Landing Gear For Academy 1/72 T-50 Golden Eagle

niki

Hi guys,

I stayed clear of this kit for a good while, mainly because of the missing LG issue.

However, I recently saw some close-up shots of the plastic parts and they really are very nicely detailed. This coupled with the possibility of acquiring the kit at a reasonable price led me to my asking you this:

Is the landing gear on the real thing a 1/1 copy of the F-16 gear? Or are there different dimensions at play?

Has anyone else thought about robbing an F-16 kit of its landing gear and sticking it to the T-50?

Cheers,

Niki

I currently have one built and painted I have robbed the landing gear bays from a Revell F-16A with some additional scratchbuilding. From the photos I've seen the landing gears are identical. Modified MB Mk.16 seats are added to the cockpit and some scratchbuilding in the cockpit. With work its builds into a nice little model.

• Like 1

Tony,

Thanks a lot for your input!

I was thinking about dismantling an Academy F-16 which will have to donate it's pylons anyway to a Tamiya 'no weapons'-fellow. I am really glad to hear that there is enough space in the T-50 kit to accommodate the F-16 parts.

Thanks again,

Niki

P.S.: do you perhaps care to share a couple of pics showing the work you've done? Have you augmented the kit's seats or have you used something else?

Hi

A few quick photos attached, still very much a work in progress, in hindsight I wish I had thinned down the fuselage walls, the detail is not 100% correct for the T-50 but good enough for me

WP_20151126_017_zpsrpkt3clv.jpgWP_20151126_020_zpsvm0e9sbf.jpgWP_20151126_019_zpsnb364dqf.jpgWP_20151126_018_zpsosimxyen.jpg

The seats are Pavla MB Mk.16s

Tony

• Like 1

I've been studying photos and the main gear doors are different to an F-16's, the angled corner on an F-16 door is shallower and longer, I suspect a YF-16 main gear door can be modified from the Hasegawa kit, will confirm over weekend. I'm enjoying the challenge of turning a toy into a good looking model.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been busy building one too, but it isn't as far along as Tony's - I didn't use the gear bay like him, I scratch built mine similar to the Hasegawa F-16 bay which is a very much simplified job . I made use of the main legs though but scratched the secondary ones, I had to find some spare wheels from the spares box as the F-16 s were too big . and I also utilised the gear doors from the T-50 after some extensive thinning. I still have some small bits to finish off before sorting out the markings, (Gear door detailing and fixing, Seats and seat belts etc) - but it's coming along nicely and will be a great addition to the collection, even if some people dismissed it as 'more a toy than a kit'!!

A few pics : -

th_P1010180.jpg th_P1010183.jpg th_P1010175.jpg

th_P1010190.jpg th_P1010184.jpg

Hope you like them.

Tony R

Edited by TonyR
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Niki :) - I didn't actually measure the wheels, it was done by eye, (they just looked right!) - but comparing them again just now, I would say 1mm would be about right.

Although the T-50 was designed and built in co-operation with Lockheed Martin and the Korean Aerospace Industries, and is very similar to the F-16 in looks, it is slightly smaller overall, so that 1mm seemed to make all the difference - (one case of size does matter :D)

Tony R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Niki

Just finished mine now and it's in the cabinet among my others - I have to admit it turned out quite well and now it has all the markings done, I think it was well worth the effort - I've posted a couple of pics . perhaps you might like to get another one in your stash in case the fancy takes you again! :D

P1010206.jpg

P1010193.jpg

Take care mate . Let me know how you get on with yours.

Tony R

Edited by TonyR
  • Like 1

Congratulations, Tony!

For now, you're most likely the proud owner of a unique item in that scheme and scale. Are the decals home made or purchased?

Thanks for sharing your build here! It definitely makes me want to get on with my first one. Will post it here when done.

Cheers,

Niki

Note to myself: possibly need a fourth kit added to the stash :doh:

Hi Niki,

Thanks for the reply, and you're right, I think I'm very lucky to be able to add a 1/72 scale 'Black Eagle' in my collection considering Academy only make it in 1/48 - I was going to have to rely on my limited skill and make the markings, until I found a very good supplier in Australia that turns out limited edition, short run, laser printed ones, and as you can see they're the absolute dogs!! - unusual (they are printed 'in reverse'!) - but very effective.

Next project is the RSAF 'Black Knights' F-16 in the 2014 scheme - Should be fun!! lol :D

Link for the fourth kits markings!! -- DEK-LS-HOBBY?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 :D

• Like 1