Hobby Boss Martlet III, 805 Sqn FAA, 1/72 scale

I'm calling this done. The Hobby Boss F4F3 is a bit of an oddity: the F4F3 is supposed to have fixed wings and a four gun armament, but the kit has neither. Filling and re-scribing deals with these issues fairly easily. The biggest problem is that the panel lines don't match up (or didn't for me) on the upper and lower fuselage sections. This was a lot more work to remediate.

805cat_29_zpsvj1f1obx.jpg

I built a new cockpit, altered the nose and cowling, added intercooler inlets, brake pipes and exhausts and re-jigged the cooling flaps on the rear of the cowling. The tailwheel is a larger diameter version (for land use) and the aerial wire is EZ-Line.

805cat_30_zpstmmsliqs.jpg

The colours are open to debate. These aircraft were originally ordered by the Greek government, but were taken over by the British after the fall of Greece. With fixed wings, they weren't really suitable for carrier work and so were operated as land-based fighters by the Fleet Air Arm. The aircraft were delivered in USN Light Gray all over, but there is some evidence that they later received a coat of Middle Stone on the upper surfaces. The evidence isn't unequivocal, but it's good enough for me. Colours are mixed by me using Tamiya acrylics and decals are from Xtradecal (roundels) and home-printed (all the rest).

805cat_31_zpswywpmirz.jpg

These aircraft flew from forward operating locations in the desert, where conditions would have been extraordinarily harsh for both them and all of the crews involved. I've never known a Tar who didn't like things clean, neat and "tiddly", but in a place where getting enough water to keep the men alive was a struggle, I don't think too much washing of airframes would have taken place.

805cat_32_zpsb9cyivys.jpg

The projecting wing guns are hypodermic tube, and the pitot (different to most Martlets) is stretched sprue.

805cat_33_zpsg9fg3mie.jpg

This aircraft is intended to have just returned from a fighting mission. Hence, the dirt, smoke and scratches.

805cat_34_zpsrw9nfdsv.jpg

These fighters would have been a nasty handful for the Regia Aeronautica, had the Greeks got hold of them. The Italians were roughly handled by the Greeks using obsolete PZL 24s and second-hand Gladiators. Even though the Greeks couldn't make use of them, the Fleet Air Arm were able to get good service out these aircraft, and provided valuable fighter strength in the desert war.

805cat_35_zps1ug2n5ab.jpg

• Like 24

Whats the underside colour? I thought it was azure blue but your pictures it seems several shades lighter.Very nice build and great incentive as I've just ordered Xtradecals Yanks with roundels parts one and two,Know where are those cats in the stash

Frankie, it's US Navy Non-specular Light Gray (close but not identical to post-war Light Gull Gray). This was the original overall colour the aircraft were delivered in.

• Like 1

Mitch, if you want a more accurate model (and I presume you do, if you made all the other amends) on F4F-3 (therefore on early Martlets also), there should be and extra framing on windshield sides. Check photos. It's a very easy fix...

Might even paint that in! Thanks.

Impressive beauty. the finish, the weathering all look excellent. I love the base too.

Jay

Cheers Jay! The backdrop is a sheet of Wedgewood blue mount card. The base isn't my usual airfield/concrete runway one - it's a sheet of MDF covered with red building sand, scraped out to give the impression of a dirt runway with dirt heaps!