Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

Hi Mike,

Its not clear from your photos if it is painted already and masked or it is just a future plan. Behind the second cockpit, on the back of the spine there should be two grey panels, a big one and a smaller one.

Just asking . . .

Best regards

Gabor

I see them now, no - I'd missed them, so I'll do a bit more spot masking after I've finished painting the exhaust cans, which is job #1 for the day :)

Well, it didn't go as planned (when does it?). I had a bit of a problem with paint lifting on the cans, so I went back to plastic and re-primed them, so I'm not too far down the line on that score. I have however masked a sprayed those two dielectric panels Gabor mentioned, and the nose wheel has been added and weathered. There's quite an accumulation of gak around the hub, so I used a little of the Tamiya Smoke mixture that was left over to simulate that :)

weathering5.jpg

You'll have to excuse the "nappy" of post-it notes and tape that is for the back end's metallic panel paintjob.

• Like 6

After my false start, I've completed the basic representation of the exhaust cans, and these can now be added to the airframe to complete the rear end. I'm planning on doing some further work on them later to get the typical grotty look, but at the moment I need to have a think about how best to achieve the effect I'm going for. I've managed to get some subtle variations in tone, but they're not really showing up in the pics due to the relatively dark colours, but here they are. They'll next be seen attached to the rear-end next time I get a moment :)

exhausts1.jpg

The paint was a mixture of various shades of Vallejo's new Metal Color range, which I'll be doing a full review of once I've played with it a bit more :)

• Like 2

The paint was a mixture of various shades of Vallejo's new Metal Color range, which I'll be doing a full review of once I've played with it a bit more :)

I've got quite a few of these new paints, I for one have been impressed so far, but then having just recently returned to the hobby I don't have sufficient experience of the established alternatives with which to base an informed opinion. I look forward to your review. :)

We've got the full set in here, and I'm quite impressed so far. They come in generously sized bottles, decant easily and spray without dilution with a small flake size. What's not to like? :) I tried the parts in place before I shut down for the night, and they look the part. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'm back! :bye: Last night the exhaust cans didn't sit flush on the rear, which was why I didn't post any pics (that and I was going for my tea), but today I've had a proper look at them and found out why. I wasn't pushing them home properly. With a bit of pressure there was a CLICK, and the parts just fell into position, and stayed there without need of any glue. And here they are:

exhausts2.jpg

What next? :hmmm:

• Like 9

Me too ^_^ I'll be dusting the airframe with some clear matt shortly, although the sharp-eyed may have noticed that the nose has already had a little coverage, and the fading on the radome is starting to show :)

• Like 1

What the next? Armed him, master!!)))

You are the real artist! (I am absolutely seriosly!)

Your wip thred i will use as the toutorial when i will start the mine one (if you do not, of course!). But the mine will be the "Boris Safonov"/

I have got one question regarding the kit: should I have additionally two metal weights inside the box?

I received my kit not so long ago, and realized I do not have such things there.

Too bad, but maybe it is just a mistake during packaging.

Nevertheless - the model is just superb Mike, as usually.

Please let us know how you exactly painted exhaustes. I have always serious problems to paint such parts correctly and choice proper metalizers.

I have got one question regarding the kit: should I have additionally two metal weights inside the box?

I received my kit not so long ago, and realized I do not have such things there.

Too bad, but maybe it is just a mistake during packaging.

Nevertheless - the model is just superb Mike, as usually.

Please let us know how you exactly painted exhaustes. I have always serious problems to paint such parts correctly and choice proper metalizers.

The weights are packed together with sprues G and H and can hide behind the parts. Check your kit again, maybe you missed them.
I'm looking at page 8 of the instructions and I'm a bit confused about the color callout for the intakes. It instructions suggest that the intake walls should be painted silver, but the intake roof/shutter(?) should be grey. I'm not sure about those silver intake walls. how far should the natural metal area extend?

Heh! Couldn't see the wood for the trees, eh? :nerd: I still added some weight to the front of mine, as it gives it a nice nose-heavy feel. Some metal circles held in place by a layer of Milliput in the radome part and you're good to go.

The matt varnish is on! :frantic:

weathering6.jpg

It looks good, and I've also fixed a small scratch in the paint while I was about it. The radome has had a few extra layers of varnish, as it helped to accentuate the fading effect a little :wicked: Oil streaking here & there now, I think :)

• Like 7

Still think those main undercarriage legs look a bit stick like, I have to say AMK really dropped the ball with those :evil_laugh:

All joking aside, I think AMK have set the standard very high here, if their maintain this level with the planned Tomcat and other releases, there will be a lot of very happy modellers.

Great build too Mike.

I've now done the first layer of streaking, and looking at a couple of them, they need toning down a bit with some more thinners, but I'm happy with most of 'em. I've also added a punched disc of white decal film to the circular depression just in front of the nose, which Gabor (where would I be without him?) informs me should be white :)

I've also been through the instructions marking all the little parts that need adding around the airframe now that the majority of the heavy handling has been done. There's about 10-15 parts in total, all of which are still on the sprues, and will need painting before I use them.

weathering7.jpg

• Like 9