Another F-5/T-38 Group Build group build?

gingerbob

Alright all, I still am not absolutely convinced about my goals here, and it may be something of a movable feast. I should also point out that I'm going to be frightfully busy until Christmas. A retail job isn't bad except when you actually have to work :winkgrin:

The leading contenders at present are:

A) Wolfpack T-38A, probably in NASA markings (thus far this is the kit that I think gets it most right, of which more later)

B ) Kinetic F-5B, possibly in home-grown Turkish Stars markings, as done here (such a sexy airframe seems to deserve better than your usual fatigues...)

I seem to like the curvy, dolphiny two-seaters better than the "dart" shape of the single-seaters, and anyway, if you're going to fly one of the all time great "aerial sports cars" wouldn't you want to be able to bring that special someone?

C) Nevertheless, it does occur to me that if I'm going to do the Kinetic B, I might as well do the A alongside (another Turkish Star, or?), so that's a possibility, especially if I

D) Hope to end up with some spare parts with which to tart up the ancient Fujimi F-5B- not that I would try to make it pass for a state of the art kit, but rather just have some fun and see what I can do with it. Or use it as the "test mule" before I get in my own way with one of the "good" kits!

Potential party-crashers are Monogram F-5E or F-20, and AFV Club F-5F, while a Trumpeter T-38A might appear too, if only as a sacrifice to the modelling gods.

Next up will probably be some "this compared to that" stuff, just because I enjoy this sort of exercise. And then I suppose there'll be nothing for it but to start slathering grey and black paint on the stuff what goes inside...

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 3

Arrr Bob! Very nice of you to show up if a little late.

You have certainly left your options open, now a NASA one would look really nice!

A word of warning/advice, the Kinetic/Wolfpack models, while they are nice models there are some build issues with them. If you have an older release/moulding then you'll find the mouldings aren't crisp and clean, plus there is a bit of flash present. Plus don't expect knife edge leading or trailing edges (even blunt knife sharp), more like very flat edges! And finally as these models are modular base to account for the different versions, the fit in some places leaves a bit to be desired!!

But still it's a nice model, it'll just take a little bit more work than you'd have expected.

Now I've scared you, good luck with the build :D, and look forward to your musings as you build.

D) Hope to end up with some spare parts with which to tart up the ancient Fujimi F-5B- not that I would try to make it pass for a state of the art kit, but rather just have some fun and see what I can do with it. Or use it as the "test mule" before I get in my own way with one of the "good" kits!

bob

How about an abandoned Turkish Air Force F-5B, with a very weathered 'look'? That would be interesting!!!

I ain't scared of nothin'! (Except paint that doesn't nicely cover when brushed out.) I saw your comments on your build, Rich, and have already done some test-fitting. Not click-together, but it doesn't seem too bad so far. I wonder about the nose to aft fuselage- that'll take some careful attention. I haven't had a really careful look at the edges, but they don't seem as blunt as you found- perhaps mine are earlier runs through the tooling (they are Kinetic label).

The panel lines are definitely not as refined as on the Wolfpack T-38, but I think once painted it'll look fine.

bob

p.s. Who said anything about just doing two? :hobbyhorse:

p.p.s. Shalako, that's an interesting idea, but you can add "weathering" to the list of things I'm scared of! It would be a good thing to experiment on, though...

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

I ain't scared of nothin'! (Except paint that doesn't nicely cover when brushed out.) I saw your comments on your build, Rich, and have already done some test-fitting. Not click-together, but it doesn't seem too bad so far. I wonder about the nose to aft fuselage- that'll take some careful attention. I haven't had a really careful look at the edges, but they don't seem as blunt as you found- perhaps mine are earlier runs through the tooling (they are Kinetic label).

The panel lines are definitely not as refined as on the Wolfpack T-38, but I think once painted it'll look fine.

bob

p.s. Who said anything about just doing two? :hobbyhorse:

p.p.s. Shalako, that's an interesting idea, but you can add "weathering" to the list of things I'm scared of! It would be a good thing to experiment on, though...

They sound very interesting Bob and I look forward to your progress

As Rich said the Kinetic/Wolfpack aint pretty, I would rather tackle the weathering option. I am finding issues with it (but that may be more to do with my inexperience causing problems). I am sure you will put us amateurs to shame

This sounds like a very interesting project, will watch with interest !

BTW, I agree with your preference for the 2-seaters, they look even better than the single seater. Thinking about it, the T-38 is stilll IMHO the best looking of this family of very good looking aircrafts.

Ideas for users ? Too many to list, one of my favourite (and one that I'll build sooner or later) is the Botswana Air Force that use a number of ex Canadian aircrafts (both single and two-seaters). I don't know of any decal available but they don't seem to difficult to make with a printer and some masking

All you need is some good reference-photos and a lot of patience and I'm sure you can do it!!!

Cheers

Shalako

Edited by Shalako

This sounds like a very interesting project, will watch with interest !

BTW, I agree with your preference for the 2-seaters, they look even better than the single seater. Thinking about it, the T-38 is stilll IMHO the best looking of this family of very good looking aircrafts.

Ideas for users ? Too many to list, one of my favourite (and one that I'll build sooner or later) is the Botswana Air Force that use a number of ex Canadian aircrafts (both single and two-seaters). I don't know of any decal available but they don't seem to difficult to make with a printer and some masking

HI Giorgio,

Aztec to a sheet for F-5's which has markings for Botswanan aircraft on it (both single and twin seat), as well as markings for Venezuela, Vietnam, Iran and the Philippines. I believe Hannants have them in stock (other model shops are available!).

Craig.

• Like 1

Well, I spent some time yesterday further studying the various kits, and got the F-5A kit out too. That single-seater sure has a simple cockpit, which makes me suddenly more enthusiastic for that one :thumbsup:

I think I'll save the comparative shots for later- what I have in mind will be easy to do once the basic airframes are assembled- so there should be a massive grey-painting party looming. There's also a "build night" in my local club tomorrow night, so if I plan it right (and attend) I should have plenty of things to glue together!

It has been said already, but those intakes sure are small! I can't imagine you 1/72 builders. I haven't resorted to the magnifying desk lamp yet for these, but I can tell I'll be spending plenty of time with it soon.

bob

"You know, grey is my favorite color-

I felt so symbolic yesterday

If I knew Picasso,

I would buy myself a grey guitar and play."

• Like 1

Somebody commented on a warped fin, as I recall. I just discovered that the "fuller" half of my Kinetic A kit's fin is warped. Hopefully some warm/hot water will convince it to cooperate. The B's fin seems fine.

Putting in some of those inserts, and sorting the other parts where you have to choose according to subject. Then I'll be trying to get fronts and backs together.

bob

Hi Bob

My fin on the B was slightly out but not as bad as the underside piece of fuselage that joins the wings to front half. Was going to join it up last night but I need to "bend" it back into shape.

Simon

Well, THAT experiment failed. I clamped the victim to a wooden spatula and poured hot water over it. Perhaps if I'd stopped when I first had the thought to see what had happened... but no, I had to give it more for good measure. Oh Trumpeter T-38, I've got a very important job for you! :evil_laugh: Or perhaps I'll come up with another source/fix.

As far as I've noticed, that's the only significant warp on my two kits (I hope). I tried to just "unbend" it by hand, but that didn't do it. So, I guess I'll have to get a bit o' tail...

Well, not much accomplished, but I experimented with Kinetic front and back fuselage parts- A and B fronts, and two sets of back ends. The A fit pretty well, as did the starboard side of the B, but the port B half needed the bottom edge (short section of the intake "shoulder") shaved down a bit. In other words, the seat that nestles inside of the back fuselage- it wasn't deep enough and so caused a fit problem.

I think I've got a plan to fix my messed up vertical- the Fujimi fin will be spliced in.

Now back to Cyber Monday work!

bob

Well, first attempt to put up a photo resulted in having to shut the silly thing down and start over. Here's my first unusual photo, from the 27th:

DSCN4849_zps0febhpkv.jpg

as you can see, I was trying to be (or having to be?) out amongst the other household activities. That's a just-polished-off piece of pumpkin pie, BTW. (Sadly, both pies are now gone.)

I don't have anything much to show yet, and hope that this will convince the doubters that I am, indeed, starting from the beginning. I really don't see the point of posting sprue shots and box pictures when other people are building the same kits. My lack of progress will convince any other skeptics that I'm not starting with an almost done kit!

Got the day off today, so hopefully will get some grey slathered on cockpit bits and maybe dock that tail.

bob

p.s. Max, are you joining in?

• Like 1

You know Bob a clean bench is a sign of a person who has way too much time on their hands that could better be spent modelling!

Those Kinetic/Wolfpack models will give you hours of fun!!

As much as pumpkin pie sounds nice....it's not something that really grabbed me!

No Bob I'm not, I don't do jet-type things, I don't even know what an F5 is or looks like! I know, you're going to say a Meteor in the STGB is a jet, but it was WWII and that's my era. I'd probably do a Vampire if push came to shove but anything more modern leaves me cold modelling wise, sorry. :(

Max

• 2 weeks later...

Well, day off today, and I finally overcame the blahs to begin tackling the tail transplant. (pictures later) I still need to attack cockpit stuff, but there was such a profusion of kit boxes and bits I frankly got a bit overwhelmed! I made life harder for myself by deciding to keep the "other half" from the Kinetic kit, rather than just cut it all off and put on the Fujimi fin. Thus, I need to thin down the solid Fujimi fin, which is a tedious process. Most of the way there...

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Well, yesterday I dealt with the overwhelmingness a bit by taking the Kinetic A and B kits and (mostly) removing any of the parts/empty sprue that would be superfluous. I'm planning to do Turkish Stars birds (though I suppose plan could theoretically still change) so no pylons or other tanks besides the tip tanks. I also looked at the tip tank issue, and think I might make a copy of the B's inboard half (which seemed a tight fit compared to the other side), possibly with a "built in" shim of styrene to thicken it up. I might then mate that to the outer half from the A tank (maybe it would make more sense to copy a complete tank). I looked at the Fujimi tanks, but they are a wee bit short and probably wouldn't fit the Kinetic wingtip well without additional surgery.

For some reason I've focused primarily on the Kinetics so far, though the Wolfpack T-38 and AFV Club F-5F are also players. But, still, hardly anything worthy of calling "model building".

bob

p.s. Also, I noticed that the Turkish Stars aircraft have clear tips on their tip tanks, rather than red/green, I guess for a little extra "sparkle" during their routine.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1