Winter Camo

One thing about winter camouflages, at least with the Soviets (and no doubt with the Luftwaffe), is that it varied tremendously. I've seen the white schemes that were applied very finely with an airbrush at the factory, and some schemes that where as roughly applied with a brush as what you have here. I'd give you a 'this always works for me', but frankly it varies with the scheme. Sometimes I've applied it with an airbrush like they did in real life, then painted bits of the camouflage showing through to show weathering, but sometimes I've applied it roughly with a brush, in a patchy sort of paint work, over the normal, or 'summer' camouflage. Always go off of photographs when you can, is one bit of advice I can give. And of course test out various methods on an old model, that's one thing I do. As with anything, practice your technique. I'm sure someone will come along with more/better advice, but that's what I have. Good luck!

Regards,

Jason

Nice job. One (possible) point for future reference. These sort of colours often went on very roughly at unit level in the field, and were often applied over the markings - not always obscuring them, but not infrequently making them look pretty untidy!

Sorry to read that you are not entirely happy with this build. Maybe you could perhaps try adding white weathering powder solution over the paintwork, a bit at a time until you get the look you were originally hoping for. I don't normally build Eastern Front models but I have two or three in my stash that I have been thinking of building using white weathering powder over standard camouflage.

Edited by old thumper