Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

Its finally stopped throwing it down in miserable Hertfordshire which means I may get a coat of Halfords finest on the seat rails this after.

Here is the gun predicament

M240-2_zpshtt8mw4j.jpg

M240-1_zpsik85ricr.jpg

I picked these up about three years ago when I started to collect the bits for the kit. They are absolutely stunning, but wrong.. As pointed out they are M240s......the Chinook has M60s fitted. Boeing only support the weapon fitted, and as its a Septic heli,its a Septic gun. I know there were conversations about Boeing testing a GPMG as I researched it quite extensively about 2 years ago. There was a commitment to do it, but as far as I am aware, its still not being done. I did have a laugh about it being a Health and Safety issue :lol:

So I need M60s. I had a look at these

m60-1_zpsjpofs1w5.jpg

M60-3_zps6fy1kur3.jpg

M60-2_zpszajc1vvu.jpg

but am waiting for some snaps from a ad that serves on them of the fitted gun mounts and guns before I make a decision

• Like 2

This is mad ! but impressive all the same love Chinooks looking forward to this progressing .

Guy

IMG_8476_zpswt8gbtoc.jpg

erm. project has just grown....

Big debate about those guns as well on another forum. Waiting for answer from the Armourers at JHSS which I assume is the support service at JHC. The other one I've got to bottom is the filters. This Wokka Wokka is on Herrick in the early days and I suspect the sand filers came in later ron in the deployment. If not, I have to make some of them.

Balti curry calls!!

last post for the night. here is one of the windows with the hanging straps down

IMG_2497_zpsqxpbvvaw.jpg

and here are my seats now

IMG_8479_zpstapyznr4.jpg

and my gaff? The hangers on the rail should be attached to the cloth straps that are tucked behind the seats. Having spent hours sticking the things on,a dozen or so of them have to come off!

• Like 1

Quick ten minutes this morning as I've been abandoned for topless netball again. I never see the girl. What a relationship eh!! Fantastic!! Bit chilly here with a heavy frost so plenty places to hand the coats and bags when they get there :winkgrin:

Anyway. Bit of Halfords primer applied this morning

IMG_8484_zpstbfvwubk.jpg

IMG_8483_zpsvhpgdo33.jpg

IMG_8489_zpsh8yjvttj.jpg

I'm planning to stick the seats to the rails with super gluey stuff but cant decide if that was a big mistake or not as I'm now thinking about how these things go in. The debate I'm havign is should I have soldered the back of the chair to the rail at the bottom of the seat to give them more stability/less chance of coming apart than I will get with supa glue. Its obviously a bit late for that debate as I've sprayed these, so what I may do is supa glue this side and solder the other. the reason for that decision is I will fully assemble one side first (the sides where these seats go in) and leave the other row of seats standing up and mounted in the floor of the heli. That make sense? Not sure if it will work or not. I should have soldered them. Engage brain next time...

• Like 2

Here's a shot of the bulkhead and the comms shelves. Cobra do the a shelf unit in resin but the mold isn't great so I went with the one in the kit. I've attempted to cut the comms kit out of the Cobra one, but to be honest, its pants as well. I need to have a look at what's on the shelves and have a think. There have been a lot of upgrade sin the last few years as the world has gone digital. The Cobra kit was analogue, and it the stuff shipped with the model, apart from being pants!!

IMG_8495_zpswladalzl.jpg

I've left the kit sound proof lining on the bulkhead. You wont see it I dont think,but it't too uniform. You can see the panels I made fitted

IMG_8494_zpstbsju4zf.jpg

I've also gone with the kit and Edwood etch for the panel at the top of the bulkhead rather than the Cobra mold.

Thanks Phil mate.Just posting another.

IMG_8496_zpse3ltnvdy.jpg

You can see why I went with the Edwood etch now. Detail is stunning + its got a digital screen on it. Cobra is all analogue. I've not got the seats in yet, so the little lads wobble about still! I need to sort out the harnesses for the pilot and navigator and probably stick a map on the navigators lap. I still need to sort the wiring from the pedals as there is currently no way for them to fly it - I know its a plastic model.....:-)

It was a good call picking up the Cobra stuff as I'm using bits from two of three sources at the minute. There is shed loads to do before this is assembled

Erm this is a bit loud, so be warned.

IMG_8518_zpshsz4khd6.jpg

job lotted them

IMG_8509_zpsylqyxqif.jpg

IMG_8507_zpsxoegdd6i.jpg

Volkswagon Mars Red (low emission) bets could match I could find.

I spent last night on the guns

Red%202%20Minigun-GAU-17A_zpslqnjliey.jp

size0-army.mil-2008-02-28-041706_zpsh3xb

further investment required and a bit cross about that. Here is a good shot of the filters on the engines I need to bang out. Not got my head around how to do that yet

RAF_Chinook_Helicopters_Take_Off_on_a_Mi

Anyway. Another small step forwards

• Like 1

Looking good, that's one dusty Cab in the photo !

Guy

Looking good, that's one dusty Cab in the photo !

Guy

Certainly is, and something to aim for. Thanks for the compliment also.

Pressed on a bit while the mrs was knocking out a Sunday roast and having a 'see if the colour work' go

IMG_8254b%20-%20Copy_zpssuarb4vy.jpg

the red seems to look OK - that was a bit of a worry

IMG_8523_zpsvqxy1st1.jpg

IMG_8254a_zpsbwdg59ic.jpg

I'll assemble them after the paint has had 24 hrs, which probably means Tuesday now as I'm off up to sunny Morpeth tomoz

• Like 3

gluey bit. I'm using epoxy from Plastic Padding. This stull sets like steel in 10 minutes and its load bearing. Its used for car repairs so it should hold .10 steel to a bit of brass rod I hope

IMG_8530_zpskd4cibw2.jpg

Edited by simmerit

So the downside of posting as you go is you get to post the 'learning points' when you cock up.

IMG_8538_zpschbdlumr.jpg

Thank god the paint isn't flaking off. Bent it over a brass rod.

IMG_8540_zpsi8ju7d7u.jpg

IMG_8541_zpshphumhqr.jpg

Spot on. Oh and all the brackets fell off. Laughing me head off at the minute as all that time and its actually quite funny. At least anyone having a crack at one of these will see the gaffs as opposed to the perfect post clearly demonstrating my vast skills as a modeller...... meanwhile back on planet reality, we all make mistakes :banghead:

• Like 2

It's always a learning curve at least your laughing about it !! but it does look good and the red looks good to me.

Look forward to seeing this complete with dust and all !

Guy

Edited by F4u

It's always a learning curve at least your laughing about it !! but it does look good and the red looks good to me.

Look forward to seeing this complete with dust and all !

Guy

I'm only laughing cause I'm not in tears mate. I'm a bit worried about those support legs at the minute. I think I may have the joint at the base of the leg a bit too low. I should have probably spent more time trial fitting them but I wanted to crack on. Moral of story? Take your time as patience pays dividends in the long run. I'll be back on it tomorrow and confirm my suspicions.....