Fieseler Fi-156 Storch SMER 1/72

CedB

Having pondered the stash looking for an easy build I've chosen this one:

23251477666_4d5150dd38.jpg 22909651929_a2c6fcfc5d.jpg

FlickrStorch by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

As always with my Flickr shots you can click on the picture to see it at full size (I think).

One page of instructions, looks easy (famous last words).

I had a search on BM and found this thread discussing the captured Storch used by Air Vice Marshal Harry Broadhurst and used to ferry Churchill around Europe. Interesting. Preston started a build of the Tamiya 1/48th kit here but it's incomplete.

I think I might search the transfer stash and see if I have the bits. Of course building the box version would be too easy...

• Like 9

Hi Ced,

great choice!

Isn't it a re-boxing of the Heller kit?

Whatever its origin, it can't be worse than a vintage Airfix Meteor, so no pressure!

Just have fun!

JR

• Like 2

Hi Nigel and welcome :)

Hi Jean and welcome :) It is indeed a reboxing of the 1976 Heller, according to scalemates.com.

Hi Alex and welcome :)All suggestions welcome, don't hold back!

Some basic progress:

22886235837_a51c2cff12.jpg

Easy by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The seats have ejector marks on BOTH sides (what the??!!) but I've only addressed the ones on the back. This is supposed to be an easy build, remember!

So what colour do we think the internals should be? I guess they would have been RLM something? Walkarounds show black but I think that's restoration? If I get no comments I'll find an RLM internal colour.

Steps 3 and 4 confused me a bit until I realised they were an option - 3 for the version with the gun, 4 without. Other options have arrows between them (see 6 and 7). Oops.

23258664566_db6a46c827.jpg

Missing option by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Quick check on the reference shots showed HB's had the gun option though it wasn't mounted in the shots I've seen. I carefully removed the clear parts from the sprue and cleaned them up very carefully then dipped them in Klear ('cos everyone else does):

23284469075_236dc28cf9_n.jpg 22657434393_720a56b507_n.jpg

Dipped by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I learn something new on all my builds. Lesson 1 on this one was that clear parts don't float in Klear and it takes ages to find them and fish them out. Very educational - certainly taught me a lesson :)

I'll let that dry overnight and then I'm intending to mask the parts to prevent damage while I'm trying to work out how to fit them together :)

• Like 7

The seats have ejector marks on BOTH sides (what the??!!)

What the indeed, this is a new one on me.

Here are some shots of the one I took at the East Fortune museum:

P1010193_zpsab113efc.jpg

P1010200_zps61d9f701.jpg

P1010201_zpsd8deee60.jpg

P1010196_zps53219d13.jpg

I hope those are useful and have more if you need. It looks like the interior on this one is RLM 02, never trust museum examples of course but RLM 02 was often used for Luftwaffe cockpit interiors so would be a good option and its lightness would allow more to be seen.

Nigel

• Like 3

Hi Reserve_22 - welcome! :)

Thanks Nigel - very useful, as always. I found a reference here that concurs on the RLM02 but states that "After November 1941, all cockpit/crew areas visible through the glazing (windows) were to be RLM Black-Gray 66." The Model Air pamphlet (we trust those don't we??!!) also suggests this and has a vague example of what that means...

I think we'll ignore that and go for the RLM02 since, as you say, it will allow more to be seen.

Whoops - Reserve_22 has just posted - RLM02 it is - thanks both :)

• Like 1

Well Ced, I'm lost for words! I warned you about SMER kits on the Tiger Moth STGB but you obviously haven't listened!!! :) Easy build? I don't think so. As Chris would say, "Best of luck fella!"

Max

• Like 2

Thanks Reserve_22 - useful stuff and I shall delete my reference to the poor site...

Hi Max :D

It's a re-boxed Heller... does that make a difference? It's going OK so far... in my defence I had bought the kit some time ago :hmmm:

Canopy masked and RLM02 sprayed:

23296874215_2482f9fbc9.jpg

RLM02 it is by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 4

I know I said 'easy build' but while choosing a pilot from 'the crew room' I saw one of those old Spitfire pilots, you know the ones with the 'chubby' features, and thought about the video that Nick (Seahawk) had linked to in his thread...

https://youtu.be/tyCNnpw81bM?t=5m3s

and thought hmmm, perhaps with a bit of Green Stuff...

The madness returns.

• Like 1

Well, he will fit with minor foot surgery so the flash was removed:

23275912486_91506a1e1b.jpg 22934603909_763dbf63a4.jpg

Flash removed by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

then the mask was removed, the headphones fashioned to ear like things and the life vest converted to a coat. Hat has been fashioned with Green stuff:

23012963100_5f4253be42.jpg

Your hat Sir by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

and the cabin prepared for occupation:

22941009239_034cd498a0.jpg

Those ejector marks will be covered by the figures, obviously.

:mental::deadhorse::winkgrin:

• Like 7

Love those ejector-pin marks...

That figurine with a face that only a mother could love...? Perhaps here's a good opportunity for some real apprentice-Nigel work and do some Milliput sculpting on the figurine's dial ;) (with apologies to Mr Heath :)). Only slightly joking, a bit. OK, I confess, I'm not, but pretend that you never read this post - or the Roket Powder Curse could come back to haunt you .

Masking looking good (I have the same kit as Mr Heath's in the cache, albeit not acquired quite as long ago - masking on that wee beastie should be a lot easier, for me that is, than on the 1/72 model that you have just expertly dealt with) :).

• Like 1

I know I said 'easy build' but while choosing a pilot from 'the crew room' I saw one of those old Spitfire pilots, you know the ones with the 'chubby' features, and thought about the video that Nick (Seahawk) had linked to in his thread...

https://youtu.be/tyCNnpw81bM?t=5m3s

and thought hmmm, perhaps with a bit of Green Stuff...

The madness returns.

Ah...that will teach me to a. read (your) posts more carefully and b. watch the video(s) first ;). Except that the Milliput would be much easier to sculpt and/or carve... Oh no, someone deal with that rabbit, it's got out of its hutch again :(. Sorry.
  • Like 1

Thanks Simon :) You're probably right, but it's the first time I've looked at one of those figures and thought "that would look OK".

Thanks Rob :)

Hmmm, "love the under dog kits"... it's certainly not the filling and most of them cost more than an Airfix equivalent... I think I like 'interesting' subjects I've not built before and the same sort of applies to the manufacturer, hence the weird mixture in my stash. It's a good job I don't apply the same rules to the rest of my life; "Sticking a needle in my eye, haven't tried that before".

I have (sort of) promised myself that once I've cleared out the stash I will keep to easy / better built kits, but then you know Valom, or one of that crowd, will bring out something I just have to have :(

• Like 2

Hi Ced,

the Heller kit is not a bad kit, or so thought the peasants living in the deep middle of nowhere of Gaul in the mid-seventies....

Seriously though, I think the wing structure on the Heller/Smer kit is actually better looking than on the Academy kit, where it looks like the North Sea in a force 6 gale...

So all is not lost!

You SHALL have fun!!!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 2

Fun is mandatory of course.

Here are the rest of my Storch photos from East Fortune:

P1010189_zpscb7e0349.jpg

P1010190_zps0e01b655.jpg

P1010191_zps3543e224.jpg

P1010192_zpsff560fb7.jpg

P1010193_zpsab113efc.jpg

P1010194_zpseb762fb0.jpg

P1010195_zpsda7cbe7c.jpg

P1010196_zps53219d13.jpg

P1010197_zpsabd10fc8.jpg

P1010198_zpsce2c7bde.jpg

P1010199_zps98c4ae11.jpg

P1010202_zps8036a956.jpg

Please use them well my young Padawan. I am expecting great things from you. Oops nearly typed thongs from you there...

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 3

Ced I now have stash envy! Always wanted a Beaufort.... There are some very interesting builds in there which is good. I am a fan of something away from the norm it must be said so I understand that.... Again agree with you on not applying that thought process to the rest of life! There are a lot if things that are not the norm but should not be tried....

I need to pull my finger out and catch up with my spitfires.... Bloody Black Friday, hopefully I survive the weekend so I can finish my builds!!

Rob

• Like 2

Nice work Ced. I didn't realise that your skills included millinery work. :winkgrin:

Hi John, thanks! I would reserve judgement until you've seen the results! :)

Hi Ced,

the Heller kit is not a bad kit, or so thought the peasants living in the deep middle of nowhere of Gaul in the mid-seventies....

Seriously though, I think the wing structure on the Heller/Smer kit is actually better looking than on the Academy kit, where it looks like the North Sea in a force 6 gale...

So all is not lost!

You SHALL have fun!!!

JR

Thanks Jean, I'll certainly try! :)

Fun is mandatory of course.

Here are the rest of my Storch photos from East Fortune:

P1010189_zpscb7e0349.jpg

Please use them well my young Padawan. I am expecting great things from you. Oops nearly typed thongs from you there...

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks you, Obe Wan KaNigel :) The one I'm building's not Criquet... sorry, that's an awful pun. When the French fitted their rotary engine (see, I do do some research) couldn't they get the cowling to fit?

If you're hoping that those detailed pictures (for which I thank you) are going to encourage me to scratch build a load of tiny detail I'm afraid I will / must disappoint... I don't have the skills or the tools, although I have bought these after watching your Gazelle:

22717527144_60e3c3960a_n.jpg

New purchases by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The hand vice will stop me filing my finger nails when cleaning small parts, a bonus! The other thing is an 'Ooh, that looks nice' and may appear later. Or not.

Thongs? What??!!

Ced I now have stash envy! Always wanted a Beaufort.... There are some very interesting builds in there which is good. I am a fan of something away from the norm it must be said so I understand that.... Again agree with you on not applying that thought process to the rest of life! There are a lot if things that are not the norm but should not be tried....

I need to pull my finger out and catch up with my spitfires.... Bloody Black Friday, hopefully I survive the weekend so I can finish my builds!!

Rob

Hi Rob :) The Beaufort and Beaufighter were pressies from PC as a kind thank you for me driving him about during his BoB visit - really kind, and I'm just waiting until I feel I can do them justice (don't hold your breath!!)

Good luck with Black Friday, and of course Christmas. I know it won't be just any Christmas... :D

There's a first time for everything, I suppose.

Not the first and it won't be the last!!

Right, post this and then update...

• Like 2