Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Amended later: hmmm...having read p.1 again I realize them seats were an AM set. I've only a couple to do so looks like the wine bottle foil will be coming out imminently...

What a perfect excuse, should one be needed, for cracking a bottle of plonk!

Ian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 3:16 PM, limeypilot said:

What a perfect excuse, should one be needed, for cracking a bottle of plonk!

Ian

Never a bad time to crack a bottle of wine is what I say!

On 4/26/2017 at 8:10 AM, TheBaron said:

Handsome work as ever Si. :thumbsup2: 

Sorry to have to admit that I'm nicking your perspex pole mounting idea so that my C-119 has enough clearance to catch a parachute. I'm also going to read back in here to see how you built your cabin seating as I've a couple of them to knock up as well from scratch....

Keep it up!

Tony

Amended later: hmmm...having read p.1 again I realize them seats were an AM set. I've only a couple to do so looks like the wine bottle foil will be coming out imminently...

Thank you.  You'll have to let me know how you get on with those perspex pole mounts as at this rate, I'll be another 4 years............................

Right.  I have had a mahoosive mental block on these for some reason, which is bonkers as they proved to be pretty easy in the end and the solution was staring me in the face the whole time.  

IMG_6391_zpsgnrpcgko.jpg

IMG_6392_zpstnw8oq2z.jpg

IMG_6395_zps1dfojfge.jpg

just got the big one to do at the front now.  Also had a crack at these

IMG_6393_zps366vi0az.jpg

Bit of filling to do - over enthusiastic cutting. 

• Like 4

On 5/9/2017 at 3:26 PM, phildagreek said:

Getting there. Looks good.

Thanks Phil.

Just on with the antenna now.  I bought the profimodeller brass antenna - I need 5 and there are 18 in the pack, so I'm good for another 2 Chinook.........

A few issues to correct, like they are about 5.. too long, and the brass is drilled, which aint any use as the cable/tube sits on top, rather than through the centre.  Other than that the Profimodeller brass antenna are spot on for accuracy..................................

IMG_6430_zps7ldh656m.jpg

My trusty dremel should sort the problem:lol: 

Looking very good indeed, huge respect. Just one quick question.....'enough for another 2' WHAT!?!?!? Really???? Another 2 Chinooks of this size?????? Have you been sniffing a certain brand of paint (that will remain nameless for the good of all on here) and, more to the point, how on earth will you get them past the other half?????

20 hours ago, Simon382 said:

Looking very good indeed, huge respect. Just one quick question.....'enough for another 2' WHAT!?!?!? Really???? Another 2 Chinooks of this size?????? Have you been sniffing a certain brand of paint (that will remain nameless for the good of all on here) and, more to the point, how on earth will you get them past the other half?????

Deffo a joke!  I've got the Pinz and 105 to do after this.  They should take about 10 minutes in comparison.  I've got a whole bunch of other stuff stacked up as well.  |Not the least of which is a Fly Wessex.  This Wokka will be the last piece of model engineering I ever do I think.  I just want to build the bloody things and chill out now!

IMG_6440_zpsg4lyvntl.jpg

4 to go.  I cant decide if this is impatience or not, but I want to get the antenna pylons on.  At least I'll feel like I've achieved something and its another line through on the snag list.  I'm actually hoping to nail the entire list this weekend.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, bar side said:

I'd be afraid to pick it up now for fear of knocking something off!  Looks great

Its a bit scary I have to say.......... and thank you by the way.  On the finishing touches now before I prime it

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bar side said:

I'd be afraid to pick it up now for fear of knocking something off!  Looks great

I did..................... its the Peroni.  That's my excuse anyway........

20 hours ago, viper-30 said:

Finishing touches that's phrase we don't often hear from you ............lol..

you good mate...

hahahaha (as they say).  Hello Terry mate - yep I'm good, and close!!  

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Fabulous.  Can't wait to see it under some paint

Just struggling with this at the minute.  Not convinced.  Views????????

IMG_6486_zpsxilsw0ax.jpg

and got these on just by the armour plate

IMG_6497_zpszfr7bmie.jpg

So apart from the Doplar and where the other sand filter where it is attached to the fuel feedline covers, I'm REAL close.  I am

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Looking at the picture of the original engine mounting; is there an additional narrow strengthening plate (?) on the horizontal panel on the engine pylon.

There is - I've got it, but I'm not sure if it goes all the way round.  I hadnt spotted that by the way!

I've also got the back of that plastic strip to trim off .  I' not sure how much I can do on this as I'v got hardly any piccies - that's the best one I've got really.  Someone.  Somewhere, will be reading this saying 'that's wrong'.........  

Edited by simmerit

This is the problem with the hinterweb - one of the lads on ARRSE provided some input

The steel ballistic panels used to be a **** as they were so heavy, one on the inside of the bottom of each cockpit "door", two smaller ones on the floor either side of the cyclic stick, the companionway floor (turned it into an ice rink when wet), the door plug externally armoured (you've done) and three panels across the floor between station 120 and 160 (between the escape hatch LH and the door RH); these were half inch ish armour plate with cut outs for the cargo tie downs and bolted down in each corner.

And the door panels were painted black on both sides, so they don't show up well in pictures (as the whole cockpit is black), as were the cockpit floor panels and the companionway. I can't recall off the top of my head what colour the cabin floor ones were - kind of rusty looking I seem to remember so might have been a red oxide like primer colour.

ai-Chinook-air-crew-armour-pla_zpsaghmll

This is what an armour package for a Chinook looks like, and

13993827699_e8dc5c8a30_b_zps9iuhtjwh.jpg

bang goes some of that lovely detail of my air crews lovely Oakley desert boots that I spent so much time on................ see lower door for ballistic plate.

Another one for the snag list, but it wont stop me priming it!!

• Like 2