Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

Ah the fe** with it Si

Who needs a Wokka* when we're getting this kind of internals mate

Awesome (an oft' used epithet round yere) is not even close to defining your efforts and results

Take as long as you like mate, WE are all the richer for it

*just don't forget WE do need the Wokka

later ;)

by the way

That desert picture

What idiot spoiled it by plonking a helochopter in it?

Photographers.. wot are they like huh? ;)

This build has made amazing progress since I last checked in and is looking really good. I especially like the soundproofing. A lot better than the base kit detail in this scale. Some great inspiration and reference for when I build mine.

Speaking of inspiration I was thinking of picking up this book to read along side by build when I get to work on it and I was wondering if anyone had read this book and could recommend it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweating-Metal-Chinook-Blistering-Afghanistan/dp/1444707981/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1456955773&sr=8-11

Regards,

Mark

Speaking of inspiration I was thinking of picking up this book to read along side by build when I get to work on it and I was wondering if anyone had read this book and could recommend it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweating-Metal-Chinook-Blistering-Afghanistan/dp/1444707981/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1456955773&sr=8-11

Regards,

Mark

It's a good book. I've read it a couple of times, and it's definitely entertaining. There's a book out by another Wokka driver - 'Immediate Response' - which I preferred. Mainly due to the difference in writing style. Sweating the Metal definitely feels like it was written by a Crab. Immediate Response was written by a Bootie Pilot, so you can imagine it has a few more, shall we say, entertaining anecdotes. A bit less 'pip pip, cheerio' and a bit more down to earth.

Both are definitely recommended reading though. I thoroughly enjoyed both.

• Like 2

It's a good book. I've read it a couple of times, and it's definitely entertaining. There's a book out by another Wokka driver - 'Immediate Response' - which I preferred. Mainly due to the difference in writing style. Sweating the Metal definitely feels like it was written by a Crab. Immediate Response was written by a Bootie Pilot, so you can imagine it has a few more, shall we say, entertaining anecdotes. A bit less 'pip pip, cheerio' and a bit more down to earth.

Both are definitely recommended reading though. I thoroughly enjoyed both.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll pick up both books and apologies for the thread digression.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just getting back on the Wokka after a couple of weeks break due to the worky thing and a jolly. Having a look at the centre winch

IMG_9918_zpsftfiygdh.jpg

I picked up some model boat stanchions which have worked OK. I've not got any real detailed photos, so there is not much I can do I'm afraid

• Like 4

Was wondering when you were coming back ? Nice work with the winch area Si.

I got the 1/48th version but it's going to be a while before it's done as I have to get all the bits and bobs together, don't know anyone who does 48th filters for the engines do you ?? :shrug:

Guy

Was wondering when you were coming back ? Nice work with the winch area Si.

I got the 1/48th version but it's going to be a while before it's done as I have to get all the bits and bobs together, don't know anyone who does 48th filters for the engines do you ?? :shrug:

Guy

No mate. Sorry. I think I've only seen 1/72nd filters on my travels.

IMG_9923_zpsfnicyoyg.jpg

Glued the hatch open now, so that's it. Its official. The hatch is open.

I'm going to have a look at getting the other gun mount after a brew, then I reckon I can think about getting that floor and bulkhead in finally

IMG_9927_zps8fakdhne.jpg

• Like 7

Aint she sweet huh

I have no real idea what sits under that hatch in real life but I have no doubt that is what it looks like

Looking marvellous Si

But now you really have to get a perfumier to bottle "Essence of 'bloodyhotavtur' " to pervade the dio area when you 'show' it

Really looks real

Aint she sweet huh

I have no real idea what sits under that hatch in real life but I have no doubt that is what it looks like

Looking marvellous Si

But now you really have to get a perfumier to bottle "Essence of 'bloodyhotavtur' " to pervade the dio area when you 'show' it

Really looks real

Thanks Bill mate. This is what I've knocked out

IMG_9927E_zpshx3gxjfi.jpg

She's made me watch tele with her tonight so no progress,

I have to knock this out next

IMG_9927C_zpsxcyevsjf.jpg

Cant see the cocking handle but its got to be an A2. I'm going for 2006,so I'm guessing this stowage was still in play. The other issue I have is this

IMG_9927A_zpszkwohehs.jpg

no not the flash hider snapped off..... ACOG and a Daniel Defense rail. No idea when we started to fit these rails. Was it around 2006?

Live Resin. They are stunning. Got three with iron sights and carry handles as well

IMG_9927D_zpskzz3aaik.jpg

Handy shot for me positioning the mount for the gun rather than trying to measure the other one!

• Like 3

Si ,

All slowly falling into place fella , the attention to detail is second to none on this build so

If you need a plane A1 vanilla version of the SA80 then drop me a line , I have a pack of the live resin

A1s with Susat sights ?

Dan

• Like 1

Hello Dan mate. She's flat out so I can do some research on the ACOG..... She had a proper moan last night about me being back on the Wokka

LSW had a SUSAT fitted as well. I'm assuming LSWs got binned donkies years ago though.

URL=http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/simmerit/media/simmerit001/simmerit001021/IMG_9933_zpsa7pholtk.png.html]IMG_9933_zpsa7pholtk.png[/url]

Looks like the SUSAT is toast now and has been replaced by the ELCAN, apart from Infantry which look like they have all moved over to ACOG. Not sure when the ACOG came in still as a new version was issued in 2009, so it could have been around in 2006. The 2009 sight has the inscription 'I am the Light of the World' removed as it was upsetting some people (John 8:12 from the Bible). I'd have thought it would have upset people because it was attached to something that dispatched lead in single and multiple quantities!!!! Funny old world we live in. First A1 was issued on 2nd October 1985 to Gary Gavin apparently - we are officially well old mate.

Can find anything on the Daniel Defense Rail apart from the fact that you can buy a genuine one on Ebay for $289.99! No idea when it was released on the SA80.

Any youngsters in here put us old lads out of our misery and give me some dates? 2006 is the one I'm after re what was issued.

• Like 1

Right then. A bit of good progress. Woo hoo, but the big result is she's at her mothers. It doesn't get any better than that lads

IMG_9934_zpsisnih89i.jpg

This will be open on mine but I needed it in place to get the height of the mini-gun mount right

IMG_9935_zps8d2c0yrn.jpg

I'll not be fitting the Cobra resin door top. I could have had it opened inside, but they are also stripped out

IMG_9938_zpstc1vnfag.jpg

job done

IMG_9940_zpste7hlzrl.jpg

at this stage i just needed to get the latch on the bulkhead for the swing arm

IMG_9944_zpsrmbkyrsk.jpg

I'm going to hand one of the SA80s in here I reckon - should cover over the soundproofing where its a bit iffy

IMG_9947_zpsvjzcws67.jpg

I've resin glued the floor in. I will also need to put additional struts in under the floor to ensure both halves go together correctly

IMG_9948_zpsfcdhut5n.jpg

and that is the lock in for the swing arm. Job done (as they say). Still got a few bits to bang out, but hopefully the two halves will be together next weekend - as soon as I get a view on when that Daniel Defense Rail upgrade came into service on the SA80

• Like 4

Really got to grips with the Archer rivets then Si , once again attention to detail is amazing, I had to look at the full size photos then again to see the detail :)

If this is the inside then no pressure for the outside details fella, you have set the bar here !

Dan