Star Wars - The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon - 1:72 Revell Easy Kit

Julien

Star Wars - The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon
1:72 Revell Easy Kit

box.JPG

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts. If you have not heard of the Millennium Falcon by now, then where have you been since 1977! Central to the plot in the Earlier films it would seem the Millennium Falcon has been brought back for the latest film with the rather tantalising glimpse in the trailer of Han and Chewie returning "home".

The Kit
Here Revell have re-boxed their earlier kit with a new sprue for the updated parts, and some rather fake looking effects pre-painted on the hull. The kit arrives with the main hull on two large sprues, three other sprues (including the new one) and two clear sprues. The clear sprue for the rear exhaust area has been sprayed blue on one side, some of the overspray from the process has covered the front side and could do with being cleaned off.

sp1.JPG

sp2.JPG

Construction begins with the cockpit pod. Here the sides have been coloured straight matt black, unlike the earlier release which had the seats a different colour. The cockpit and rear bulkhead are fitted into the lower pod half. Next up construction moves to the landing gear. If the gear is going to be up then these don't need to be built (though the instructions only tell you this later!)

sp3.JPG

Next to be built up is the is part of the internal ramp and the new radar scanner for the top. Moving to the underside of the craft the ramp is mounted as are the lower guns. The landing gear, or the covers if building gear up can then be added. The Internal ramp parts are then added along with the lower turret glazing. Next all the side components are added into the lower hull. Most of these just slot into place, though the instructions have you taping some of them in place to hold them in which seems a bit Heath Robinson (Rube Goldberg for our US readers!). The last part to be added is the lower cockpit pod.

sp4.JPG

With the lower hull parts sorted it is time to move to the top hull. The top turret guns and glazing are added along with the top of the cockpit pod. The radar unit can be added now as well. Finally the two halves of the hull can be joined to complete the model.

sp5.JPG

sp6.JPG

Conclusion
Sadly Revell have rather ruined the look of the kit with their colouring of the parts, this could be fixed by painting it. Recommended only if you understand what you're getting in the box.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif t_logo-a.png facebook.gif

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To be fair to Revell I suppose the person or persons painting them are on a production line and don't get unlimited time to get the perfect finish like we as modellers try for.

For the market it's aimed at I would think it gives the chance of a finished looking kit without the hassle of painting, but then again for the market it's aimed at it's not a cheap kit to start with

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 27/04/2016 at 9:59 PM, PhantomMajor said:

Picked up mine for £41

I'm just wondering how screen accurate it is?

Screen accurate is a bit of a tricky one, as prior to CGI there were various sizes which varied in detail. With this kit, however, the sidewalls are too tall, especially compared to the Finemolds/Revell masterclass(?) version. I'd say it's a more accurate version than the old AMT/ERTL one.

• 4 months later...

Hi, garynumanfan. 

Looking at your comment about the Modelzone sections in some WH Smiths, does this mean that the newsagents are no longer wanting to pay for these sections? I have noticed that the MZ in the London Shepherds Bush Smiths has been shrinking very rapidly recently - so this might suggest that they are planning to get rid of them...? Mind you, when you look at their prices, a lack of success doesn't come as a massive shock.

Cheers.

Chris. 

modelzone was bought by smiths last year...i spoke to a supervisor last week , she said Smiths bought the MZ name as an experiment..but Smiths say that they had to rely on their suppliers giving them virtually no stock...so of course it failed...the MZ in the Birmingham Union St branch of Smiths  has been shrinking...There were badly photocopied signs that appeared mid jan saying as of end of jan , MZ ceases trading in Smiths...After the end of Jan , MZ was still there , but shrinking ....as of last week , MZ has virtually gone

Just now, garynumanfan said:

modelzone was bought by smiths last year...i spoke to a supervisor last week , she said Smiths bought the MZ name as an experiment..but Smiths say that they had to rely on their suppliers giving them virtually no stock...so of course it failed...the MZ in the Birmingham Union St branch of Smiths  has been shrinking...There were badly photocopied signs that appeared mid jan saying as of end of jan , MZ ceases trading in Smiths...After the end of Jan , MZ was still there , but shrinking ....as of last week , MZ has virtually gone

Disappeared in Meadowhall as well. Stock levels fell away  pre Christmas and dwindled to nothing . Shame as it was handy for paint and sundries and the odd kit .

i said too the supervisor that the Falcon model was £60  but had recently gone up to £72...i told her that in reality it was only worth £20 or so....£72 for a model full of errors ..even more errors than the previous Revell Falcon , was MZ taking the piddle

i said to the supervisor..didnt Smiths see this coming ...i could have told her months ago..that MZ would go bust soon...

its badly promoted by WHSmiths...no mention of MZ on Smiths website...no mention of it on any of their FB pages/...its like MZ never existed 

theres a model shop in bham , Ian Allan books and models , down by New St station..I asked a guy there if IA had thought about buying the MZ name..he said no..because IA would have to buy MZs debts too...i  also  go to Mike`s Models Brockwell Rd Kingstanding Birmingham ...thats out of the way a bit ,,but its a good shop...see their web site