Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

Prefer the bigger stuff that look like something out of Thunderbirds!

Bigger stuff? Nose to tail this measures 460mm, or 18"... That's not big enough? :hmmm:

Incidentally, Martin from Coastal Craft came through with the paints

Aha! So it was you who bought the last of their Interior turquoise was it? Killed my building of my MiG-21, forcing me to fight with that Jaguar while youre having an easy life with a snap together doddle of a build AND all whilst Im struck with man flu. I wont forget this.

Looking good, dont drop it on the floor now will you.... ;)

:lol: Sorry... Martin forgot to mention that part ;)

Also sorry I've not been more visible on the thread - there's a lot of modelling going on, just nothing worth showing for now. I've glued the intake trunking together without any more work, as once it's together and the end blacked out, all you can see is a vague inkling of the detail that is there. No filling, not washes, as they're just not worth doing because so little can be seen :) I'm currently painting the cockpit, having got the turquoise on I'm now blocking in the instrument areas using Panzer Grey and some very nice reference pics from the 'net. I've also blocked in the seats with Panzer Grey, and am seriously considering giving the squabs the brown leather treatment to make them stand out a bit, as black leather can look a bit samey on a black seat. The inside of the canopies have been painted a cocktail of Lifecolor green to represent the padding in the metal sections, and once that's dry I'll paint the strips of turquoise that hold the padding in place. There's also a tan-coloured sealant round the sills, so I'll paint in that too at some point.

I'll take a few pics when I've got something a little more "together" :)

• Like 1

Placed my order for the Foxhound yesterday with Luckymodel. Love the engineering of the parts and your comments on fitting of parts has been a large deciding factor for me to buy this. I wish AMK all the success with this.

• Like 1

A quick peek at the painting so far, just so you don't think I'm making all this up :)

The wheel bays have had a protective coat of clear varnish, which has reduced the shine just a tad, and after a wash they'll receive a matt varnish coat that should finish the job.

intake3.jpg

The cockpit has been covered in turquoise :coolio: with some lightening of the shade to accentuate various areas, and counteract some of the darkness. I've started blocking in the instrument panels, and will use a combination of paint and generic decals from my stock of Airscale Early Soviet Jets to finish off the dials. What I can't find to match my references, I should be able to cobble together from something :)

cockpit3.jpg

• Like 10

This looks really good Mike everything seems to have good detail and you are doing it

justice ! I'm still waiting for someone in the UK to get this in stock I want one !!!!

Guy

Nice work bringing all that lovely detail to life Mike. Every update tempts me even more to add this one into the stash but I'm trying to hold out for the MiG-25.

Mike, for interest are you feeding any this back to AMK? That detail about reversing the parts G11 and G12 would be something that would be really useful for them to be able to put in the instructions

Thanks for sharing this all with us, I really am looking forward to the rest of this!

Les

Done for the next batch.

• Like 4

Having had the chance to see this WIP up close and personal last night, I can only heap more praise on the manufacturers for producing such a stunning kit

I'm amazed at how well it has been laid out and the thought given to the build process.

Chris.

• Like 2

Another bit of progress, with the seats painted but with a few touch-ups left to do & the balance of the detail painting, plus a test of the colour wash I'll be using in the bays. I'm already convinced that one's a bit weak, so will go for a darker one such as Ultimate's Dark Dirt :)

Oh, and if you know the layout of the Mig-31BM's instrument panels, you'd better not look too closely at my facsimile :blush: It would have been better if I'd have had some of the larger dials in smaller sizes. Maybe Peter at Airscale could do a more modern Soviet/Russian jet instrument set?

cockpit4.jpg

• Like 15

I always use Panzer Grey as my black, usually Lifecolor (UA207), and this time I dry brushed with Neutral Grey (UA046). Sometimes I then put a black wash over that to tone it down, but not this time (yet) :)

Actually, looking back at the instrument panels, I think I might need to do some slight re-touching of my over-zealous scrubbing! :blush:

• Thanks 1

No worries ^_^

Today's dabblings have been getting the landing gear bays ready for the trunking to be inserted in the fuselage, which included removing the wash from them (Ultimate Dark Dirt), adding a few parts that I'd missed off, and painting up some others. The grey struts have been left off for now, but I've been preparing the parts for priming, scraping mould-seams, deciding whether ejector-pin marks will be seen, etc. I think two may be seen, so I've glued some styrene rod in then and cut it back flush, with light sanding to follow.

I've also been pondering the exhaust, which I'm hoping to try & do in a realistic-looking burned and dirty fashion, the base for which I've been spraying today using some metallics, ranging from gun-metal, jet exhaust, pale burnt metal and all shades in-between. They're looking ok, but I wanted to make them look kind of dusty/sooty, but can't decide whether pigments or washes will do the job better. I've just finished assembling one exhaust trunk, and it is so bloody dark in there, you can hardly see the work I've done already! :lol: I think the most important aspect will be the outer casing that fits over the petals. I've got some plans for that, which will mean I need to leave it off until right at the end of the build for fear of damaging the finish :hmmm:

Here's a quick mock-up with nothing glued together, plus bonus cockpit detail painting progress pic :)

intake4.jpg

• Like 9