Your all clear kid - 1:72 trench run

Well I'm started back into this hobby as an 1:35 armour modeller with a bit of 1:144 ww2 aviation. But since I built my space 1999 eagle I've got rather attached to scifi models. Disney didn't help by saying bandai couldn't be sold into Europe, so I stockpiled all the 1:72 kits and 1:12 figures. So what do you do when you have Darth's Tie fighter and an ordinary Tie fighter, yes you buy another Tie fighter and start plotting a trench dio.

Well I guess this pic is really an RFI,

2015-11-29%2009.52.22_zpsu8yyllbz.jpg

So it's now on to the next item, a Revell millenium falcon (orginal 3 legged version). Scale model medics youtube vids have given me some ideas how to improve this basic level kit. Last vid in the series is here https://youtu.be/MQX3nLKVFS4

I've managed to get hold of a number of different death star surface tiles, so some of those will need replicating some how(or its going to be a very short trench!).

• Like 6

Ok revell I wasn't expecting a lot from this level falcon kit, but your taking the P155 with the main landing gear doors.

Two the same even though they should be handed, that's just poor. Time to dig out the styrene sheet and strip.

2015-11-29%2019.25.51_zpsdymfawbk.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moving from Bandai to Revell was never going to be pleasant!!

A trench run dio is on my to do list at some point though without the Falcon due to room! I think there will ne a lot of modellers creating moulds from the Bandai bases for Death Star tiles!

Yeah, well that was a given MadMonk.

It's ok, not great, but for £40 it'll do.

As for the trench it'll have to be be descrete scenes/portions with gaps or it'll be huge.

• Haha 1

Well here's another installment, the major bits are assembled. Waiting on some upgrade parts from Shapeways to arrive; a more detailed dish and support, engine grill and a decent pair of quad lazers.

The 2 hull pieces aren't clipped together as I'm going to be repainting it after I replicate that cack landing gear door.

So here's the Revell scum with a Bandai tie fighter for comparison.

20151202_182353_zps6obfkbid.jpg

Edited by andygif290368
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well not much progess of late, xmas has come and gone, January is just about over.

And all i've done on this is fettle the 3d printed cannons and hull parts to fit.

Been a bit preoccupied looking for a new job after 18 years with same company, it's just not the same place anymore and it's more than time to move on.

Edited by andygif290368
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Well the falcon finally made it off the shelf of doom. I made a replacement landing gear door. If anyone else has built this kit gear up will know revell duplicated the large gear doors rather than do a left and right version. It's not a brilliant scratch built replacement but it looks better than the wrong door when it is sat in the gear bay.

2016-05-23%2018.22.30_zpsuos8fufe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Well, it's not progressed much, the falcon got primed and had some aftermarket resin parts fettled and dry fitted.

As for the trench itself, I've sourced some tiles, so 6"x6" resin tiles and some 4"x4" plaster tiles from eBay about to years ago, not to mention all the regular tiles from all the other kits I've assembled since this original post.

I don't think that vacforming would get the level of detail necessary I'd like, but if do go down the tile replication route it would probably be silicon and plaster. 

I've rather entered the modeller malaise,  lots of stuff started only to be shelved until another bright shiny thing comes along.   There's what's left of my model railway stored in the garage, the kit stash, the ham radio gear and all the electronics odds and sods.

Another decade or two and then I can retire and have time to do it all.......    yeah I don't believe me either.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...