Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

Must admit Les, you're quite right. This has to be a new standard of model engineering, it's genuinely hard to fault the model in any way, (OK possibly the omission of seat belts and instrument decals but that'll be addressed by Eduard shortly), the fit, detail and thought that's gone into the assembly process is second to none.....and yes once started it's very hard to put down ! Really looking forward to the big Foxbat now....

The future Eduard detailing sets have now been announced on Hannants 'Future releases' page.

EDFE752 interior set

ED49752 full set

EDEX489 self adhesive Mask set

As well as the previously mentioned Two Mikes resin wheels (among other things). Apparently the first batch has already sold out, more on the way....

I was checking Eduard's page and found no reference to these sets. Is it already known what the interior set will include? I am mostly interested in instruments and LCD displays. Airscale has a decal sheet with generic instruments in 1/48 for Soviet jets and I was planning to acquire this, but if Eduard will create specific decals for the MiG-31BM instruments for me would be better.

Edited by Romanov

Mike, when I went to assemble the seats, I found the headrest parts had an ejector pin mark on the rear that spilled over the edge of the part, so I had to end up putting a tiny bit of styrene in there to cover the gap that would have otherwise shown at the top of the seat. Did yours have that too? You didn't mention it, so I I'm wondering if it was just my kit. **EDIT*** just looked back at the pictures in the thread, and yes, the tiny little gap is there on the top of the headrest, so it looks like a detail that is on all the kits**

I also noted that I had to dress away a tiny bit of the strengthening ribs on the side of the intakes so that they would seat fully down into the mating areas.

Both were easy enough to deal with, if that's the only type of problems we have to overcome on this kit then other manufacturers will have a mountain to climb to beat it. I'm still in awe over the fit of the parts, they click into place so positively I'm having to double check to make sure I actually applied glue. I'm a long way off mating the front of the fuselage to the main assembly, but did it fit as well as the rest of it?

I suppose my only 'worry' with the rest of the kit is the instrument panels and cockpit sides. These old hands shake so I will struggle to match what you managed to achieve with your painting to get such neat demarcations of the instruments and panels.

Edited by lesthegringo
  • Like 1

It looks great Mike! I ordered one from Luckymodel a couple of days ago, but they haven't shipped it yet.

This is probably the best refueling video I've ever seen:

Strewth!! Old mate Yuri near on sucked that hose down the port intake at about 5.59!!!

• Like 1

Let, perhaps my ejector pin marks were more shallow? I had a couple that I saw during my build, but once the glue was on, they just melted away... Literally! :lol: My intakes needed a little fettling to get the fit just right, but I figured some of that would be down to my inexpert clamping of the various assemblies along the way. The nose just fits. :) you have to jiggle it a bit to get all the parts to slide past each other, but when the do, it slides right in & the seams just disappear ^_^ It is a grand kit. I'm so looking forward to the Foxbat now :yahoo:

A heads up for any of you that use the IKEA glass display cases to show off your models - this bird will NOT fit. It is massive, either the tips of the tailplanes or the pitot will be hitting the glass. I'm going to have to find another way to display this one when it is finished!

Cheers

Les

• Like 2

A heads up for any of you that use the IKEA glass display cases to show off your models - this bird will NOT fit. It is massive, either the tips of the tailplanes or the pitot will be hitting the glass. I'm going to have to find another way to display this one when it is finished!

Cheers

Les

Fish tank?

• Like 2

Mike, am I right in thinking that those two ejector pin marks are hidden by the pylon?

To Martin and all the guys at AMK, I would like to thank you for introducing me to an utterly new experience - actually enjoying putting together intake trunking. Never ever before has that been anything other than one of those horrible, tedious, thankless tasks that you always have to force yourself to do because without it you can't get the model finished, or in most cases even close up the fuselage. Today, I was happily cutting, painting and gluing watching it all fall together and marvelling at the fit and engineering. I had put the kit on the side, telling myself to finish all those others, but I got sucked in and before I knew it all the bags were opened, stuff was painted and there were complete engines and intakes sitting happily on my desk.

The kit is sensational, beating even the likes of the Eduard MiG-21 kits, which were for me the gold standard by which everything else was judged. I can't wait for your F-14 and MiG-25 kits, if they are going to be anywhere near this standard.

The King is dead, long live the King!

Cheers

Les

Thank you Les. Accolades indeed, much obliged :)

I will certainly make sure the team know of all these kind comments. Thank you again.

Just a quick point, we sent very early shots to Eduard to make sure they had the kit in plenty of time to make sure they were able to get some hands on with the MiG-31 to bring out their PE sets.

I am pretty sure they will include full instrument panels, seatbelts etc etc.

Sadly, I am not sure whether they are doing the zigzggy things on the windscreen lol.

Again, humbled by all the nice comments.

• Like 2

Let, perhaps my ejector pin marks were more shallow? I had a couple that I saw during my build, but once the glue was on, they just melted away... Literally! :lol: My intakes needed a little fettling to get the fit just right, but I figured some of that would be down to my inexpert clamping of the various assemblies along the way. The nose just fits. :) you have to jiggle it a bit to get all the parts to slide past each other, but when the do, it slides right in & the seams just disappear ^_^ It is a grand kit. I'm so looking forward to the Foxbat now :yahoo:

I see what you mean about the nose - I dry fitted it to judge whether or not my display solution was viable or not (see above) but I have to say that once again, once in position the match up with the mating parts is exemplary. I had to lightly dress away the corners of the front fuselage section at the bottom where the forked bit of the main fuselage part meets, but it was literally a second or two with a file.

A test fit of the intake trunking also made me more wary of the fit - it is so good that (as I did) if you don't look properly at all the bits you can force them into the wrong place and pull the pieces apart. No damage done, and a lesson learned to look before I push into place.

Little details keep popping up to impress me, like where the drop in section on the fuselage spine has cut outs on the little positioning feature so that the sprue gates on the mating part don't interfere. Cool!

Les

Cheers Kev - you could always break away from the floaty things for a wee while, hitch up your kilt and get your wings on? :wicked:

Kinetic Intruder already underway but in a major headwind and I wouldn't mind getting the old digits on their Sea Harrier!

Cannot hitch up the kilt coz everyone will see that I'm wearing the wifes frillies!

I couldn't 'elp it, yer honner, I was too weak to resist..... I just saw 'im sittin' there on the shelf all lonely like, and I had to take 'im 'ome.......

My son asked me to drive him to a shop that sells games, and on the way back we came across a model shop, the twin of the one where I got my original kit. There in the window was another AMK MiG-31, winking seductively at me. My son, who is no fool when he thinks there is something in it for him, suggested we go inside for a look around. I was looking at the kit, and the shop keeper wanders over and says how good a kit it is and it's the last one and he doesn't know when they'll get any more...... Well, you can guess the rest, can't you. My only problem is going to be explaining away to my wife why after making such a fuss about how it wouldn't fit in the display cabinet, two days after buying it I come home with another.

Tell me you guys all understand....?

Les

• Like 5

I couldn't 'elp it, yer honner, I was too weak to resist..... I just saw 'im sittin' there on the shelf all lonely like, and I had to take 'im 'ome.......

Tell me you guys all understand....?

Les

We understand Les. You are in good company. It's all Mike's fault really; tell your wife that.

Cheers Kev - you could always break away from the floaty things for a wee while, hitch up your kilt and get your wings on? :wicked:

Ok, I find myself returning to your build over and over again, so where do I get one? I had a look at lucky model but their site search came up empty?!

My shoulders may be broad, but they're a bit hunched under the weight of all the people blaming me for stuff ;)

Kev - Hannants are the UK Distributors, and I believe they'll be getting them in next week IIRC? There's also a new batch being run off, so you could always pop in a pre-order with someone online? I foresee at least one more run in the near future, the way this kit has blown-up in the modelling world. ^_^

• Like 2

The toning of the main colour is going slowly this avo, but at least I've started now. Here's another "candid" in the paint booth, again using my potato-phone's camera :)

paintbooth3.jpg

That was a little earlier with just one wing started, and I'm now on the underside. More news later :)

• Like 12

Kev - Hannants are the UK Distributors, and I believe they'll be getting them in next week IIRC? There's also a new batch being run off, so you could always pop in a pre-order with someone online? I foresee at least one more run in the near future, the way this kit has blown-up in the modelling world. ^_^

Mike,

Unfortunately I was told last week that Hannants delivery is likely to be the first week in January!

A shame, as I was hoping to pick one up as an early Christmas present to myself!!!

Greg

I've done a little bit more in between a Christmas Lights disaster (the bulbs were going out one by one), and managed to turn her over onto the underside to do some more scribbling. Phone camera again, sorry! :photo:

paintbooth4.jpg

• Like 7