Hobbyboss P-61 Black Widow

This is a monster kit. Absolutely huge. I thought I'd do a really weather-beaten bird in OD. I spent hours fading various panels only to spray the beast with Humbrol matt varnish from a can and see it frost before my eyes. I'll probably respray with Future and then a semi-gloss finish. Hopefully he detail will come through. I must get a grip of my camera as these shots are pretty awful.

IMG_1069_zpsk4jmpywz.jpgIMG_1068_zpsv9ydhnxy.jpgIMG_1067_zpswmsv76mk.jpgIMG_1065_zpsegxzhkgx.jpgIMG_1064_zpsmkktueap.jpgIMG_1063_zpsbobruvzb.jpgIMG_1062_zpsjzff7y11.jpgIMG_1061_zpsqfse7s1t.jpgIMG_1060_zpsxya8zqdb.jpgIMG_1056_zpso6hcdd3h.jpgIMG_1055_zpspopubjl5.jpg

• Like 20

I like it! Good job! Was this an OOB build, any aftermarket parts? I'm building one myself, OD just like yours. Well at least 1 tiny test panel is in OD now :P If it turns out as good as this one I'll be really happy!

I like it! Good job! Was this an OOB build, any aftermarket parts? I'm building one myself, OD just like yours. Well at least 1 tiny test panel is in OD now :P If it turns out as good as this one I'll be really happy!

Yes all OOB. I was tempted to buy some decals that were particular to an actual OD aircraft but this isn't going into a competition. I build just for me. If it looks like its meant to then its good for me. All the pint used is Humbrol. I used to use acrylic but I've found enamel easier to work with. I built and painted it in sections, fuselage, wings, booms and tailplane. Then fitted together with some tidying up of joints. Hope you have enough space on the bench.

Yup with pigsty on this one. They're roll spoilers and not an airbrake type spoiler. Should technically speaking be one up one down.

Well there you go. I've learnt something new today. There is no option to have these in their stowed position which to me is a mistake on the part of HB. Should have filled them in with card as they spoil the look deployed.

Well there you go. I've learnt something new today. There is no option to have these in their stowed position which to me is a mistake on the part of HB. Should have filled them in with card as they spoil the look deployed.

Well luckily for us they made the plastic in the wing slots really thin so it's very easy to cut out!

Lovely! I've got a black one. If you're looking for a display case that it will fit in, have a search in Chat for Custom Display Cases... It was assembly of one of these behemoths that set me off on a trail for a good way to keep the dust off.

Mike

This looks like a great model, and to be honest the frosting is not really apparent on the photos...

So no panic!

Just a question: despite the previous comments about the spoilers, are they really supposed to open that way? I thought the convex side should have been looking forward...

Great and impressive build!

JR

The spoilers fit over curved sections, and there isn't any obvious way to get them wrong! I suppose aerodynamically they are trying to disrupt the airflow, and effectively presenting a 'cup' into the flow would certainly do that.

I wonder why Jack Northrop didn't just use conventional ailerons.

It probably has something to do with the trailing edge space available. The wanted to create a night fighter so it had to be agile. They just made the aircraft the size of a bomber rather than that of a fighter. Also they would want it to take of and land in as short a distance as possible so they needed really rather big flaps. This would in turn, combined with the twin boom design leave very little room for conventional ailerons. So if you think of it this way, and if you want the aircraft to have the manoeuvrability of a figter, the spoilerons are actually a very smart solution.

• 2 weeks later...