Revell 1/32 P-40E

Hi Chris. I like it. Brings back great memories of my brothers build about 40 years back. It looks like it still builds up into a nice model. You have done a great job on her.

The kit is still a good design, this one had problems because the plastic was so brittle. It would crack if you pressed to hard, shatter like an eggshell!

:goodjob: Didn't know Revell did the P-40 in 1/32. Nice subject.

BillyD

Goes back to the late 1960s, this was one of the first revell 1/32 kits along with a spitfire and 109. innovative in their era, not up to today's standards of course.

Not the easiest kit by today's standards. I made one a few years back in 112 sqn markings. It still brushes up OK after all these years.

No, not at all. I didn't have RAF markings, I had a sheet with early USAAF planes and decided to do it it in these, rather generic colors yet still representing a famous pilot's plane.

She scrubs up well for an old bird.

I remember building one, must have been in the seventies.

Pete

She does indeed, I have built this kit three times now in my life. As a boy as a 'Flying tiger', the smithsonian version which was Desert brown and sand and now this one.

I recall building one all those years ago along with the Spitfire Mk1 and Me 109F and thinking "This scale will never catch on". It wasn't a bad model for its time and featured things like no wheel wells and moveable control surfaces. Still possible to do a decent model from it though and nice job there on a very old lady indeed.

I recall building one all those years ago along with the Spitfire Mk1 and Me 109F and thinking "This scale will never catch on". It wasn't a bad model for its time and featured things like no wheel wells and moveable control surfaces. Still possible to do a decent model from it though and nice job there on a very old lady indeed.

Thanks, it wasn't too bad detail wise.

of course it does have the issues mentioned about wheel wells.

Nice job on a very underated kit, it was one of the best of the original Revell 1/32 scale kits, I remember it well, one of my favourites, here's one I did ages ago

OldRevellkits009.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

What it does have is some of the best surface detailing ever, far better than the modern engraved panel lines and drilled out rivets frenzy. Built one about 25 years ago, and have another to do properly.

I agree. I bought this kit last week with no decals and instructions but I was impresed how realistic surface is on it with overlapped panels and rivets which looks accurate to scale. In my opinion on this classic kits is visible constructors enthusiasm to achieve realistic looking model. This is missing on many todays high- tech but " computer cold" modern kits.

Martin

What it does have is some of the best surface detailing ever, far better than the modern engraved panel lines and drilled out rivets frenzy. Built one about 25 years ago, and have another to do properly.

I have seen it laid out to blue prints of a real P-40e and it has only minor issues. Shape wise its spot on.

nice job

Rick

Thanks much rick!

Nice job on a very underated kit, it was one of the best of the original Revell 1/32 scale kits, I remember it well, one of my favourites, here's one I did ages ago

OldRevellkits009.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Beautiful job on your Dennis. it was indded the first 1/32 that Lew glasser wanted done when he decided that revell would market 1/32 aircraft.

I agree. I bought this kit last week with no decals and instructions but I was impresed how realistic surface is on it with overlapped panels and rivets which looks accurate to scale. In my opinion on this classic kits is visible constructors enthusiasm to achieve realistic looking model. This is missing on many todays high- tech but " computer cold" modern kits.

Martin

The decals on this one are after market for p-40Es. I didn't care for the kit supplied decals (which were a later version of the same aircraft).