Tamiya Il-2 Shturmovik 1/48

NorLars

I'm still pretty new to scale modeling. Well, that's sort of a lie. I built a lot of them as a kid. But as an adult I've only been doing this since June. This will therefor maybe not be the most incredible looking build you'll see this year.

But, hey, it's about the process, not the result, right?

On top of that I'm painting by hand and not using airbrush. My painting skills are not the greatest since I've been blessed with the gift of arthritis.

That's enough with the excuses. Now to the build. I picked up this gem at a local store.

1-HN-Ac-Tamiya-IL2-Shturmovik-1.48.jpg

I was originally planning to do a Spitfire build, but they were out. They're getting new stock next week, but I had to have my fix right away.

Looking through the box it seems like a very good print, and I'm certainly looking forward to this project. For now there's not much to post. Just starting doing the cockpit. Pictures will be posted as soon as I have something interesting done.

Please be kind to me. It's my first WIP.

• Like 5

So I was doing the instrument panel and this happened:

4JGzBWv.jpg

I will never understand how people manage to apply the decals on the panels without f-ing up.

Decided I could live with it. Gonna be a closed canopy anyway.

Instructions say Tamiya Xf-22 for the panel. Since my local store don't have Tamiya colours I went with Vallejo 830. According to this chart that would be about the same. For the blacks I have used Humbrol 85. One of the blacks should have been Humbrol 33 according to the chart, but whatever... Close enough for government work.

One thing about the instrument panel is that it should be a very light grey. That was standard on Great Patriotic War aircraft. It certainly was on the Shturmovik. The rest of the cockpit should be in a medium neutral grey. And I do mean neutral, not greenish or bluish-tinted as you will sometimes see on models. I've examined actual fragments of A-14 Steel Grey (the interior colour), and even taking into account the passage of the decades, the colour is a dead-neutral grey, just black and white, with no other tints or hues evident.

Regards,

Jason

There was a war so they ran out of the correct colour (AKA I'm not doing it again.)

The carpet monster just ate a decal for the left side control panel (the one next to the pilot) so I just painted those dials black.

Good news though. I found a part that was MIA on the FW 190 i did a couple of builds ago.

• Like 1

There's been quite a lot of progress, but due to my Internet being FUBAR I haven't been able to upload pictures yet. Hopefully I'll be able to do so tommorow.

I've put together the cockpit, joined the to halves of the body and just finished putting on the wings.

Pictures to come.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, this is turning out to be the build from hell. No pics incomming because mye fiancé formated the SD-card without know I hadn't upload the pics to my PC yet.

Then mye niece came visiting. While we adults was in another room she proceeded to "help" me paint it. It was colourful, I'll give her that. But totally wrong colours. After she painted it she appearently thought: "Hmm. This is a plane. Let's make it fly!" and proceeded to "fly" it down the stairs. Currently sanding and trying my best to repair the damage done. I might still salvage it, but it wont be pretty.

But keep the IL-2 and use it to play with, practice rattle can spraying if you have no airbrush, cutting lumps out, using filler and rubbing down, get some Decal Fix and have a play, practice weathering, that type of thing.

• Like 1