Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

Looks fantastic, I keep saying it but I wish I had one NOW.

Lovely paint work too...! ^_^

Get your wallet out and you could :lol:

Know what you mean though. Looks a cracking kit.

• Like 1

The whells bays as i can recal it should be green/

No sorry, they are not.

http://www.walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/mig/mig-31_2/MiG-31_04.jpg

Here is shot of one which looks like overall silver but what appears to be possibly a replacement panel in a Russian very of zinc chromate.

Probably primer yellow but the colour has distorted with age or posting. Usually silver lacquer in colour. :)

Shots taken late or early in daylight hours are mostly likely to have a colour cast. So much depends on software used during image processing. Airliners.net have some of the highest standards for photo screening before being accepted for their data base. Some times a colour cast can be detected in parts of the image that should be a purer white.

Bang on.

I took pictures of a Hornet from the exact spot over the course of a day. Three different grays.

Wheels now replete with their tyre-slip indicator marks and a coat of Klear to toughen up the paint. Hubs were done in Lifecolor UA522 Interior Green, while the tyres were Vallejo Dark Rubber with some highlights on the contact patch in light rubber.

Nice wheels!

These marks, I would have done differently. Using decal stripes....

This is an interesting photo album about MiG-31 modernization and rehaul:

http://www.photos-albums.com/the-process-of-modernizing-the-mig31-fighter-jets-album133534/

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rule by sharing this link

Gotta love this classic line: "The most delicate and painstaking work usually goes to women - they have more subtle and sensitive fingers." Straight out of a soviet propaganda film that one.

Enjoying your build Mike, I've got one of these hopefully winging it's way to me so your thread is just building the excitement in this household (well one member of this household at least).

Jon

Looking really good Mike wheels have some nice detail .

Guy

There are lots of pics of them in a silver lacqu6316493.jpger fi

I mean this one. (in Monchegorsk they were green indeed :shrug: ) I was surprised waching a such number of the silver bays!))) Anyway, this one gonna be the best Foxhound model i have ever seen! Keep it going please colleauge!

Edited by Snitok1983

I've got the fuselage together! ^_^ The exhausts were glued in earlier, and once that had cured enough, the precautionary clamps were removed, and the upper fuselage panel and wings tried for fit. No adjustments needed, so on went the glue. She's currently setting up with some tape round her after the clamps all fell off, which is one of the reasons I don't get on well with Berna clamps. Too little force required to make them ping off, and I'd much prefer it if they used square section rods to avoid that effect. Did I just invent a new clamp? :lol:

fuselage3.jpg

Anyway - the rest of my session has been devoted to finishing off the cockpit, and installing the seatbelts on the kit seats. These just happened to be lying around the workshop, and I figured I could spare them from the Mig-29 sets, so on they went. It's all currently being matt varnished, with a view to adding back some gloss for the instruments and MFD panels, which I've painted with a few shades of very dark green, fading to a lighter shade at the top. My Foxhound will have just shut-down and the pilots scarpered :)

• Like 5

:lol: nah... the W&N 000 takes all the credit :) I had a bit of a panic earlier, as I couldn't find my control columns. Found 'em amongst the debris eventually though, but I was verging on panicking :frantic:

The only thing I found a bit awkward to fit on mine was the GSh-6-23M canon fairing which for some reason it isn't quite shaped to the fuselage and there's a long tongue used to locate it. Easy answer was to mark its position then remove the tongue therefore making it a little easier to bend and use CA to fix into place, other than that it's a breeze.....AMK offer the choice of having the elevators either neutral or in the 'elevator down' position (ie leading edge down) but this was only ever seen with the aircraft either landing or taking off. Neutral was the norm for parked aircraft though it could also be seen with them in a slightly 'elevator up' position when the system was powered down....

• Like 1

No aftermarket required :)

Great job Mike, really pleased with this one!

Had a look at this at Mike's again last night and was again suitably impressed by the engineering and subsequent fit of it all. The only thing I would like to have seen included was some seat-belts. Perhaps these could be included in future production runs?

Chris

The only thing I found a bit awkward to fit on mine was the GSh-6-23M canon fairing which for some reason it isn't quite shaped to the fuselage and there's a long tongue used to locate it. Easy answer was to mark its position then remove the tongue therefore making it a little easier to bend and use CA to fix into place, other than that it's a breeze.....AMK offer the choice of having the elevators either neutral or in the 'elevator down' position (ie leading edge down) but this was only ever seen with the aircraft either landing or taking off. Neutral was the norm for parked aircraft though it could also be seen with them in a slightly 'elevator up' position when the system was powered down....

Weird - I didn't find any trouble fitting mine, once I'd got the tab actually IN the slot (my fault!). I'm a bit disappointed in the elevator fit in the down position, as there's a bit too much "slop". It also exposes the rod and the socket a little. I have seen pics of one parked with them offset though, so never say never :) Mine will be in the neutral position, but all the slaps & flats will be deployed just for a bit of fun :)

No aftermarket required :)

'cept for seat belts & instrument decals :tease:

• Like 1

Looking really nice Mike the pit is awesome and those seats do look good with the seatbelts , still waiting for them at Hnnants ! :banghead:

Guy

Weird - I didn't find any trouble fitting mine, once I'd got the tab actually IN the slot (my fault!). I'm a bit disappointed in the elevator fit in the down position, as there's a bit too much "slop". It also exposes the rod and the socket a little. I have seen pics of one parked with them offset though, so never say never :) Mine will be in the neutral position, but all the slaps & flats will be deployed just for a bit of fun :)

'cept for seat belts & instrument decals :tease:

Yes, I concede defeat :)

• Like 1