Starfighter vs Lightning ("finished but ongoing")

RMP2

The comments on my Phantom RFI reminded me that Id not posted these two up.

Theyre supposed to be an airborne pair, head to head and banking away, but close, very close. Turns out the shelf wont be big enough for that and its all an ongoing saga.

Quite where the 104s arrestor hook has gone I dont know, I saw it last night, but given the state of the bench it could be anywhere, that amongst other things means I suppose that theyre not really RFI (104 needs a finalsatin coat too) and as for the Lightnings pitot tube...... but... its as far as theyre going for a bit until the base gets sorted - had some help with these so thought youd like to see something from it.

WIP is here - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947076-raf-jet-fest-part-1-lightning-vs-starfighter/

Anyway, here they are (very almost nearly) finished and poorly photographed. Ill make sure things look better once the whole thing is eventually done.

P1020438%20Medium.jpg

P1020440%20Medium.jpg

P1020441%20Medium.jpg

P1020443%20Medium.jpg

P1020442%20Medium.jpg

I even had a play at a was here, knowing the doors would be closed, it made sense... not sure it worked though.

P1020444%20Medium.jpg

Had a play with the Starfighter:

P1020433%20Medium.jpg

P1020432%20Medium.jpg

c3339199-e1b8-4b34-b0c9-ba1c7a2164f8.jpg

P1020439%20Medium.jpg

P1020446%20Medium.jpg

P1020445%20Medium.jpg

P1020447%20Medium.jpg

P1020448%20Medium.jpg

P1020450%20Medium.jpg

As I say, poor photos. Just felt they needed to be posted.

Man flu. Better will follow.

• Like 5

Looking good, two very similar answers to the question of 1960's air defence.

The interesting part of it would have been how many Starfighter operators would have had Lightnings if the Lockheed scandal had not happened...

Given the Lightnings performance in its day, it is a bit odd to me that more countries didnt take it on - assuming it was on offer to all and sundry. eg Would have suited Switzerland rather well Id have thought.

The Lockheed issues came to light a bit late in the day didnt they for it to have had any real effect? Contracts signed, deliveries already delivered etc?

Looking back - apols, the pics are terrible and I guess youre sick of seeing the bloody things, Im certainly getting bored of them.

I like those rather a lot. Nice schemes both, I especially like the Lightning in 11 sqn markings, what mine is destined for. It also shows up well just how big a Lightning was, compared to the slender Starfighter. Nice modelling.

Steve.

It also shows up well just how big a Lightning was, compared to the slender Starfighter. Nice modelling.

Steve.

It was something I noticed too, I always felt the Lightning was more of a smaller, more nimble thing, but no, it was/is a fair old lump - compare it to a Phantom and a Starfighter:

P1010517%20Large.jpg

• Like 2

Me too, it came as quite a revelation a while ago when I saw the then new tool Airfix Lightning up against a (I think ) Fujimi Phantom & was amazed at how the Lightning was virtually Phantom sized. Always interesting to see them displayed like this.

Steve.

Hello,RMP 2 - My compliments to you on two fine looking builds of your 'Starfighter' and 'Lightning'.I hope your soon back to full 'Fettling Fitness'.That rather interesting Phantom will provide some phine therapy.All the best,Paul.

Cheers, Gary. The 104 turned out a fair bit cleaner than Id like, but its a learning curve being only the third Ive churned out after a 20 year break. Ill get the hang of it if I hang in there. Maybe. :)