Turks shoot down unidentified aircraft

thepureness

The Turkish air force have shot down an unidentified aircraft violating their air space. Looking at the video it looks like an Su-24 Fencer. Can't provide a like quite yet. But check BBC.Co.UK and you'll see a link on the story

The various parties currently using Syria as a weapon test facility/propaganda exercise need to decide if they are all on the same side and start co-ordinating things or this is going to get very messy very quickly.

Duncan B

• Like 3

Sheesh... bad news for the pilot. Hope he gets back home ok. Do we know what they were doing over the border yet? Probably just a navigation error, but you never know. I'd have thought they'd issue a warning before firing just in case it was a genuine error. :hmmm:

Sheesh... bad news for the pilot. Hope he gets back home ok. Do we know what they were doing over the border yet? Probably just a navigation error, but you never know. I'd have thought they'd issue a warning before firing just in case it was a genuine error. :hmmm:

Turks claiming they issued 3 warnings.

There was a tweet that showed the apparent airspace infringment on the radar: https://twitter.com/CNNTURK_ENG/status/669098577524822016/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

It actually shows that two aircraft were over Turkish airspace.

@Radleigh: Russia said in a first comment, the aircraft was as 6000m altitude, so it can still fly some distance after being hit. They also want to boil it down, and apparently say it was a manpad, to avoid the blame game. Maybe the best thing to do right now...

Alex

• Like 1

The local news service reported that one of the pilots was in Turkish hands & one unaccounted for after both ejected. Don't forget, that there is more to rebel forces in Syria than just Isis & it would be hoped that treatment by forces trying to overthrow the current Syria regime of Bashar Assad (?) may not resort to the sort of psychopathic barbarity that Isis do. Lets hope so anyhow.

Steve.

• Like 1

Is this the first time a NATO fighter has downed a Russian AF plane directly?

If you mean post-Soviet era, then I think so.

If you include the Soviet era, there have been quite a few just by US forces alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-to-air_combat_losses_between_the_USSR_and_US

This could get messy.

I highly doubt it will amount to more than economical sanctions. Putin isn't stupid.

Bit odd getting shot down 'over Turkey' but it ended up far over the boarder in Syria?

It's not certain that it lost all engine power or manouverability instantly. Besides, what's the glide slope of the Su-24? I'm asking because I don't know.

Hope both pilots get out this OK....

According to reports on social media sadly at least one of them is dead.

Well lets just hope at least one the crew are safe, one crumb of comfort in this sorry mess.

Without getting political (in my view) this is just one of a number of reasons that the UK should not get involved in operations over Syria.

• Like 2

This was part of the danger all along. How can NATO work with Russia if this has happened?

We are looking at three way fight at least. This will be very messy.

Here, we just have to prey that no Bitish boots end up on the ground.

It has to be said from the map on Sky the Turks were a little quick to react. It looks like it only over flew a Km or two of Turkish territory.

Nigel

This was part of the danger all along. How can NATO work with Russia if this has happened?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge there haven't been a NATO intervention in Syria. There are NATO forces, yes, but that is individual countries. I still believe Russia will continue to coordinate with countries like France and the US. It's in their own interests.

We are looking at three way fight at least. This will be very messy.

I would be surprised if this comes to an all out shooting war. No one will benefit from that except ISIS and they all know it.

Here, we just have to prey that no Bitish boots end up on the ground.

Too late. SAS have been in Syria since January or something.

It has to be said from the map on Sky the Turks were a little quick to react. It looks like it only over flew a Km or two of Turkish territory.

Yeah, They seem to have been a bit triggerhappy. Yes, it was in violation of their airspace, but really? That's a bit of an overreaction in my book. But I guess Turkey was fed up by the incursions. It's not the first time. They probably felt they had to "make an example", but that could have been done by warning shots as well. Edited by NorLars

It was going to happen sooner or later. And don't forget that the Turks had an RF-4 shot down by the Syrian Army and couple of years back, and that they have had plenty of airspace infringements since then. So if they are quick to shoot, it's not surprising.