Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

Due in the UK tomorrow :frantic::yahoo: at last !!!

Mike your doing a good job that cockpit looks ace.

Guy

I would be interested to find out how many kits were going to Russian modelers. Looking at photo's of the actual aircraft, it seems it has a stressed skin look to areas of the fuselage below the wing. Lots of great weathering possibilities with this subject. Aircraft brought to airshows are sometimes cleaned up compared to everyday operational use. Airliners.net has a number of shots of this aircraft in their database.

I would be interested to find out how many kits were going to Russian modelers. Looking at photo's of the actual aircraft, it seems it has a stressed skin look to areas of the fuselage below the wing. Lots of great weathering possibilities with this subject. Aircraft brought to airshows are sometimes cleaned up compared to everyday operational use. Airliners.net has a number of shots of this aircraft in their database.

How do you mean? By far the greatest number of kits has come to the UK. In fact, I don’t know of any that have gone to Russia, I certainly haven’t sent any there.

Edited by Martin @ AMK Hobby

It is gorgeous - I've just been test-fitting the intakes and exhausts in the fuselage, as they're ostensibly ready to go in, and the fit is nigh on perfect. There's a chance I might get the fuselage closed up tomorrow, but I'm going to have to give it up tonight, as I'm dog tired. :sleep_1:

• Like 1

Mike, is it possible to build it with landing gear up? I imagine it is, but do you think if it would require too much rework of parts (like doors)? I prefer the planes in flight configuration, though in this case I feel guilty for losing all the incredible details of the landing gears and bays...

For realism, pilot figures would be needed, and I think this kit does not include them, right?

Edited by Romanov

I'd say it is, but there isn't a documented method for doing so. You'll just need to check fit as you go along, and adjust them as you see fit :)

After a quick Google, I'm thinking of using Gunze H338 Light Gray FS36495, as that's a colour used on Mig-29s, which are of the same vintage. The FS26293 mentioned in the instructions doesn't seem to show up in paint charts for some reason.

I've also seen Flat Light Gray FS25237 used on the Begemot decal sheet, which converts to RAF Barley Grey according to my online paint chart of choice, and that's H308 in Gunze, X1017 in Xtracrylix. Other paint codes are available ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Mark :)

I managed to get the square root of bugger-all done last night due to my lack of focus, but today I'm hoping to get the fuselage closed up and finish off the cockpit. Much assembly and scraping of seams on landing gear parts are in my immediate future, I think? That's if I can wake up at least :sleep_1:

PHWOAR!!!! That's a lully photo. It gives the grey a really blue cast, although I'm not 100% the colour is accurate :hmmm: It does show off the gold tinted screens well though. Klear and food colouring? a light spray of clear yellow/orange? Decisions, decisions. :hmmm:

I've just finished building up the nose gear leg, and have that setting up for some final seam scraping on the main leg, as well as the left main leg, which is doing the same. These parts are such brilliant fit that they almost fall together. All you have to do is scrape the seams and remove the sprue gate marks. The main legs have a central strut around which the outer casing fits, giving you the strength of a solid piece of styrene without the risk of sink marks. Extra bonus - detail! :)

PHWOAR!!!! That's a lully photo. It gives the grey a really blue cast, although I'm not 100% the colour is accurate :hmmm:

You right. On this photo have blue shade. In fact, the aircraft painted in this color....

Mig-31-5_zpseahfwotv.jpg

Edited by IGKent