What do you think of "snap fit"?

ShaneS

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where to put it. If it's not suitable for this subforum, could someone please move it?

We were at a convention last weekend, selling our kits and a chap comes up to us and says "These are all snap-fit, are they"? When told that they were, a look of utter disgust crossed his face and he said it wasn't what he was looking for, he wanted, in his words, "something that wasn't like a toy". The Maschinen Kreiger kits were much more to his liking.

So my question is, what do you think of "snap-fit" kits? What does that mean to you? Would it put you off buying or building a kit?

Depends what it's a model of to some.

If a 'normal' kit isn't available and the snap fit

is of sufficient quality then it should sell well.

In other cases though, a good snap fit may be

cheaper than the normal kit so again may sell well.

For me, a half decent well priced snap fit that I can

detail up would be tempting.

Maschinen kreiger kits are also to my liking.

But, for example, the Bandai Star Wars kits - and pretty much all Bandai kits - are snap fit, but they're a complete world away from the Revell kits, which are also "snap fit".

Edited by ShaneS

The important thing is not whether it's snap-fit or glue, but does the kit make up into a decent model? If it does that, i don't give a rusty half-credit piece (© I Asimov :winkgrin:) one way or the other. The only reservation I have about snap-fit kits is that, because they're are usually intended for younger modellers and/or are made to be low-cost, they're more likely to be distorted to simplify moulding, include toy features like firing missiles, or be sized to fit the box rather than to any sort of scale. Doesn't mean that every snap-fit kit has any or all of these problems, but there are plenty that have in the past, and SF models seem particularly prone to that due to the "spaceships are for kids" marketing mindset. Show me a snap-fit kit that is also a good model of its subject and I'll be very interested.

• Like 2

I've never made one or even seen one in the flesh but I must admit, rightly or most probably wrongly that I have always regarded them as toy like.

edit: or maybe I should say I've regarded the concept of them as to like

I think you answered your own question in your second post Shane, the Bandai kits are by far and away better than anything else out there as far as snap-fix goes. I think it is down to the engineering of the kit Bandai's is incredible, Revell and others not so.

• Like 1

I think you answered your own question in your second post Shane, the Bandai kits are by far and away better than anything else out there as far as snap-fix goes. I think it is down to the engineering of the kit Bandai's is incredible, Revell and others not so.

Agreed - not even other Japanese companies can compare with Bandai's models, but what I'm trying to understand is people's perceptions when they hear the term snap-fit, and how best to overcome that negative perception.

I'm in agreement. The moment you mention snap-fit a lot of people glaze over, expecting the kind of toy-like qualities of a Revell Easy Kit (Don't get me wrong, they're great for what they are). I think that if people that haven't tried one of these so-called "snap-fit" works of art, they should. They will not be disappointed, as the sheer injection-moulded wizardry that is displayed in some of the kits defies belief sometimes.

I thought the Bandai Star Wars kits were good and innovative by having multiple colours of styrene (and flexible parts) on one sprue, but when I received my first Gundam - a Real-Grade (RG) Zaku II in 1:144, I was amazed that the skeleton parts were actually co-moulded to form one part on the sprue, but when released from the sprue that same part became a working arm or leg, complete with moving joints and ball-sockets, and all in a piece that is around 5cm long. My gob was well and truly smacked that day. I think we've been so used to standard injection moulding of one colour in one shot, to the extent that we're still amazed by slide-moulded parts (they are cool though), when we don't even know how far ahead the Japanese companies have gone in pushing the limits of injection moulding. Absolutely staggering... I just wish I had the time to build the kit now! :doh:

Bandai kits ain't for kids. They're grown-up toys ^_^

• Like 5

I agree with much said here.

I know this is in 'Science Fiction' but Airfix converted some kits to ''Snap 'n' Glue'' eg the Spitfire Mk.1 of 1978-ish era; its still a good kit, also the Spectrum Interceptor, still a nice kit. Snap for the kinder, or a quick build, glue for the adults.

I don't remember seeing anywhere that Bandai market their kits as snap-fix, you could argue that they are just well engineered, well actually very, very well engineered!

You will always get those that won't touch a "snap-fix" kit with a barge pole, but if you want an idea of what you can do with a "snap-fix" kit have a look at Madhatter's Yamato 2099!

I think "press fit" might be more appropriate for the Bandai and Kotobukiya kits. There's are tools you can buy which helps helps you to pry apart assembled pieces (I have one made by Wave) so for those kits, I think it's just the way they go together. I don't think many a parent would spend $50 or more that some of these kits cost for their kid to have at it simply because they is no glue required.

As Warren mentioned, the Bandai 1/500 Yamato is a stunning kit and as much as I love my boys, they're not going to be the ones that build it.

With regards to actual snap fit kits, the Revell 1/25 Dodge Viper was only released as a snap fit kit but was considerably more detailed and accurate compared to the glue version released by AMT at the same time. I've built a couple and you wouldn't know that it was a snap kit. I think it just comes down to the execution and design of the kit.

Carl

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where to put it. If it's not suitable for this subforum, could someone please move it?

We were at a convention last weekend, selling our kits and a chap comes up to us and says "These are all snap-fit, are they"? When told that they were, a look of utter disgust crossed his face and he said it wasn't what he was looking for, he wanted, in his words, "something that wasn't like a toy". The Maschinen Kreiger kits were much more to his liking.

So my question is, what do you think of "snap-fit" kits? What does that mean to you? Would it put you off buying or building a kit?

I think what's happened here is some people don't realise the latest "snap-fit" are different. He probably thought of the old Revell kits and assumed every snap-fit will be the same. I've seen reviews of Academy and Bandai kits with the conclusion they are quite excellent quality.

Edited by Knight_Flyer

Snap fit has many negative connotations in the eyes of most modellers.

The best way to disprove it is to show them a Bandai kit and how it goes together. My first experience was a non-grade Astray Red frame, hardly state of the art, but even then one of the most enjoyable models I've built. The recent X-wing smacked my gob even further (especially when it crumbled in the face of turps - but that's another story :doh: ) I think the beauty of Bandai's approach isn't just the ease of assembly but the colour separation, which make painting (almost) without masking an absolute doddle.

The haters are missing out - big time.

Steve.

The only snap-fit kit I've built is the Polar Lights 1/1000 USS Enterprise 1701 refit, and I had as much enjoyment putting it together as any model that requires glue; it was not a 'kid's kit' by any means. Basically you have the option of going the snap-fit route, or otherwise clipping the barbed pegs off so you can dry-fit prior to glueing; it was also supplied unpainted. I went and bought another for the stash as soon as it was complete - highly recommended for Trek fans.

Ross.

So let me get this right... Dude walks up to you Shane, looks disgusted when told the Bandai kits are snap fit (push fit), and calls them toys?? What a moron... I bet if he was to explain his hobby to someone else, they'd say he was playing with toys too. I've been making Gundams on-off for 20 years now... I feel freaking old... :( and at no point did I think of them as snap fit. Clever buggers these chaps at Bandai are. ;) some people are just stuck in their ways... They are never wrong.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

He doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the box tbh. Or too ignorant to even consider they could be good kits (which they are). Some of the new Airfix kits are like snap-fit and I'm sure there are Zveda 1/72 snap-fit kits of a high standard too, wonder where he stood with them? I wouldn't worry about it, you're with friends here Shane. :)

I have heard of the "old style" glue together Gunpla, never actually seen one tho. They had some interesting kits, a mine laying Zaku comes to mind actually..

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I recently picked up a Zvezda 1/72 FW190 snap fit kit for the 6 year old at home and

when I saw what a nice kit it is (snap fit or not) I went and picked you another one for myself.

If a kit is a good kit of a type that I am interested in it makes no difference to me if it is a

push/snap fit kit or if it is of more traditional fare.

Any one who turns their nose up at a kit purely because it does not fit in with their

expectations is only showing how ill-informed and narrow minded they are!! :mental: