Tu-22 Blinder - 1/72 scale from Modelsvit

Cock-up on the nacelle front....

Because there are no part numbers on the sprue, I used two of the same halves of the main undercarriage nacelles.

This has resulted in there being TWO RWR antenna on one nacelle tip and none on the other :doh::doh:

tu-22_39.jpg

Be warned! - use one half with the antenna - cemented to one half without - so that a single RWR antenna is on the inside of the nacelle tip when viewed from above.

Or.... simply follow the instructions :thumbsup:

I'll have to carefully slice one off and cement it to the other nacelle.

In the meantime, I am toying with the idea of scratching a Sirena tailcone from Milliput.....

tu-22_40.jpg

Shouldn't be too difficult - and it allows more decal choices ....... Begemot are you reading this ???

Ken

• Like 3

I hadn't noticed that about the nacelle halves, Ken - thank you for the head's up! I have put the Blinder aside just for the moment so I can do my mad Holiday rush to finish a few models before the end of the year. Last year it was an La-5 and an (surprise) Il-2. This year it looks like it's going to be an, uhmm, La-5 and Il-2. And maybe a Spitfire F.22. Interesting idea about the tail cone - it does give the Blinder a different look. Interesting also about that hatch - I'll have to see if I have that book in my collection.

Although I know it wasn't used on this version of the Blinder, I ordered a FAB-9000 in 1/72nd scale that I was able to find on eBay (they pinched it from some other Soviet bomber kit). I can use it if I ever do an Iraqi Blinder. They supposedly used that bomb against the Iranians. I suspect Modelsvit may come out with that version - at least I hope they do. I love the camouflaged Blinders. They look like the world's largest fighters.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

I've been busy making a home-made SPS-100 active jamming system as fitted to some Tu-22KD's.....

This replaces the gun and is quite simple to make.....

First cut off the rear of the existing kit part.....

tu-22_41.jpg

I cut the outline shape of the new tailcone from thick plastic card and attached it to an internal bulkhead that I scratched....

tu-22_42.jpg

Scrap bits of sprue were glued on (to save the weight of the Milliput).....

tu-22_43.jpg

Then Milliput was applied and shaped whilst wet to the approximate shape....
followed by few sessions of sanding/filling/sanding until I was satisfied with the overall shape..

tu-22_44.jpg

The finished part primed - with aerials and intake to be added later after painting

tu-22_45.jpg

The new tail end attached to the fuselage..

tu-22_46.jpg

Ken

• Like 7

What a fantastic piece of military hardware which you are doing wonderful work to replicate. And the videos - just awesome! Love the beat-ups - they must have been just incredible to witness, nothing beats a big aircraft going fast close to the ground. I remember a Victor doing something similar along the runway at Fenton during a graduation in the 80s - unforgettable.

I don't know if I have assembled by engine nacelles incorrectly (the instructions are not very clear) - but the exhaust nozzle just sits on the rear face of the nacelle.

On the real thing there is a metal 'shroud' covering the gap - and the nozzle sits inside the shroud.

This photo shows the top nozzle as kitted - and my addition of a plastic card shroud at the bottom.....

tu-22_47.jpg

The new shrouds are blended in with filler.......

tu-22_48.jpg

I am now at the point of having all the major components built - ready for final assembly....

tu-22_49.jpg

Ken

• Like 12

Now for the part I was dreading - the clear glazing.

The Tu-22 has some unusual anti-flash shutters on all the windows - those on the pilots glazing are semi-circular and are painted a sort of Sky colour.

Modelsvit supply self-adhesive masks - for both the inside and outside of the cockpit - but there is no mention anywhere in the instructions about how to apply them, in fact the only place they are mentioned is on the parts diagram!

The inside masks cover the whole clear window pane (for postioning purposes) and you then CAREFULLY remove the outer part - leaving the clear quadrant covered.

tu-22_50.jpg

Once the masks are in place, the INSIDE of the glazing is painted Sky..

tu-22_51.jpg

Removing the masks reveals the inner shutters...

tu-22_52.jpg

Further masks are provided for the outer framing.

I'm happy to reports that all the glazing is commendaby thin and fits beautifully. :thumbsup:

tu-22_53.jpg

Phew!

Ken

• Like 7

Nice to hear that the clear parts fit well! I'm still continuing to do a little work on mine, even as I struggle to finish a least a few other models before year's end. You have to give credit to Modelsvit; whatever shortcomings this kit may have, it looks like they put in quite a bit of effort to make it accurate. Now if only they'd do the Be-10 Mallow - that's a kit I would HAVE to buy!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Nice to hear that the clear parts fit well! I'm still continuing to do a little work on mine, even as I struggle to finish a least a few other models before year's end. You have to give credit to Modelsvit; whatever shortcomings this kit may have, it looks like they put in quite a bit of effort to make it accurate. Now if only they'd do the Be-10 Mallow - that's a kit I would HAVE to buy!

Regards,

Jason

The Be-10 is my holy grail kit, still stupidly hunting for the Deka vac form but to no avail..... I have good faith either Amodel or Modelsvit will bring one out now they have done a 1/144th kit.....

Ken, great work mate... Learning about the Tu-22 in this thread too... But I wouldn't bother gluing down the IP as it seems the Russians didn't in the real thing (see video) ^_^

• Like 1

It's a straight-forward snap-together from here on in Ken

Yeh - wish!!

But it's 'AWL' coming together now. :rolleyes:

I decided to paint and mask the engine nacelles before attaching them to the rear fuselage - thinking that they would be easier to get at - which half-worked :bandhead2:/>/>

The fit of the twin engine nacelle isn't brilliant - there isn't much of a surface area on the fuselage to attach it to - and the curve on the bottom of the nacelle doesn't exactly match the fuselage shape.

Lots of fettling and scraping etc - but I finally got it attached - the only trouble is, there are gaps to fill and the joints are awkward to get at - especially at the rear end.

The wings fit OK-ish - but the joints still need filler.......

tu-22_54.jpg

.... more so on the undersides.....

tu-22_55.jpg

I'll now re-mask and re-spray the nacelles before doing the whole fuselage.

Ken

• Like 7

I've said this before in one way or another, but I'll reiterate - the Blinder certainly wasn't the greatest design ever, but it looked good. Sort of like a post-war Soviet Ba-88 Lince. You're doing this fine-looking aeroplane justice, Ken. Did you paint the main gear wells grey or silver - they look grey to me on your model photographs.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Just got the 'Awl' joke! Guess I was blinded to it at first... right, I'll get me coat...

Edited by Learstang

I haven't painted the visible parts of the wheel wells yet Jason - the main area is covered by the gear doors, which remain closed when the gear is down - so I left them in primer.

I agree about the looks - it looks supersonic just sitting there - no wonder it got the nickname 'Shilo' (Awl)

Ken

Correct about the wheel wells of course, with the closed main doors, Ken. I went ahead and painted the main undercarriage wheel wells, and doors aluminium/silver as per the instructions. Strange, but it has the nose wheel well as grey.

Regards,

Jason

I haven't painted the visible parts of the wheel wells yet Jason - the main area is covered by the gear doors, which remain closed when the gear is down - so I left them in primer.

I agree about the looks - it looks supersonic just sitting there - no wonder it got the nickname 'Shilo' (Awl)

Ken

It certainly does look fantastic Ken and your hard work is doing it justice. Was tempted by this one but having second thoughts with watching your progress as it certainly isn't a straightforward 'stick-it-together-then-slap-paint-on' kit.

Shilo; translation:- Awl. (noun) A pointed tool for piercing large holes in the sky.

• Like 1

Yeh - wish!!

But it's 'AWL' coming together now. :rolleyes:

I decided to paint and mask the engine nacelles before attaching them to the rear fuselage - thinking that they would be easier to get at - which half-worked :bandhead2:/>/>

The fit of the twin engine nacelle isn't brilliant - there isn't much of a surface area on the fuselage to attach it to - and the curve on the bottom of the nacelle doesn't exactly match the fuselage shape.

Lots of fettling and scraping etc - but I finally got it attached - the only trouble is, there are gaps to fill and the joints are awkward to get at - especially at the rear end.

The wings fit OK-ish - but the joints still need filler.......

tu-22_54.jpg

.... more so on the undersides.....

I'll now re-mask and re-spray the nacelles before doing the whole fuselage.

Ken

Ken

And others who build this kit-did you see these metal turned am nacelles?What do you think?

http://armoryhobbyshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=44719

Isaac