Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

I don’t know it it will help but I needed to fill the rivets on my Airfix big harrier. I tried a few things and found Vallejo model filler was the best way to do it. It comes in a tube with a precise nozzle so you can apply a small dot to each rivet then sand the excess. It was reasonably quick to apply and did a fairly neat job without filling panel lines

40 minutes ago, FZ6 said:

I don’t know it it will help but I needed to fill the rivets on my Airfix big harrier. I tried a few things and found Vallejo model filler was the best way to do it. It comes in a tube with a precise nozzle so you can apply a small dot to each rivet then sand the excess. It was reasonably quick to apply and did a fairly neat job without filling panel lines

The stuff I' using is ace.  You can either apply it straight out of the bottle which is a lot quicker, or dab it on, which was the first panel I did to try it.  It requires no sanding and dries in about an hour then you wipe off the excess with a cotton ear bud soaked in alcohol.  Its quick and painless - there are just lots of rivets.........

The upside of applying it out of the bottle is speed - the downside is it takes longer to wipe off with the cotton bud.  

Wokka

I quick twenty os so minutes has seen me clean 70% of the stuff off I applied last night.  Thanks for the tip but I'll stick with the stuff I'm using.  No sanding, therefore no damage to the underlying plastic.  Cheers anyway.

Done a second rotor this morning

50866044546_8e2925f89e_b.jpg

They are now hanging like the carbon ones that are now fitted to the 1/1 scale Wokkas.  I was planning to have this in flight lifting a Pinz and 109, but I'm going to have to ralyy give some thought to these blade and the positioning of them when I come to use the ones I'm hijacking from the Mert kit....... really hacked off about that and I'm toying with telling the mrs' lad to ship out of Nottingham and get his arrse down to Kent where the virus is 30% more effective.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just went through the thread here.  WOW!  Glad you are back at it.  From the work you have put into this so far she is going to be absolutely amazing when you finish.

Perhaps don't let your lady know your thinking about the youngster. 🙂

Happy modeling.

Chris

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dadeo911 said:

Just went through the thread here.  WOW!  Glad you are back at it.  From the work you have put into this so far she is going to be absolutely amazing when you finish.

Perhaps don't let your lady know your thinking about the youngster. 🙂

Happy modeling.

Chris

I'm almost certainly going to have to do exactly the same thing and take a wander right through it as I need to go back to the reference pictures and data.  There is a wealth of information in this thread, so I hope it doesnt disappear as it will save anyone building one of these a wedge of time on research.  

Anyway...  Tidied up the first panels and have started on the remainder if this half of the airframe.

Wokka

This first section was the trial run

Wokka

What I plan to do not is to putty up all of the panel lines then just clean the whole thing off.  Its probably the quickest way to do it.

Planning to make a start on the new rotors today

• Like 3

Managed to get an hour or three in on yesterday before having a jar or three.

Wokka

Wokka

So the good news is I have managed to rescue the original rotors, which means I don't have to butcher the kit I had earmarked for a Mert.

The more eagle eyed of you will spot I need to swop the rotors round as the front should be counter-clockwise and the rear clockwise - I've got them the wrong way round at the minute.

I now need to straighten the remaining blades.

Wokka

This I think is the position I'd like to get my Wokka to but I'm not sure how the loadies would feel about hooking up the Pinz and 109 to this!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Back on it today after a two week interlude having a crack at sculpting figures.

Wokka

It wants a bit of tidying up but reasonably pleased for a first attempt.

Anyway......

Wokka

Wokka

STILL pressing on with this........  The joys.........

• Like 3

Pretty full on ten days on the worky thing at the minute including most of last weekend unfortunately, but a major breakthrough!!

These were a huge mental blocker for me and actually what caused me to put it on the shelf for three years

Wokka Wokka

Mahoosive huge enormous thanks to @basildon_bond on the army rumour service for banging these out for me on his 3D printer.  

Thanks mate.  You are a start!!

Wokka

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY got the filler done for the rivets.

Wokka

The other thing to note is the rear tower.  Rotors now set properly - compare them to the kit rotors on the front tower which are 'oh so 80s'..... Maybe a teeny bit more work to do on the rear rotors, but its pretty close

• Like 6

contrary to popular belief, I am still doing the bloody thing.

Finally happy with the rotors which were a mahoosive pain in the berm.

Wokka

Wokka

Wokka

I can make a start on stripping off the filler now. Woo hoo!

• Like 1

This is one of those jobs where you wish you'd not started it

Wokka

But.....

Wokka

You know you'l be glad you did it when you've finished........

Wokka

That's about 4 hours worth of work to get me this far.  Its mind numbingly boring I have to say, but I should start motoring again after next weekend, which is when I plan to do the other side of the airframe

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, viper-30 said:

Looking good my friend . 

Hello Terry mate - hope you are well.  Funnily enough I wqs thinking about you today and wondering how you were getting on.

Did you ever finish that AS90 of yours?  It was a thing of beauty

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Ramesh said:

Hello there, did you finish this Chinook ? Do you have a link to the page.

Have so loved reading your build. 

Ramesh.

[email protected]

Temporarily lost the will to live with removing the filler from the rivet holes.  There is about three of four hours work to do on it, but the excruciating mental anguish caused by doing it has prompted me to eat my own arms.

Ok - I'm kidding.  I needed a break from it so made the mental mistake of starting  a 4 x 1/35 tank parallel build of a Berlin Chally 2, a NATO Chally 2, a Cromwell and a Centuar, which have taken about 5 month so far, and I made the mistake of starting an Amusing Hobby Mk5 Cent along the way, so thats 5 on the go at the same time.

The positive is I'm close to starting weathering 4 of the 5, so expect to be back on the Wokka by the end of November, which means

it may be over by Christmas.

Assuming I don't start a 1/32 Phatmon, a Chally 1 and a Mk10 Chiefy.

I will finish the Wokka.

Honest

• Like 2

Greetings my old mate .. good to see your back on it .. had a peak at your modelling on bottom … doing good mate ..

yes I did finish the AS 90 .. turned out ok I think .. hope your keeping well sir ..

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, viper-30 said:

Greetings my old mate .. good to see your back on it .. had a peak at your modelling on bottom … doing good mate ..

yes I did finish the AS 90 .. turned out ok I think .. hope your keeping well sir ..

spacer.png

Hello Terry mate - that's a bit good!!  I hope my armour turns out that well - I'm probably starting to weather them this week if I can motivate myself!

I've enjoyed my time getting the modelling forum away on THAT site, but its time to move on and return to the world of modelling.  Its a shame as if you look at the armour builds, the contribution from other calls signs is great.  You get a very different perspective on the builds.  The downside is other parts of the site are a tad sporty, which you will be more than aware of if you post on it with a different call sign!

Should be back on the Wokka this year.  Its a bit of a standing joke as you know!!

Hope all is well at your end.

Si

12 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

If you start the Cheify please do a build thread on it.

Gondor

Mk10 NATO colours is calling my name......

Come on get back on it. It’s because of this build that I was inspired to do my Puma which I recently finished. Couldn’t do a Chinney as that’s blatant copying:lalala:

On 10/4/2021 at 5:25 PM, speedy said:

Come on get back on it. It’s because of this build that I was inspired to do my Puma which I recently finished. Couldn’t do a Chinney as that’s blatant copying:lalala:

I caught your build.  It's on my extensive 'to do' list, but having saw yours I thought I couldn't copy yours!  It's a lovely build fella.

I'm on with these at the minute, after which I will have a go at the Wokka...

9704018B-0167-45C4-AE10-90E3D650E6E4

7E9D3C07-C623-492B-B8E5-01CBD0B6240E

96871639-4554-4200-A53B-76BA2DAC18B7

15E67777-723A-497D-93B3-C513F5DAAB02

Sorry about the thread drift for all you hairyplane modellers!!

• Thanks 2