Russian aircraft at Latakia II

Radleigh

It is certainly much more attractive than the Typhoon and untill recently the under dog in the export race.

Nigel

Yes, but do you remember the French flying the Rafale at Farnborough - when they were rubbing Eurofighters nose in it with the number of flights achieved so far :- http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/1/0/0/1364001.jpg

They changed the number every day - just to emphasize how far ahead they were with testing.....

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/2/5/4/0209452.jpg

The Eurofighter was underdog then.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a MiG-23 with air to air load:

1030376502.jpg​

note open speed brakes.

Jari

That's a superbly casual rural set up of the rest of the kit there. I like the old tyres used to isolate the aircraft, the old corrugated iron on whatever that wee shack is, the other shack with a tarpaulin. Really ad-hoc - would make a wonderful diorama.

I've flown at gliding clubs set up like that - and in Slovakia, several air bases have that same simple, casual but still effective look. Quite unlike the very formal military set up we are used to!

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)

Some fascinating details to be had from those photos...........

With the nosewheel turned on the Su-34 - it must be awkward to step from the bar fixed to the anti-FOD guard onto the ladder fixed to the nosewheel leg.

I'd never appreciated that before.

Interesting that the aircrew avoid being identified by always having their visors down - not so the poor ground crew - who can be subject to reprisals.

.... and they don't get the latest 'desert' uniforms.

Some fascinating markings - painted out stars on the undersides of some airframes, freshly-painted tricolour stars on the Su-24's - and different bort numbers on the fuselage and fins.

Ken