Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

I'm at about the same stage but with a few other builds to get finished first it's had to wait in line. Didn't find any build issues though as you say a little care needs to be taken with aligning the intakes. I elected to have the 8TK IRSK fairing closed as it wasn't often seen lowered, but will have the IFR probe deployed. It really is a marvel of engineering. Need to start on the undercarriage next, hope it's up to the task, I'm pretty sure it will be but may well go with brass rod to be sure.........it's a rather heavy model !

The landing gear is very clever, and should be up to the job. :thumbsup: There are two pins holding the bogie and strut together in the end, and the main leg has another styrene rod down the centre for added strength, which has a long peg & a cup to add even more strength to the attachment point in the bay. I'd already faired in the glazing on the IRSK, so wanted to use it, and decided to leave the refuelling probe down so I couldn't knock it off later :lol: I wondered for a moment why the fairing around it was clear until I spotted the little window in the front. I think it's a light to aid them in lining up in the dark? :shrug:

I've been squirting AKAN 73059 Grey (faded) all over the top of my kit this avo, and once that's dry I'll flip her over and paint her from... underneath. Then I'll start mucking about with the colour toning & prepare for the muck... especially underneath, which I'm really looking forward to :wicked: I think the various fluids used in the engines were especially susceptible to gravity, as it seems to get everywhere, then get blown back in the airflow. Cue fun with temporary masks and streaking grime ^_^

• Like 1

Primer's on, and I'm just looking at colours. I'm going to use some AKAN paints for this, and it's exposed a bit of a hole in my stock, so I've been on the blower with Martin @ Coastal Crafts, and he's going to give me a buzz when he knows which ones he's got in stock.

Hi Mike, new here. I'm planning on ordering this today, and having never built a modern Russian jet, I was wondering what AKAN paint colors did you use so I know what to buy?

FANTASTIC BUILD!

Thanks so much,

James Sontag

Hi James and :welcome: to the forum :) I've mentioned them throughout the thread, but as we're on page 13 and I have them in front of me, it'd be churlish of me to tell you to go & look ;)

73005 Emerald Green for the interior

73059 Grey (faded) for the exterior

73010 Radio Transparent Grey (faded) for the radome and dielectric panels

73101 White (faded) for lightening of tones

I've just a few minutes put away my take on the wheel green, but I can remember it was a Lifecolor paint, as Martin @ Coastal Craft didn't have that one in stock when I ordered, sadly :( I'm thinning them with Ultimate Thinners, which will thin just about any acrylic paint yet devised... somehow. It's magic, I tell ye! :blink:

• Like 1

James, I also used those AKAN paints, though for the cockpit interior I mixed the Emerald Green 73005 (or preferably faded version 73006) with their faded Pale Blue 73016 as personally I think it's too green for the later Foxhounds which seems to have a more blue hue. Other than that it's lightening and patching of the overall faded Grey 73059.

I wondered for a moment why the fairing around it was clear until I spotted the little window in the front. I think it's a light to aid them in lining up in the dark? :shrug:

I wondered the same thing and apparently that's exactly what it's for.

Actually, I took a pic of her in the paint booth a little while ago with my phone as I couldn't be bothered taking the SLR off the tripod, so please excuse the rather potato quality photo, and the overspray disaster that is 7 years of painting with only a few clean ups, none of them recently. I had to take most of the bottles & things out of the booth to get the thing in there, and it still won't let me go all the way round without snapping the nose off <_<

paintbooth2.jpg

That's a 600mm cooker hood in the bottom of the photo :)

• Like 6

I wondered for a moment why the fairing around it was clear until I spotted the little window in the front. I think it's a light to aid them in lining up in the dark? :shrug:

Have a look at this, Mike.

and http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/d/8495-3/image0023.jpg

Good to see some paint on the Foxhound!

Edited by KoenL
  • Like 4

Would love to see this finished by Tuesday morning, I'm off to Malta to get married so won't have any internet for best part of two weeks, I can't wait that long :weep: Looking rather good by the way :)

Congratulations! (or condolences...)))))) Wish to you (both of you, of course!) an ocean of happy and platoon of the children!
Mike, sorry for the off top!

The Archers had two tiny ejector-pin marks each, so they had some lengths of rod inserted and the cut flush.

weapons1.jpg

Mike, am I right in thinking that those two ejector pin marks are hidden by the pylon?

To Martin and all the guys at AMK, I would like to thank you for introducing me to an utterly new experience - actually enjoying putting together intake trunking. Never ever before has that been anything other than one of those horrible, tedious, thankless tasks that you always have to force yourself to do because without it you can't get the model finished, or in most cases even close up the fuselage. Today, I was happily cutting, painting and gluing watching it all fall together and marvelling at the fit and engineering. I had put the kit on the side, telling myself to finish all those others, but I got sucked in and before I knew it all the bags were opened, stuff was painted and there were complete engines and intakes sitting happily on my desk.

The kit is sensational, beating even the likes of the Eduard MiG-21 kits, which were for me the gold standard by which everything else was judged. I can't wait for your F-14 and MiG-25 kits, if they are going to be anywhere near this standard.

The King is dead, long live the King!

Cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegringo
  • Like 2

Must admit Les, you're quite right. This has to be a new standard of model engineering, it's genuinely hard to fault the model in any way, (OK possibly the omission of seat belts and instrument decals but that'll be addressed by Eduard shortly), the fit, detail and thought that's gone into the assembly process is second to none.....and yes once started it's very hard to put down ! Really looking forward to the big Foxbat now....

The future Eduard detailing sets have now been announced on Hannants 'Future releases' page.

EDFE752 interior set

ED49752 full set

EDEX489 self adhesive Mask set

As well as the previously mentioned Two Mikes resin wheels (among other things). Apparently the first batch has already sold out, more on the way....

Edited by general melchett

Mike, am I right in thinking that those two ejector pin marks are hidden by the pylon?

Yes, but at the time I hadn't looked at the shape of the rails, and I had the rod out anyway ^_^

More painting today :)

Thanks chap - if it does, you'll have it finished by the new year ;) I'm hoping to have mine finished by Christmas, as otherwise my Year Book entry for 2015 will only have 3 Star Wars figures, and a re-worked (lit) Finemolds Millennium Falcon in it :(

Mike great job till now! I have a question, approximately how many mls of paintbdoes it need to cover? I want to make an order on akan paints, and want tonknow if 2x10 ml lacquers are enough!

I was thinking the same thing. I was going to ask this very question.

James

Well i'm using acrylics, and so far I've got around half a pot left, plus a fair amount of the 2nd cup full left :) Whether lacquers cover any different, I don't know :shrug: