Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

Si,

Got to say it mate, it's going to one impressive build fella, I know those seats have given a fair amount of grief

But it's going to look amazing once done, keep it up.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I think I've cracked it mate. Had a really good look at them late last night when I got back home.

Where I have made the mistake is looking a the Edwood instructions and photos. When you look at piccies of real ones, and also model blokes, you quickly realise that if you say a model bloke down on them, if he were real he'd have legs that were about 10" long!

The trick is where to bend the straps. Edwood have a mark on the straps indicating that you bend them about 5mm from the top - if you look at the photos of mine, you can see as i've bent the straps. The reality is the straps should be bent half way down which is about 10mm. If you bend them there, the seats are in proposition to where a bloke would bend his knee when he sat down and they are line up properly with the windows. Edwood have placed the 'bend here' mark too high on the straps. Not an issue - just a bit irritating, and not one you'd spot unless you fully assembled the seats before painting, which you are never going to do

This stuff's magic. Not just the building work but the narration as well :thumbsup2:

Al

thanks mate. I've come to the conclusion that a bit of the modelling stuff posted in forums is a bit like people posting pictures on facebook - you never see any ugly selfies. In other words noone posts their cock-ups. I thought I'd post mine as whats the point if you dont share?

That said, here is the seat problem

IMG_8554a_zps5agxvicd.jpg

You cab see where I have had to drop the straps

IMG_8555_zpsseuketrm.jpg

and where my lovely red paint has flaked off!!

These sit probably in the cab. When you look at photos of real ones, the straps are long, and the top of the back rest actually sits quite high against the window. In terms of an emergency exit, I'd say the seats in front of the window are deffo a hazard. probably not much of an issue is you have someone popping off a surface to air missile at you when you are in the air. 'oh I must jump out of this window at 1000 feet to escape that smoke trail that seems to be coming towards me a bit to quick for its own good'

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 2

Nice mini gun Si, don't worry mate you will get there perseverance will pay off !

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 1

The seats

nay beggar that, all of it so far look tremendous

I had the enjoyment of flying US Army Chinny in '77

The red seats looked wrecked even then*, yours look equally good but as if they have a good few more flying hours ahead

I stood by the front door with the loadie rather than try sitting on 'em, they looked shot.

The seats

nay beggar that, all of it so far look tremendous

I had the enjoyment of flying US Army Chinny in '77

The red seats looked wrecked even then*, yours look equally good but as if they have a good few more flying hours ahead

I stood by the front door with the loadie rather than try sitting on 'em, they looked shot.

You lucky lad. You can point things out as I go then!!

Harnesses going on

IMG_8564_zpsjiyuv5jv.jpg

IMG_8565_zpsb1cttyub.jpg

IMG_8566_zpsxz8pifby.jpg

• Like 6

Si,

Got to say it mate, it's going to one impressive build fella, I know those seats have given a fair amount of grief

But it's going to look amazing once done, keep it up.

Dan

I'm not sure how many people will read this build, but I have read a the three or four other builds on the web on Tumpeter Chinooks, and you see the nice piccies but not the thought that's gone into solving the problem, which is where the real value lies - how to best construct them. I know everyone wants to do it themselves, but sometimes learning from people of nicking ideas always helps.

So I'm used to 1/35th Land Rovers, fiddling with etch on armour and soft skins. I've not tackled anything this intricately complex before like these seats and getting them in, and whilst its obviously a learning curve, I'll have the experience after the event. Hopefully, I wont have to start again from scratch with another set of seats (always a possibility). Some of the lads in this bit of the forum will have that experience as they obviously spent their lives gluing halves of fuselages together..... Yes its sad. Deffo not as good as armour (awaits incoming).

I'll probably stick a para together on the seats is the wraps up on this long ramble............................ then everyone can ignore it and make their own mistakes (or not)!!

• Like 1

Great work on this build, having been taxied around a hot and dusty part of the world in the back of one of these more than once, your build is on the money and accurate. Don't forget the cool box by the starboard door that the Loadie sits on!

Thanks lads. One quick question for any of you plane modellers. The glass work. Diamond polish or Klear? There is a lot of glass on this and I had a looksee at a couple of canopies that were polished and they look really good.

Any preferences/views? I never do anything bigger than a window in a land rover so would value an opinion or two

I dip my canopies in clear that makes them more glass like but some use future, I have not heard of diamond polish being used on canopies someone with more knowledge than me should be along with some better advice.

Guy

IMG_8601_zps7n7jhocu.jpg

well its the old 'stick em to a bit of masking tape stuck to a diet coke box' technique.

I hate these seats. This is exactly why I put this down for a year. Oh and the etch harnesses are lap belts.

See if this works. I hate them

• Like 2

I dip my canopies in clear that makes them more glass like but some use future, I have not heard of diamond polish being used on canopies someone with more knowledge than me should be along with some better advice.

Guy

I was having a look on ewetube just out of interest more than anything (bored moment) and there was a septic who polished his canopy (so to speak) with a dremel and diamond polish. Said he thought Klear was pants. I wish I'd kept the link. These things came up absolutely amazing. Never seen it before. I will see if I can find it in my ewetube history and post it. Its worth a watch