Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

Love them thar seats, functionally funned but very realistic

I will be around gleaning from this but I cant help you with the interior any, all I remember was a small sticker at the step into the cockpit |SAS DRAIN|

Made us laugh :)

Not as much as the driver having to run around various camps and airfields 'til he found out where we were supposed to go

The loadie said it was always like that in Bavaria in summer with so many schemes going on

Edited by perdu

A very impressive and enjoyable build. We can see the effort put into your model and with lovely results! I would love to build this but never will, so thanks for posting this!

Cheers lads. Jockster mate - have a crack. Its an amazing model mate - its mahoosive and there is so much potential because of what it is.

Anyway. Seats.

IMG_8608_zpshuonw2t3.jpg

So that's 'technique' No1. Its done the job, but you can see how much fun I had getting there. Its not straightforward, but I deffo made it harder. I reckon if I'd assembled them out of the box (so to speak) without trying anything clever it would have been pretty straightforward.

So here goes with technique No2 with some of the learning points applied. I stripped the hangers off the brass rod. Super gluey stuff is a waste of time as they need some strength in them and super glue stuff just falls straight off.

IMG_8609_zpsfcrghe3z.jpg

So I've put the hangers on the straps and popped them on masking tape and I have used epoxy resin to secure them

IMG_8610_zpstxlbgjbo.jpg

so its a dab on the back of the hanger then pop the rod on and secure it with masking tape then load the back of the hanger with glue.

Lets see how that goes.

Have a look at that video as well. Klear? For floors is what the bloke says. Interesting technique and I was well surprised

• Like 4

A bit daunting them beggars

Persoomably the big down pipe is for dumping filtered sandystuff out, that's going to be cause of some major muckydusting

I've got the product description for the thing, so will have a look! I suspect you are right from the looks of it

Hi Si,

Thanks for posting the link about the polishing of canopies it was interesting to see another method . those belts are coming along.

I wouldn't mind one of these myself and do it as Bravo November but I don't know of anyone who does the decals in 1/35th.

Look forward to seeing the engines.

Guy

Edited by F4u

Hi Si,

Thanks for posting the link about the polishing of canopies it was interesting to see another method . those belts are coming along.

I wouldn't mind one of these myself and do it as Bravo November but I don't know of anyone who does the decals in 1/35th.

Look forward to seeing the engines.

Guy

Hello mate,

yup its interesting isn't it? I may give it a go and see what I think. decals are easy enough - I'll just have to do a bit of home printing.

BN is as good as anything I guess. I need some snaps in Afghan I reckon - not decided what I'm going to do yet. I've got some little lads which I could pop in the back. Need to have a good think..

I also need to look at the mods for the British Chinook and make some decisions soon enough and I need to decide Herrick or pre-Herrick. I must be about on the cusp as the air crew are in mixed combats - desert and temperate DPM, so I'm guessing about 2004 which is pre Herrick obviously. Then there is the question about the year at which the sand filters were fitted as well. I need to tap someone in JHC really to bottom out the detail to get it exactly right - assuming I remain stark staring mad of course. Nowt worse than getting stuff wrong

I'm a bit more chilled out about the sand filters also now I've had a good look. I was wondering about them as I had a look at some a jawman or dutch lad banged out an another site first and I was scratching my head a bit, but having now looked into the real ones properly, the other lad has got his well wrong. Devil is in the detail.

Finished attaching the second row of seats to the top rail now, but unfortunately the mrs is making me go out. Should be pretty crap as I've been off the alcohol since Nov 27th, apart from one digression on a train the other day. Proper tea total at the minute. How sad is that.............................

quick hour this morning

IMG_8620_zpsntjta4aq.jpg

so only the belts to go. I keep looking at those lap belts and wishing I'd put three point harnesses in, but there you go. Just about to measure up/estimate the diameter of the sand filters before piling down to Wickes to see of I can get some plastic plumbing pipe of the same/similar diameter. At this point I remain wildly optimistic I can find something. Failing that its plastic card which will probably give a better result. If I do bang some out, I may get them knocked up as resin molds in case anyone else wants them

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to spent the time painting rather than do much more than a couple of the more visible pipery

The jet pipe heat range shown there is crying out for a decent alclad (similar paints may be available ;) ) amalgam of blues and golds

I'd be inclined to spent the time painting rather than do much more than a couple of the more visible pipery

The jet pipe heat range shown there is crying out for a decent alclad (similar paints may be available ;) ) amalgam of blues and golds

Its deffo in the domain of hairyplane modellers which I'm not. I'm more of slap some NATO green and black on, and preferably hand paint it rather than airbrush it.

I will have to do a bit of googling I think. Not tackled anything like that before.

• Like 1

A bit daunting them beggars

Persoomably the big down pipe is for dumping filtered sandystuff out, that's going to be cause of some major muckydusting

I had a natter with Dan about them this morning and 3D printing is a possible way forward. There is a lad in France who does commission work apparently. Anyway. I've written to the manufacturer in the States and asked them if they would be willing to release the CAD drawing for the shell. I cant imagine a casing is a big secret, but you never know. If they will, I'll have a look at getting them 3D printed.

• Like 2

Its deffo in the domain of hairyplane modellers which I'm not. I'm more of slap some NATO green and black on, and preferably hand paint it rather than airbrush it.

I will have to do a bit of googling I think. Not tackled anything like that before.

It isn't TOO bad to do

Take another looksee at Hendie's Wessex, he is suitably at this point now

I would use an airbrush (mine cost £12 off ebay) and spray Alclad or Modelair silver over the jetpipes then add thin bands of blues and burnt metal paint

Those seats are brilliant, quite like the printed belts too

It isn't TOO bad to do

Take another looksee at Hendie's Wessex, he is suitably at this point now

I would use an airbrush (mine cost £12 off ebay) and spray Alclad or Modelair silver over the jetpipes then add thin bands of blues and burnt metal paint

Those seats are brilliant, quite like the printed belts too

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. I was also having a look at that lad's BlackHawk the other day - that's also stunning. Some bloody good builders on here. Makes my efforts look very average, although I've come on in the last year or two. Its down to time isn't it? Anyway. Ta for the tip

• Like 1

Right. A couple of shots to give you an idea of where I have got to with those bloody seats!

IMG_8629a_zpsoyiwb6oy.jpg

one small gaff which is the straps on one of the seats covering the widow at the front - easily fixed thank god.

IMG_8629_zpsbbvozzgl.jpg

I've drilled the floor. You wont see the holes, so the debate is epoxy them in or not - I probably will, once I've got the windows done and a few other bits.

IMG_8631_zpskb58pn2u.jpg

just to give you an idea, before they vanish never to be seen again....

IMG_8632_zpshm8rxsqy.jpg

erm Christmas has arrived here as you can see from her bits of crap on the window. She says I'm a right misery guts when I tell her its all crap!

IMG_8634_zpsel6tgeag.jpg

IMG_8636_zpskq7lne0l.jpg

quite pleased with them. I think they are a respectable effort (if I may say so myself). I was absolutely dreading doing them

IMG_8641_zpsqd34cubp.jpg

so time to take stock on what needs to be done on the interior before I press on. Some thought needed on how to secure the top rails, but other than that its windows, comms kit, minigun and a big debate about what to put in the heli in terms of kit and blokes. if I do strap the L118 to it, I need to have a think about what's in the wokka wokka

• Like 5