General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon STGB chat

trickyrich

I was looking at putting together the original Hasegawa 1/32nd General Dynamics F-16A (S20) in the red/white/blue colours worn by the two prototypes, would look really good in such a large scale. Trouble is that the new Airfix Victor B.2 landed on the mat a few days ago and I am not sure I can cope with two large builds! Guess I can make my mind up on 7th January :)

Michael

• Like 1

On 25/12/2016 at 5:47 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

seems to be several makers doing 1/72 resin CFT's for the falcon, any recommendations which to go for?

no answer, should I just go for the attack sqn one as its a pound cheaper? 

also does my falcon WIP qualify as less than 25% 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

no answer, should I just go for the attack sqn one as its a pound cheaper? 

I will be using some resin exhausts from Attack Squadron. They are of very good quality, so I would think the CFTs would be as well.

ok folks the countdown has officially begun, the rules and other useless/useful will be up before your hangovers! :sick:

Get ready to start the year with a very big bang as I reckon this will be the biggest STGB of the year!

Besides the Polish Tiger meet aircraft I'll be building a Whiffy as well in a seperate build in the WhitIf section as well as on a couple of other sites as well. 

Guess this year resolution is either "Go Hard or Go Home!!!!"!!!

Happy New Year from down under  :cheers:  and best wishes to all for a prosperous modelling year! 

Well, I did have planned a Tamiya 1/72  f16cj in the have glass scheme from the caracal next generation viper sheet. 

Only drama is that after a month of waiting and no response, model hobbies finally refunded my money that they took for said sheet. Guess they never sent it?

Anyways does anyone have that sheet and not going to be using the have glass opt? I will pay handsomely for them (and a photocopy of placement guide please) and the postage obviously. 

Please help :( 

Tony. 

Just had a look at the rules.  They say I can combine two identical builds in the same thread.  That works for me as I will be building two F-16Cs from the Revell kit.  Can I also add a Revell F-16B into the same thread?  It's the same kit but for a different forward fuselage and canopy.

On 31.12.2016 at 5:00 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Well, I did have planned a Tamiya 1/72  f16cj in the have glass scheme from the caracal next generation viper sheet. 

Only drama is that after a month of waiting and no response, model hobbies finally refunded my money that they took for said sheet. Guess they never sent it?

Anyways does anyone have that sheet and not going to be using the have glass opt? I will pay handsomely for them (and a photocopy of placement guide please) and the postage obviously. 

Please help :( 

Tony. 

I suppose Caracal can send it in time - it is not sold out yet: http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd72019.html

• Like 1

see there is quite a lot of talk about Have Glass F-16's I thought this build might interest some, especially the way they mixed their main colour! A 50/50 mix of Tamiya acrylic and Alclad then mixed with 50% Lacquer thinners, lightly sprayed over a coat of Alclad Stainless steel! I didn't know you could mix these at all, but the results look amazing! 

1/48 Tamiya F-16C BL52 Have Glass V Scheme

I'll post this in the reference section as well, if only for the paint mixing instructions.

2 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Hope I'm not too late - please count me in for this build please

Kris

you still have plenty of time as it doesn't start till the 7th, but can start a build thread right away

Ehrrr... I am not sure about this rule: "#5 - All builds must have a WIP thread showing progress, models cannot go into the gallery unless there is a build thread for them. If you are building two or more identical models, you may combine them into the same thread."

Does "identical" refer to the plastic in the box or to the type of subject?

I planned to start the year with a threeyouknowwhatImean: Revell F-16 1:72 scale kits - two F-16 Block50/52 boxes and a Tigermeet box, which contains the same plastic. I will use aftermarket decals on any of these (arctic scheme F-16C, old school Marine NSAWC splinter F-16N and a differnet Tigermeet F-16C - all Block 30). Can I combine them in one thread??? The main difference will be the diffeernt liveries. I think it should be OK but like to make sure.

René

6 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Ehrrr... I am not sure about this rule: "#5 - All builds must have a WIP thread showing progress, models cannot go into the gallery unless there is a build thread for them. If you are building two or more identical models, you may combine them into the same thread."

Does "identical" refer to the plastic in the box or to the type of subject?

I planned to start the year with a threeyouknowwhatImean: Revell F-16 1:72 scale kits - two F-16 Block50/52 boxes and a Tigermeet box, which contains the same plastic. I will use aftermarket decals on any of these (arctic scheme F-16C, old school Marine NSAWC splinter F-16N and a differnet Tigermeet F-16C - all Block 30). Can I combine them in one thread??? The main difference will be the diffeernt liveries. I think it should be OK but like to make sure.

René

Looking forward to all of these! :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trickyrich said:

see there is quite a lot of talk about Have Glass F-16's

Been messing around with some 'have glass' paint. This morning. Will post pics later. 

EDIT

Pics now at start of my build thread - hataka have glass grey. Looks 'brownest' over a silver base...

Edited by Tony Oliver

6 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Sorry  -  me again - I decided to just push the "Submit Topic" button now - if it is not OK to throw the three builds into one topic I will split it. Just let me know.

René

arrr Rene there's always one! :D

Probably me in this case as I just copied a set of rules I had for a previous STGB! 

You're fine having 2 or 3 builds in the one thread or you can have three seperate threads, it's whatever is easiest to manage. As long as there is some sort of detail of the build it's fine. 

So to answer your question, it's all good, go for it! 

• Like 2

I'm growing more and more to like the various shades of grey (no numbers please) an F-16 can be painted. So the Dutch demo and Belgian tigermeet bird stickers could be spared for later... But it's surprising how difficult it seems to find a set of decals for a war going, non-special scheme aircraft. Luckily Vingtor and Stoppel have such for Norway and Denmark. Oh well, maybe I just stick to my original plan... V-P

• Like 2

Had very nice surprise today, left my bag behind at football training before Christmas, coach returned it tonight, had assumed there was small only change in my change bag, but instead found there was quite a bit plus a tenner tucked in my wallet, so I think illl go and pick up a Revell from my LHS to enter straight away :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Filler said:

Hi all. In the context of a 1:48 scale Hasegawa F-16 kit, could anyone give me an idea of what point the build reaches the 25% mark?

It's basically as long as you haven't really gone past the basic start of the build, you can have the cockpit built, even as far as having it in the fuselage but really not much more. But the having the fuselage  together and wings on is probably a bit too much! Just post a photo of what you've done, that's the easiest way to tell.