1/72 Airfix BAE Hawk T.1A Royal Navy

Greetings folks,

Last of what I can term my shelf of doom builds. Sadly this one is somewhat worse for wear for its time on the shelf of doom, owing to the fact that is departed said shelf on at least one occasion, doing damage to many of the sticky out bits. :weep: That being because this has stood on the shelf of doom awaiting merely a canopy for several years. A canopy I say, however, at the fifth attempt, you read that right on the fifth canopy I considered it passable to consider complete. I won't say any more about my masking skills. :banghead: And not looking forward to my explaining my request for three canopies to Airfix (received one replacement so far).

What with Fritag's stunning Hawk build I honestly wasn't going to post this, but I think I've fixed one thing that Fritag will miss, Royal Navy markings! :winkgrin: That and I'm feeling sympathetic to the Navy folks on here who I have observed seemed to get picked on somewhat. :)

Airfix kit, I think Model Alliance decals, Pavla resin seats and a Master pitot probe, other out of the box. Painted with Xtracolour enamel black, only way I can get a glossy finish. On with the photos.

Darren

38528774161_4e68ef337e_k.jpg

37641715245_2c086f8f34_k.jpg

38528774151_76ee481dc7_k.jpg

26753375489_b18087d7f5_k.jpg

24656613498_2d04649acf_k.jpg

Edited by Darren Rhodes
Updated photo links
  • Like 46

Hello,Darren - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Hawk'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work in the clean 'classical' way.She may have been a bit of a handful at times but the result is a resplendent tribute to this charismatic aircraft.All the best,Paul.

If I get a finish as neat as that Darren I shall be a happy man indeed. That is a beautiful Hawk.

PS. Like the neat details like the seat belts, the finish of the undercarriage and the pitot probe too :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

Thank you all guys, you're far too kind, it's generous reaction like this that's motivating me to clear out my shelf of doom and getting me to think about tackling some new projects.

It's funny when one 'lives' with a shelf of doom model, it's normally because we focus on one or more negative aspect, which gets taken out of proportion. What makes this forum such a great place to share models, experience. Thank you Mods.

If I get a finish as neat as that Darren I shall be a happy man indeed. That is a beautiful Hawk.

PS. Like the neat details like the seat belts, the finish of the undercarriage and the pitot probe too :)

The belts are what I normally term 'the unrealistic moulded in type', shows what a little extra painting effort (that I normally don't bother with) can do! The pitot is cheat - but these Master metal pitot probes are damn realistic!

Darren

• Like 1