Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

Looking well Si , some really nice touches of detail going into this build fella.

Keep it up matey :)

Dan

Cheers Dan mate - that's appreciated.

Centre panel sorted

IMG_9215_zpsh4yfouzn.jpg

IMG_9217_zpsktjtw4rm.jpg

IMG_9216_zpsfnc60lhc.jpg

Just need to check out some of the reference piccies. electronicsy/commsy/avionicsy gubbinns normally covered over, but I also haves naps where they are exposed. What I'm planning to do if the reference piccies check out is make a cover for the exposed kit and have it folded back. I'm guessing this stuff applies with heavy duty velcro.

I've got a rail to do for above the centre access to the flyee bit at the front and already have my dividing curtain made, so may this will hopefully be complete by the end of the week. Nailing it is the nextphase before I get the floor sprayed. One last bit of avionics kit to get on as well on that shelf on the starboard side at the bottom. Its made - it just wants putting in.

Cover for the avionics now

Those bottom two holes by the way are from a fire extinguisher which is on the septic wokka. Not seen where they are kept on the British Wokkas

• Like 4

I keep popping in to check up on this one......never disappointed, this is gonna be stunning when she's done. Great work.

Eng

Thanks lads. I've popped quite a few reference shots in just in case anyone else is looking for ideas.

Anyway. Whacked. Not convinced about this

IMG_9221_zpstwqjr5fo.jpg

Had a crack at scrunching up the soundproof and I think its getting binned and its 'start again'

IMG_9217a_zpszrx8jta8.jpg

That box above the escape hatch is not in the model at all, so needs making. I've got to cut my hatch out as well which I should have done up front. Oh well.

and there is hope!!

IMG_9217b_zpsd4qjho9l.jpg

Look where that ladder is!!

• Like 3

I keep looking in on this and have been very rude in not telling you how amazing this is!

As an ex-pilot for RAPA (or JSPC) at Bad Lippspringe, I got a few rides in various helicopters that dropped in. Mostly in the Lynx but two memorable trips were in a CH-53 and the Chinook. What you've done so far is nothing short of spectacular!

Anyway. Whacked. Not convinced about this

IMG_9221_zpstwqjr5fo.jpg

The soundproofing is attached using velcro at its edges. It's a single piece over the electrical shelves, not in pieces as you have it there. If anything, it tends to peel away downwards from the top if it comes lose. You may be better to have it removed entirely.

As for the last pic with the ladder at the back. Not 100% sure as it's quite small but that may well not be a UK Chinook.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks Mark.

Andy - its a septic Chinook. I now this is quite a sad statement as its indicative of how much time I've spent looking at photos, but I have concluded that our ladders come from B&Q and the septic ladders must be from Walmart - our ladders seem to be steel and the yank ones appear to be red, so a different source for ladders I guess......

I felt sure the soundproof was single sheet - there did appear to be a dividing line which is what made me doubt. I've binned it anyway as it didn't work and am leaving the avoinics exposed.

What's the crack with the Fire Extinguisher on the Brit wokkas? Is it on the bulkhead?

Cheers

Si

IMG_9227_zps1rza173n.jpg

I've been wondering what this resin bit from Cobra was for ages!It is attached to the shelf about the escape hatch/gun door!

Only issue I have now is

IMG_9226_zps5sg3qpcx.jpg

where exactly does the shelf go?

IMG_9228a_zpscczustum.jpg

I cant tell from any of the piccies I have as they are all from the side/at an angle where I cant work out the exact positioning or width.

Anyone help? I'm stuck!!

• Like 1

Very neat work on the cut out.

Thanks Nigel - I was a bit relieved. I should have done it before I did the sound proofing, but I've ended up thoroughly researching this after I'd already started... never a good way to do things. Fortunately its turned out OK.

She's off to circuit and abs training tonight :-) Its great. Loads of benefits. I get to so the Wokka and I dont live with a fat lass! How good is that? win/win (as they say).

Time for the Wokka Wokka

• Like 1

Looking good! I haven't dropped in for a bit of time otherwise I would have piped up with the sound proofing curtain thingy. You could make it out of aluminium foil and just rub it over the meshing you have, when you flip it you have a good representation of a sound proof blanket that acts like a curtain. See halfway down post 25 for what I mean :D

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991893-definately-a-cormorant-and-not-a-shag-the-yellow-peril-returns/page-2

Cheers now

Bob

Looking good! I haven't dropped in for a bit of time otherwise I would have piped up with the sound proofing curtain thingy. You could make it out of aluminium foil and just rub it over the meshing you have, when you flip it you have a good representation of a sound proof blanket that acts like a curtain. See halfway down post 25 for what I mean :D

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991893-definately-a-cormorant-and-not-a-shag-the-yellow-peril-returns/page-2

Cheers now

Bob

Thanks for that Bob - what an absolutely cracking idea!! it never ceases to amaze me how creative people are!!

I'm leaving the cover off the shelves. Its more clutter and I have a whole bunch of stuff to get dangling from those rails yet, but cheers anyway. I will remember that one for the next Heli. I think I've got the bug now...

Anyway. Granby shelf. I got some much better references on size now I've cut that hatch out.

IMG_9268_zps1h1bm2ms.jpg

IMG_9269_zpssjozlft1.jpg

A bit of emery paper on it and hopefully job done

IMG_9270_zpsuljk9vbg.jpg

More avionics boxes to do...

• Like 2

Well that worked out OK. I was in a real panic about cutting sound proofing, but fortunately it slices really well with a sharp knife. Phew!

Granby Shelf (less kit)

IMG_9271_zpsd9mjurzp.jpg

I'm probably going to put the cargo strap box in this way

IMG_9273_zpscxooymyd.jpg

Minigun to get in and a bloody ladder!! B&Q of course

• Like 6

a tiny minute on the bulkhead and Granby shelf at lunchtime.

IMG_9295_zpsb7fxgqt0.jpg

I should be able to get the curtain rail up on it tonight hopefully. Not a big job but the final piece on construction to do on it then I can turn my attention back to the floor.

Oh. This came today

IMG_9296_zpsuu3wq4zx.jpg

I wonder if there is much of a noticeable difference between 1/32 and 1/35? I suppose the lynx would be a good comparison. I'm guessing its only noticeable when two identical models in the different scales are sat next to each other.

• Like 3

Nice work Si your getting there the attention to the details is well worth it !

I had that Puma kit when it first came out if I remember the glazing was not a good fit , wish someone would do an up to date one in the same scale !

Guy

Looking very nice. Brings back some very fond memories of the real thing.

You'd like a decent 1/32nd Puma Guy?????? I'd settle for one in 1/48th. NEVER been released in this scale at all!!

• Like 2

There was a 1/50 Puma available from Heller once I believe. Like rocking horse do-do now of course and certainly not of the standard we see these days. It's LOOOOONG overdue I'd say.

I've got two of the 1/32 kits and have seen some amazing builds but it'll probably be a fight to get it there!

• Like 1

Nice work Si your getting there the attention to the details is well worth it !

I had that Puma kit when it first came out if I remember the glazing was not a good fit , wish someone would do an up to date one in the same scale !

Guy

Looking very nice. Brings back some very fond memories of the real thing.

You'd like a decent 1/32nd Puma Guy?????? I'd settle for one in 1/48th. NEVER been released in this scale at all!!

Well I've deffo got the Heli bug is all I can say! Lynx or Puma next project? I'll see how I get on with this one! I may be running for cover in the Armour bit of this site if I make a balls of the paint job!

Anyway. As you can see from my high powered bench (her kitchen table, with the infamous red apple table cloth) I have made my curtain rail!

IMG_9297_zps87f8yo68.jpg

and using my spray booth

IMG_9298_zpsrcdzq3y5.jpg

a bit of Halford's finest and some Mr Surface for good measure. I'm having to report to pop bottles now since I've weaned her off gallons of diet coke.

Not sure how much I will get done tonight even though shes at topless netball - a late one tonight. Other bit of bad news is we have to move out after the weekend as a 12 foot diameter hole appeared in the garden a couple of weeks ago. Its about 6 foot deep now. the cesspit collapsed with all the heavy rain. You boys with proper drains. You don't know you are born! 30-35k to fix it. Thank got for buildings and contents insurance is all I can say. He says being about to fall in with the ranks of the uninsurable........................................ so I may be off air for 10 days is the bottom line

Edited by simmerit

Thanks matey. Quite please so far, but plenty of opportunity to screw it up yet!!

On that subject, here's is one post build correction.....

IMG_9302_zpsrerrfdax.jpg

Having looked at this storage box a bit more, I spotted the side is cut out. One minor loss to the carpet monster as well, but easily fixed. Tonight's little step forward

IMG_9301_zpszpxfher1.jpg

one curtain and curtain rail. Woo hoo!! Needs painting obviously, but that will do for me. The bend in it is where its pinned back with a cargo strap. Or at least it will be when I get round to doing them!

The cesspit is a bit of a pisser, but its an insurance job. Hey ho. Thank god we are covered is all I can say or it would have been a case of 'here's the shovel, go dig a pit'. Not sure how the mrs and her kids would cope with that pleasure, but it brings back fond memories of digging a nice big deep square hole about 25 feet in front of a fixed position and having the pleasure of watching who ever got caught short dropping their trousers to the amusement of everyone. When you have got to go, you have got to go.

• Like 5