrew.

Small issue however - pressures of work and family life being what they are, I'm afraid won't be able to start straight away. In fact, I may have to wait until well after dinner tonight...

cheers,

Andrew.

it'll better be a long dinner then! Think mid 2017 will be the earliest for this GB!

cheers,

Andrew.

..and Andrew I expect to see it finished by dinner tomorrow :D

• Like 1

I would be in, but what are the timescales for this? Maybe long enough for Revell to release a new 1/72 F-111F... :wub:

I'd say there will be a bit of a wait, so who knows who'll produce what by then!

• Like 1

..and Andrew I expect to see it finished by dinner tomorrow :D

Ray, I'm eternally grateful for your optimistic assessment of my abilities...

Given my fondness for the subject, I'm quietly confident that I could have a build completed within the usual STGB timeframe of 6 months. Wait, what... ?

I've never built a Pig, as they never interested me. Never even owned a kit, nor seen one in the metal. I do know a guy who was a framie though.

Put me down for this one, Rich, I'll see what happens twixt now and whenever...

I've never built a Pig, as they never interested me. Never even owned a kit, nor seen one in the metal. I do know a guy who was a framie though.

Put me down for this one, Rich, I'll see what happens twixt now and whenever...

arrr you don't know what you've been missing....real heavy metal!