Twas the Nightfighter Before Christmas

And all through the skies,

Not a creature was stirring not even the flies.

The ammo was stacked by the cannons with care,

In hope that the Englanders soon would be there.

Hey all

After my brief bout of insanity, during which I constructed a car model (see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991043-deuces-wild/) I have returned to the side of light and reason with yet another aircraft :winkgrin:

Today I present Revell's 1/48 Bf 110G-4 finished as the example flown by Obst. Hans-Joachim Jabs of NJG 1 in the spring of 1945. Enjoy...

22896844389_887cd84efe_c.jpg

22896876239_605d247372_c.jpg

22636387674_dbfbeb69c9_c.jpg

22636382354_c1a32bbe68_c.jpg

22968964710_afd73dec77_c.jpg

23264798155_e9c88c4304_c.jpg

23238674066_065bb64c64_c.jpg

22636333474_0d9f14a767_c.jpg

22896809979_7900b24841_c.jpg

So the Revell/Promodeller Bf 110 gets a lot of criticism for supposedly inaccurate engine nacelles... I don't know about you but it still looks like a Bf 110 to me, so it can't be that bad. :shrug:

The kit went together quite well, with some, but not terrible seams to clean up, mostly at the unusual wing to fuselage join. The prop hubs required the most work as they were slightly mis-molded (is that a word?). This required plastic sheet and putty to fix. The cockpit is second to none and only requires careful painting and some harnesses. The radar array was scratch built, as the kit arrays are attached directly to the sides of the nose, whereas Jabs' plane carried the antennas as depicted.

All markings were masked and painted with use of a Montex masking set which also supplied masks for the canopy. The camouflage was done freehand with custom mixed Tamiya colours adapted from those used by J.M. Villalba in his RLM Painting DVD, for the RLM 75 and 76. The exhausts were painted with Dark Iron lightly misted with Vallejo Rust and slathered with dark wash.

Just realized I forgot to install the rear machine gun before pictures... it's err.. out for maintenance. Yeah, that's believable :banghead:

Regards

Edited by ANovaScotian
  • Like 47

That is very, very nice!

Wow, that paint job is phenominal. Love the look of this thing, an excellent build.

Even without the superb build, this was worth a like and a comment for the poem! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Guys.

The camo started out as random spots, which looked okay, but not quite right. I then quite literally played "connect the dots" and came out with what you see. My new-found secret to using Tamiya acrylics is to thin them out with Tamiya's own Lacquer Thinner... seriously try it out for yourself.

As for the poem... it just came to me, what can I say :winkgrin:

Edited by ANovaScotian
  • Like 1

Perhaps the finest display of antennae that I have ever seen.

Don't look too closely! The antenna array is all scratched out of styrene. This makes it a little less delicate than metal antennas, however, metal antennas can be bent back in position when bumped by the clumsy oaf building them.

Lovely work, I really like that.

I recently completed the Eduard 1/72 version and fitting the radar antenna to the nose was a real pain as they expect the stag horns to butt join to the fuselage, i guess the 1/48 kit is the same?

Duncan B

Without haveing seen photos of the original machine I can't comment on authenticity, but she does look very convincing indeed!

No schräge Musik, though?

Impressive work.

Kind regards,

Joachim

The colour profiles I've seen of this aircraft do show schrage musik, however, test fitting showed that the guns didn't want to line up with the holes in the alternate canopy. Sacrificing authenticity for simplicity, I said hell with it and just left them out.

Lovely work, I really like that.

I recently completed the Eduard 1/72 version and fitting the radar antenna to the nose was a real pain as they expect the stag horns to butt join to the fuselage, i guess the 1/48 kit is the same?

Duncan B

Out of the box the Revell kit is set up the same way

Edited by ANovaScotian
  • Like 1