Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

I have a check on FS developer as to how to activate it if I get a mo later. Whilst it is indeed old, it may be overkill for what you're trying to do; it's well loved by the flight simulator crowd for making visual models but I suspect it might be pants for creating the STL(?) files you need for printing. I suggested it because someone said AutoCAD and GMax is a clone of Autodesk big daddy product 3DS Max.

If it were me, I'd start at the other end and find out what is recommended by the printing people. Sketchup may be adequate. Blender is also highly regarded though often said to be weird by those who have grown up on mainstream payware. Whichever way you go, expect a reasonably steep learning curve even to do something as apparently simple as scaling an full size model. I've come across full size CAD that is intended for other purposes than manufacture and it's not necessarily as straightforward to work with as you might want. For example, you may just have the outer surface and need to "thicken" it to make the piece you need.

Good luck though. Let us know how you get on!! :D

Kirk

I have a check on FS developer as to how to activate it if I get a mo later. Whilst it is indeed old, it may be overkill for what you're trying to do; it's well loved by the flight simulator crowd for making visual models but I suspect it might be pants for creating the STL(?) files you need for printing. I suggested it because someone said AutoCAD and GMax is a clone of Autodesk big daddy product 3DS Max.

If it were me, I'd start at the other end and find out what is recommended by the printing people. Sketchup may be adequate. Blender is also highly regarded though often said to be weird by those who have grown up on mainstream payware. Whichever way you go, expect a reasonably steep learning curve even to do something as apparently simple as scaling an full size model. I've come across full size CAD that is intended for other purposes than manufacture and it's not necessarily as straightforward to work with as you might want. For example, you may just have the outer surface and need to "thicken" it to make the piece you need.

Good luck though. Let us know how you get on!! :D

Kirk

Will do!!

Well this is deffo one of the more amusing things I've ever built!

IMG_0552_zpszqfx5bj0.jpg

I need the catch things on the top of it obviously, but

IMG_0554_zpsmrks8tvb.jpg

it makes me laugh anyway!!

• Like 3

if you want a decent free, good cad software and LEGAL... get Dassault's Draftsight https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

It's an AutoCAD clone - if you know AutoCAD this will be second nature, even the interface is 99.9% the same. You do have to register once per year with them but it is free for home use.

• Like 2

if you want a decent free, good cad software and LEGAL... get Dassault's Draftsight https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

It's an AutoCAD clone - if you know AutoCAD this will be second nature, even the interface is 99.9% the same. You do have to register once per year with them but it is free for home use.

Thanks Hendie. I will have a look once I have built a new ladder. Wallace and Grommet moment. Its the wrong ladder.

Si .. Pinged you last night on the phone about the AutoCAD :)

Dan

Yep I picked it up dead late. I was researching ladders................................................ so missed it coming in. I've had 743,332 offers of doing the CAD design for me so far. OK. A slight exaggeration. I've had 4 or 5 pms offering to take the drawings and CAD them. One kind offer was to even arrange for the 3D printing to be done and provide me them through their shop!

I was having a look at 3D printers last night. They are currently retailing at about 900 sheets. I reckon they will be down at the 400 sheet mark by the end of the year, if they go the same way flat screen teles did - that's where I think they will go. Commodity price before they have even hit the streets. That starts to make them viable. The reason I say that is cause where I think modelling will go is you buy the file to print from model designers and you knock out your own kit at home. It will be a few years, but its deffo coming. You can see it happening. Anyway. I'm going to have a crack at the CAD/CAM myself first as if I can crack this, it opens up the possibility of doing other stuff. I'd love to have done those figures for my MAT for example.

I will let you know how I get on!

A couple of things.

Anyone come across this lot?

chinook-pitot-tubes-and-external-antenas

its the pitot tubes and antenna. They are from a polish lot called profimodeller. 20 sheets on Hannants. Brass. Two different sets with different part numbers and I cant tell the difference between the two!

erm

IMG_0559a_zpswnxmdhai.jpg

the right ladder

IMG_0559_zpsct34xnys.jpg

• Like 2

I was having a look at 3D printers last night. They are currently retailing at about 900 sheets. I reckon they will be down at the 400 sheet mark by the end of the year, if they go the same way flat screen teles did - that's where I think they will go. Commodity price before they have even hit the streets. That starts to make them viable. The reason I say that is cause where I think modelling will go is you buy the file to print from model designers and you knock out your own kit at home. It will be a few years, but its deffo coming. You can see it happening. Anyway. I'm going to have a crack at the CAD/CAM myself first as if I can crack this, it opens up the possibility of doing other stuff. I'd love to have done those figures for my MAT for example.

Not only will the price drop but expect the quality to increase as well. If anybody is interested here's a mother of all 3D printing sites with everything from printing food to metal parts with Heath Robinson printers through to a whopping 800k plus jobbie that will require a shed extension. http://www.3ders.org

Edited by Reilly
  • Like 1

IMG_0619_zpsgs9zw8vt.jpg

This will be the final resting place of the ladder I reckon - it blocks out too much detail on the avionics. Quick coat of aluminium after a mutt walk in a bit and its done. Also been having a look at those brass fittings and they look quite nice. I think its kit B that's required.

• Like 2

Starting to very much like the real thing now and the ladder is simply adding more guilding to the lilly.

Just looking at your picture of the real ladder below, is there a broom bungeed to it as well ?

IMG_0559a_zpswnxmdhai.jpg

There is mate. I've just alu'd the ladder

IMG_8747_zps839jmtvl.jpeg

and done the first bungee

IMG_0624_zpstk5sv7hv.jpg

I'd love to claim the credit for that bit of creativity, but that honour lies at the door of Dan

• Like 4

Just got some absolutely stunning shots through from one of the lads on ARRSE. I cant use them all without blanking faces, as they are recent, but some very useful reference photos. Here are a couple of tasters!!

OpJacana%2078_zpsxo6cykjs.jpg

OpJacana%2012_zpswgwwqnna.jpg

OpJacana%2010_zpsb9j2nou5.jpg

DSCN0071_zpsrmwepbqn.jpg

Afg%20WIS%20JB%2074_zpsbrabzbwi.jpg

Afg%20UK%2017_zps8nvxl7pg.jpg

DSCN0072_zpsqqzjhuvs.jpg

is it me or is that SA80 pointing upwards?

DSCN0073_zpspwt3saun.jpg

A ladder!!

Afg%20WIS%20JB%20495_zpsh10lyaer.jpg

• Like 1

Just got some absolutely stunning shots through from one of the lads on ARRSE. I cant use them all without blanking faces, as they are recent, but some very useful reference photos. Here are a couple of tasters!!

DSCN0072_zpsqqzjhuvs.jpg

is it me or is that SA80 pointing upwards?

It's not a SA80. Hollow pistol grip and magazine is curving the wrong way. Looks like it has a folding stock of some sort?

It's not a SA80. Hollow pistol grip and magazine is curving the wrong way. Looks like it has a folding stock of some sort?

You are right. I looked at the hollow grip and through the cover had dropped off. The pistol grip would be the wrong way round as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0/10 for CTR skills!!!! Moral of story. Look properly before you type!!

Looks like a HK G3 to me mate, Defo not standard issue so he could be a member of the Hereford gun club ?

No its not 'Them'. There are some ace external shots. Here are a couple more of the detailed interiors ones. I've got a lot of faces to blank out in the other piccies, which is shame as the smiley faces detract from the snaps which are superb. Stacks of detail. But persec and all that and these lads are still serving.

protect%20the%20innocent_zpsmpwmqazp.jpg

protect%20the%20innocent1_zpsjrvtqlxz.jp

I think you are right about the gat - they were out there. I thought the tool cover was gone on the pistol grip on glancing at it - thats my excuse anyway!!

Got to do the worky thing now, but I'm hopefully will get some piccies from the batch worked in when I finally get to the outside.

Note the ladder. I love ladders. They are ace!!

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 1

Good phots. Don't bite my head off now, but I thought the UKSF were pretty much users of the M16/M4 family of weapons in Iraq & Afghanistan? I've read that they remain non members of the SA80 fan club.

Or have I got that totally wrong?

Good phots. Don't bite my head off now, but I thought the UKSF were pretty much users of the M16/M4 family of weapons in Iraq & Afghanistan? I've read that they remain non members of the SA80 fan club.

Or have I got that totally wrong?

I have you lot at an advantage as I know what these lads do for their bread and rations. The aren't anything to do with 'Them'. I'll post some more piccies and lets get back to the modelling!!

Sshhh now

OpJacana%2010_zpsb9j2nou5.jpg

This picture could give you an excuse to add the tail gun as well as having the crew looking out at the load getting attached

Gondor

This picture could give you an excuse to add the tail gun as well as having the crew looking out at the load getting attached

Gondor

I have said gun to do. I'm on the second one as the first one I bought from Live Resin was U S due to casting problems and I bought it too long ago to return it. new one is good to go

IMG_0619_zpsgs9zw8vt.jpg

This will be the final resting place of the ladder I reckon - it blocks out too much detail on the avionics. Quick coat of aluminium after a mutt walk in a bit and its done. Also been having a look at those brass fittings and they look quite nice. I think its kit B that's required.

I had to do a double take of this picture, I thought it was the real think.

Nice one Si

• Like 1