MiG-17F, North Vietnamese Air Force

Hi All,

Just managed to catch a bit of brightish weather and took some photo`s of my latest completion

h1jpWzE.jpg

My attempt at Hobby Bosses 1/48 MiG-17F

Lfofc3g.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft of: 921st Fighter Regiment, NVAF, Sao Do around 1968

z46pXcn.jpg

Built pretty much from what`s in the box, minus the engine to try and make it sit on the nose wheel a bit easier

JUZArWA.jpg

Still took a fair bit of weight though ( might have to reinforce the shelf )

Icmkyft.jpg

Decals are from `L Decals Studio` sheet LDS 48007, `MiGs over North Vietnam part 2`

omSAZ03.jpg

Had to try this scheme when I saw it though I was tempted by a stripey camo`d option on the sheet.

Hope you enjoy

Thanks for looking, Cheers Russ

• Like 57

Hi Russ!

Good looking model as always. Seems you continue now with "the other side" in your Vietnam era builds. These little MiGs are real tailsitters. I remember Hasegawa had a very unorthodox approach, adding a metal intake ring to their 1/72 kit.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi Russ,

Sorry to turn this into a zombie post, but the image of your fantastic MiG-17 came up while I was trawling the web for images...

I've got a 1/72 kit (AZ Models) but am unsure of the markings (and am scared of the mottling!). Anyway, can I ask whether the scheme you chose called for the undersides of the wings to be sky or unpainted? 

Many thanks,

David  

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 1:40 AM, Dazey said:

Hi Russ,

Sorry to turn this into a zombie post, but the image of your fantastic MiG-17 came up while I was trawling the web for images...

I've got a 1/72 kit (AZ Models) but am unsure of the markings (and am scared of the mottling!). Anyway, can I ask whether the scheme you chose called for the undersides of the wings to be sky or unpainted? 

Many thanks,

David  

Hi David, the underside of the wings according to the decal instructions is black same as the fuselage, I did find one photo of the subject on Google at the time but it didn`t show the underside.

Hope this helps

Cheers Russ

On 10/30/2018 at 2:14 PM, 28ZComeback said:

Russ thanks again for posting. One question:  How did you get the dead flat aluminum finish on the drop tanks?? They look so “Vietnam” after months of corrosion. 

Hi DJ, they`re just Humbrol silver 11 over light grey undercoat and then Matt Varnished. The very ends I did with Humbrol 191 chrome I think.

Cheers Russ