Rumpler C.IV Late 1:32 Wingnut Wings

Rumpler C.IV Late

1:32 Wingnut Wings

rumpler10.jpg

Two words why I like this hobby so much. 'Wingnut Wings'. I have really enjoyed this build, the kit is well up to Wingnuts high standard and goes together like a dream.

Rumpler7.jpg

The Rumpler C.IV is perhaps not such a well known machine, as I tend to think we modellers are more aware of First World War aircraft that were kitted by Airfix or Revell, and built when we were kids. The Rumpler C.IV was an early multi role aircraft, with similar characteristics to the WW2 Mosquito. It had high speed, long range, and a high ceiling, which enabled it to work untroubled by allied fighters. Equally capable at reconnaisence, artillery spotting, or as a bomber, it was popular with its crews. Entering service in 1917 some 2,000 were built and it remained in service right up until the end of the war.

I was attracted by the markings on this one. 'Good People dont shoot' was seen written on many German aircraft of the period as was the same phrase in German 'Gute Leute nicht schiessen!'. Quite what the meaning behind it was seems hard to understand as it can be read in a couple of ways. If anyone knows, please tell!

rumpler11.jpg

rumpler12.jpg

rumpler113.jpg

rumpler14.jpg

With the removable cowlings off;

rumpler15.jpg

rumpler16.jpg

rumpler17.jpg

rumpler18.jpg

A couple of pictures of the fuselage interior during construction;

rumpler19.jpg

rumpler20.jpg

The icing on the cake is that this (and several other Wingnut Wings German 2 seaters) come with a diorama accessory set.
A step ladder, boarding ladder, tail trestle, 2 oxygen bottles, 2 wheel chocks, 4 cameras, 2 boxes of photographic plates, homing pigeon box, first aid kit, flare pistols, and teddy bear!

rumpler21.jpg

Yes, a teddy bear! More than once seen in period photos as a mascot strapped to a wing. He is tiny.

rumpler22.jpg

A note for anyone building this particular scheme - the white fuselage band decal was too wide and would have meant the fuselage crosses being pushed back too far. I had to remove mine and put it back on the paper and trim about 5mm off while it was wet. Do yours dry, or at least make a photocopy and check.
Other than that, this was joy to build, and was one of the easier biplanes due to the inverted 'vee' centre/cabane strut arrangement which locked the top wing perfectly in line to place all the interplane struts. The engineering on these kits is just brilliant.

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 29

Fine work there.

I might now indulge in one for myself for the end of the year now!

Not only does the kit include a teddy bear, it's a Steiff bear with the stud in its ear. Class! My granddaughter is inseparable from her Charly bear.

Rumpler C.IV Late

1:32 Wingnut Wings

rumpler10.jpg

Two words why I like this hobby so much. 'Wingnut Wings'. I have really enjoyed this build, the kit is well up to Wingnuts high standard and goes together like a dream.

Rumpler7.jpg

The Rumpler C.IV is perhaps not such a well known machine, as I tend to think we modellers are more aware of First World War aircraft that were kitted by Airfix or Revell, and built when we were kids. The Rumpler C.IV was an early multi role aircraft, with similar characteristics to the WW2 Mosquito. It had high speed, long range, and a high ceiling, which enabled it to work untroubled by allied fighters. Equally capable at reconnaisence, artillery spotting, or as a bomber, it was popular with its crews. Entering service in 1917 some 2,000 were built and it remained in service right up until the end of the war.

I was attracted by the markings on this one. 'Good People dont shoot' was seen written on many German aircraft of the period as was the same phrase in German 'Gute Leute nicht schiessen!'. Quite what the meaning behind it was seems hard to understand as it can be read in a couple of ways. If anyone knows, please tell!

rumpler11.jpg

rumpler12.jpg

rumpler113.jpg

rumpler14.jpg

With the removable cowlings off;

rumpler15.jpg

rumpler16.jpg

rumpler17.jpg

rumpler18.jpg

A couple of pictures of the fuselage interior during construction;

rumpler19.jpg

rumpler20.jpg

The icing on the cake is that this (and several other Wingnut Wings German 2 seaters) come with a diorama accessory set.

A step ladder, boarding ladder, tail trestle, 2 oxygen bottles, 2 wheel chocks, 4 cameras, 2 boxes of photographic plates, homing pigeon box, first aid kit, flare pistols, and teddy bear!

rumpler21.jpg

Yes, a teddy bear! More than once seen in period photos as a mascot strapped to a wing. He is tiny.

rumpler22.jpg

A note for anyone building this particular scheme - the white fuselage band decal was too wide and would have meant the fuselage crosses being pushed back too far. I had to remove mine and put it back on the paper and trim about 5mm off while it was wet. Do yours dry, or at least make a photocopy and check.

Other than that, this was joy to build, and was one of the easier biplanes due to the inverted 'vee' centre/cabane strut arrangement which locked the top wing perfectly in line to place all the interplane struts. The engineering on these kits is just brilliant.

Thanks for looking,

John

Oh, how I wish I had the time, space and money to produce something as stunning as this- in any period if aviation.

Wingnut Wings as far as kits go the pinicle of 1/32 models of WWI types- this one demonstrates why in bucketloads, well done John!

I can only assume that the ledgend in English has something to do with an early attempt at arial propergander which appeals to the chivalry of both airborne and ground foe alike.

If I had the the time etc, I'd love to build one of WNW's Fe2's as they where flown from RFC East Retford- about 6 miles NE if where I live. Sadly the airfield site is now home to a more somber institution- Ranby Prison!!!!

Thank you for sharing.

Regards Adrian

• 3 weeks later...
Superb job!!

I really liked your first affirmation and agree with it: Two words why I like this hobby so much. 'Wingnut Wings'.

The engineering on these kits is just brilliant and all parts have a perfect fittings.

I have a few questions:

What were the paints used?

Wood effects? Washed with oil?

Congratulations on this beautiful work!

Cheers!

Superb job!!
I really liked your first affirmation and agree with it: Two words why I like this hobby so much. 'Wingnut Wings'.
The engineering on these kits is just brilliant and all parts have a perfect fittings.
I have a few questions:
What were the paints used?
Wood effects? Washed with oil?
Congratulations on this beautiful work!
Cheers!

Zarichta,

The camouflage paints were Tamiya acrylics airbrushed on. The Dark Green was Tamiya ..er.. XF-81 Dark Green, the others XF-23 Light Blue, XF-5 Light Green, X-16 Purple were mixed from Tamiya colours to either lighten or darken them.

The wood effect is done with a base coat of Tamiya 'Deck tan' overlaid with Griffin Alkyd oil paints (Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, and a dash of red).

A few oils stains and grim was added to the ladders etc from very thin black and brown oils.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I got a 1/72 version l had been working on but it's got no wing struts. I need to know the length to maybe finish it. I kinda have messed up inner struts as well but that's fixable