Spitfire Mk XII coded ' EB '

Biggles87

DSCF2985_zps7rwkte2o.jpg

I bought this kit about a month ago to build after I had finished the Wildcat, but after the shockingly sudden loss of our own ' Mr Spitfire ' I felt compelled to build it now, especially as one of the options is coded 'EB', so I started it over the weekend.

DSCF2987_zpsz4nsx4r3.jpg

I've painted the cockpit interior, inner wing area and seat frame with Xtracrylic cockpit grey/green. The green object in the middle, some of you may recognise as part of an Aires set representing the cockpit 'floor' which I hope will fit in-between the sidewalls as this kit does not have the U shaped cockpit interior of the more recent Mks I and V. The wings are just taped together here so that I could test fit the wing to fuselage joint which looks OK, so I won't have to join the top halves first like Stix.

DSCF2988_zpsbivfahuy.jpg

DSCF2989_zpsaktrukfw.jpg

Wings now cemented together and waiting for the flaps and ailerons to be attached, which was done a couple of hours later along with the clipped tips, radiator and oil cooler.

DSCF2991_zpsskbocmcc.jpg

Sorry about the last photo, It was indoors under yellow lighting and using flash. It's suddenly become winter here and I've moved my 'modelling station ' to the kitchen, which also means no airbrushing there.

That's all for now, feel free to comment.

Cheers

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 10

Hi John. Nice idea for the tribute to Edgar. This is on my future 'to build' list so I will be following with interest. I am interested to know what you think of the detail compared to some of the more recent Spitfire offerings - I haven't had a look at one of these close-up.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I didn't know Edgar apart from his posts on other forums, but this still brings a tear to my eye. A great tribute.

Thanks a lot, some of the comments after his passing have brought tears to my eyes also. I was fortunate to have know Edgar from the Thames Valley Model Club, and before that, another modelling club to which I belonged where he was a regular visitor.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Hi Stix thanks, I will also build one for the STGB tribute, perhaps one with all the mistakes that Edgar pointed out so helpfully.

Most of the differences between this and the later Airfix Spitfires lie in the cockpit, which is not as well detailed ( although the seat cushion is better ) and the raised fuel tank deflection armour is not represented, otherwise the detail compares well. The panel lines are deeper, some think too deep, than those of the later offerings, but that's not a problem for me.

Thanks for looking

John

PS Congratulations on the Battle of Britain GB result

• Like 1

Hi Stix thanks, I will also build one for the STGB tribute, perhaps one with all the mistakes that Edgar pointed out so helpfully.

Most of the differences between this and the later Airfix Spitfires lie in the cockpit, which is not as well detailed ( although the seat cushion is better ) and the raised fuel tank deflection armour is not represented, otherwise the detail compares well. The panel lines are deeper, some think too deep, than those of the later offerings, but that's not a problem for me.

Thanks for looking

John

PS Congratulations on the Battle of Britain GB result

Hi John. Thank you for the information - I shall have to see about getting one of these and I will make it for Edgar's memorial GB.

Any progress with your build?

Thank you - I was surprised about the BoB GB result but very pleased, to say the least! There are so many excellent builds in the Gallery!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Thanks guys, I have adapted the cockpit frames to sit on the Aires lower part and done so more painting. I also want to use the etched instrument panel from the same Aires set, but I have bonded it so well to the resin frame that I think it will bend if I try to prise it off, so I will have to sand it off instead.Progress has been slowed somewhat by a flooded kitchen on Tuesday cause by the washing machine, I didn't know they could hold so much water!

Hopefully I should get back on track today and have the main airframe parts together by the weekend when I'll post an update.

Cheers

John

• Like 3

Progress has been slowed somewhat by a flooded kitchen on Tuesday cause by the washing machine, I didn't know they could hold so much water!

Aaaarghh, that sounds nasty! :frantic: I hope it didn't damage any of your modelling stuff (and the rest of the house, of course)

Ciao

• Like 1

Good morning John,

Glad you've managed to get some more done on this project (and looking forward to seeing the photos) but sorry you had the problem with the washing machine. I'm glad it didn't cause any permanent damage.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Update 01 Dec.

Not quite as much progress as I had hoped over the weekend due to social engagements, it's a tough life!

DSCF3000_zpsqvgjypvk.jpg

I have painted some of the details on the cockpit sides and added a trim wheel from a punched plastic disk as it is represented in the kit by a shallow raised circle. The rudder pedals came from my Spitfire spares box, probably ICM or possibly Occidental. When I had finished, it was all given a wash with Raw Umber watercolour. I was pleased that I was able to adapt the cockpit frames to the Aires 'floor' quite easily, which leaves me with a spare frame (the one immediately behind the control column ) which I will use on one of my Eduard Spitfires, where it is incorrectly represented.

DSCF2995_zpsd0opje81.jpg

DSCF2997_zpsgb9he0nb.jpg

I decided to use Eduard " Superfabric " seat belts with this kit, my first time with these. They are much easier to use than the etched variety, although the buckles and other metal fittings are printed on they are realistic enough in this scale. They are also slightly tacky when removed from the backing sheet which helps with placing them.

DSCF3004_zpsjhgtmmpp.jpg

DSCF3006_zpsusrtktsi.jpg

I was hoping to have the fuselage together and the wings on by this evening but the fuselage is such a tight fit that I have cemented just from the cockpit to the tail today and will finish it tomorrow and then add the wings so hopefully more photographs then.

Cheers

John :pilot:

PS I realised just before joining the fuselage that I had left the rear of the Aires part in grey/green and painted it silver. You'll have to trust me 'cause you can't see it now.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 5

Same here, seat belts really look the part. :goodjob: Not sure I understood which parts are painted wrong, but from what I can see, once it's all buttoned up you should only be able to see the "good" parts. :thumbsup2:

Ciao

• Like 1

Update 04Dec

DSCF3010_zpscvxdpf24.jpg

Fuselage together now, and I am following my usual practise of attaching the tailplanes before the wings. The tailplanes are the same as those on the more recent offerings, in that they are handed, and both elevators are joined, making it impossible to set them at different angles. I found the fit to be quite tight, but the slot is just wide enough to get a flat needle file into and give it a couple of swipes to ease the fit.

DSCF3011_zpsrnjift3v.jpg

There are two depressions on the upper nose in the fuel tank area, the circular one is presumably the filler but I don't know that the other one should be there, anyone got any ideas?

DSCF3020_zpsgl2w3n8v.jpg

The wing to fuselage joint turned out to be as good as anticipated, with just a little filing and scraping of the Aires resin to get it to sit flat, and I even remembered to fit the downward light, before cementing the wings into place! Airfix provide a couple of tabs on the fuselage to fill the holes where the inner flaps are fitted but I still needed to build them up with some 5 thou Plasticard so that the flaps were level with the wing lower surface. The only other point about the wing fit is that the inner leading edges, where the wing root fillet fits are blunt rather than rounded so I will have to attend to that.

DSCF3025_zpsxvj66msu.jpg

DSCF3027_zpsff3z5zvz.jpg

I have started on the propeller assembly by glueing the prop shaft through the boss and attaching both to the spinner back plate, but I deviated from the instructions and will not attach it until almost the end of the build, the shaft being tight enough not to need securing inside the nose.

When I have tidied up the joins I will fit the rudder, elevators and carburettor intake, and after some gentle sanding over the weekend I hope to be able to start painting next week.

Cheers

John

• Like 5

John, I agree with Rob, she's looking a treat! :clap:

I have to say the kit looks a nice one.... Can it be shrunk!?

Rob, you should really consider going 1/48 sometimes ... :whistle::winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 2

Looking great John. I think the other "hole" is a vent or air intake, and should be there. There are actual pics of the aircraft you are modelling around. I built 90% of this model, and it currently resides on my shelf of doom. Despite using all humbrol painting products my decals shrivelled after applying the matt varnish to seal them in, so now they look blurred and blistered. I am unsure why this happend but sorting its gonna be tricky - so something to be wary of perhaphs. Otherwise it builds up very well construction wise. :goodjob:

• Like 1

She is looking a treat John, looking forward to how you tackle the paint work!

I have to say the kit looks a nice one.... Can it be shrunk!

Thanks Rob, yes it really is a nice kit, and not even one of the latest Airfix Spitfires. I have both Humbrol acrylic and Xtracolour enamel in the appropriate colours, I will probably use the Humrol as I intend to brush paint it, but I could still change my mind.

Cheers

John

Thanks Giemme and Ced, glad you like it.

Thanks for the info about the ' hole ' and the warning about the transfers Greg, it's a real shame to get that far and then have something go wrong. As mentioned above I have two choices for the paint and also several different varnishes, one of my favourites being one from a company called ' Americana ' which is acrylic. I guess I'll have to do some testing with some of the spare transfers.

Cheers

John

• Like 1