Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

SUPER job on this WIP Great stuff.....makes me want to start mine.....and THAT'S saying something!

I abhor a WIP where a pic of the kit box is shown and the next pic is the finished model.

Happy days ^_^ You won't be disappointed ;) I've not even seen my build for three days now, so it's nice to do so. Might not get much chance to do much though, as we've got guests coming, but I'll try :)

• Like 1

Mine is finally ready for paint. The only issue I've had is with the main gear. It bowed after I left it setting overnight. This baby is NOT lightweight!

Was it the glue join or the actual leg that bent? If it is the join, looks like I'll have to plan how to use cyano or epoxy. If it's the leg, I have no idea what to do

Les

• Like 1

Sorry I've been a bit absent this last few days folks, but I've had a little bit of real-life stuff going on, although I have today started the rather tedious process of hiding the decal carrier film with coats of clear gloss and some gentle sanding with a fine stick. It takes a while to get the film hidden, but it's worth the effort :)

Enjoy whatever you're doing for New Years, and I'll see you all next year :partytime:

• Like 4

Mine arrived yesterday from Hong Kong. Superb kit Martin! How about the RAF Phantoms at some point? And a Buccaneer too?

Mike, Happy New Year mate, all the very best and all I now have to do is try and get close to what you've done with the MiG-31, it's stunning and will look great on the BM table at Telford 2016! ;)

• Like 3

I have today started the rather tedious process of hiding the decal carrier film with coats of clear gloss and some gentle sanding with a fine stick. It takes a while to get the film hidden, but it's worth the effort :)

Mike,

Can you expand on this process? How does the "gentle sanding" hide the carrier film? Are you sanding to remove the film or only to rough the surface and change the reflectivity of the surface?

Hope your holiday is a good one. :cheers:

Mark

Was it the glue join or the actual leg that bent? If it is the join, looks like I'll have to plan how to use cyano or epoxy. If it's the leg, I have no idea what to do

Les

The glue joint next to the bogie. I did end up using CA as well.

Edited by Habu12

Shouldnt do. What are you using as cement?

Do you need spares?

Shouldn't but did. I used tamiya super thin, then Zap-A-Gap. Left a bit of a mess, but the wheels will hide it. Too late for spares I'm afraid.

Mike,

Can you expand on this process? How does the "gentle sanding" hide the carrier film? Are you sanding to remove the film or only to rough the surface and change the reflectivity of the surface?

Hope your holiday is a good one. :cheers:

Mark

Thanks Mark, and the same to you :)

All I do after the decals are set up full is give the model some extra coats of clear gloss paying more attention to the decaled areas, and once those are set up nice and firmly, I take a fine sanding stick and lightly sand back the "hump" over the decal. You'll know when you're getting there by the fact that the shiny patch around the decal's carrier film eventually disappears. It's a very delicate operation, but if you're careful, and don't go at it too excitedly, you can eventually get them to appear flush with the surface. Even slight differences between the decal and the skin can disappear under a coat of matt varnish, so you don't have to make it perfectly flat.

I put a test coat of gloss over the upper decals last night, so once my fingers have loosed off & the pain killers kicked in I'll have a shufti and see whether any more sanding is needed. If not, I'll be getting on with the weathering :)

The glue joint next to the bogie. I did end up using CA as well.

Best policy with the gear legs is to build up the strut and bogie off the airframe and leave them off until all the major work is done. I built and painted mine a couple of weeks ago now, and they're still sat there on the desk waiting to be installed. I had to install the nose gear because of the construction process, but I'd definitely caution against installing the mains too soon, and while they're setting up, don't put any weight on them. They hold the correct angle without any assistance, so rest your model on its back while they're setting up :)

Happy new year to everyone!

Mike, superb build it looks so nice. Mate, I just got one of this for Christmas but no instruction manual at all. I hope not to disturb you. Could you be so kind to share yours with me please?

I want to see the final work!

Best

• Like 1

Ok - I was finally happy enough with the levelling of the decals, so here's a photo of her as she stands now, although I have to admit to having started the panel line wash already :blush: A little of Ultimate's Dark Dirt ™ wash has been applied along the panel lines and over riveted areas to be removed later with a piece of damp kitchen cloth, leaving any residual smearing heading back in the line of flight.

decals5.jpg

Here's a closer pic showing the decals nice & level with the surface. Those ones on the top of the intake trunking were very visible before I started glossing and sanding, so I'm quite pleased with how they turned out :)

decals6.jpg

More later :)

• Like 12

The majority of the panel line wash is done now, which has just evened up the already visible lines, and added a little general grime to the airframe. I'll go over it again when I've had a break, as you sometimes miss patches the first time around. I've not yet removed the wash from the inner tails and the wing fences, so don't worry about those ;)

weathering1.jpg

The sharp-eyed amongst you might notice that I've added black protective strips to the leading edges of the fins (where the dielectric material is), as well as greying out the sensors on the sides of the intakes as well as the blade antennae on the fins. They'll also get a little bit of reddish goo on the leading edge, which Gabor kindly pointed out along the way :)

• Like 9