Tempsford SOE Operations

Mancunian airman

A friend of mine is trying to find information of Boston Havoc aircraft that flew out of Tempsford and carried out 'Radio Transmission work'

He hasn't said what squadron operated these but would like to know of their colour scheme and if they had a solid or glass nose ???

In anticipation . . . .

Hi

Not a great deal of help, but it may start the research journey off

mentioned somewhere in a previous thread on BM was this photo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Charles_Pickard#/media/File%3ARoyal_Air_Force_Bomber_Command%2C_1942-1945._HU60540.jpg

my wild guess would be it would be camo like the other squadron a/c

the hudson a/c had a clear perspex nose so maybe the boston did as well

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

138 Squadron operated a Boston AW399 coded MA;Z then S in PRU Blue overall from 7/42- Struck off charge 5/44. Also a Havoc BJ477 with Intruder nose, coded MA:V then R from 7/42 became a ground instruction airframe 12.43. Most likely this aircraft was all black scheme. I believe the aircraft were based at St.Eval.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 2

The most comprehensive book I know of dealing with SOE operations is Flights of the Forgotten, by Ken Merrick. In a quick look I couldn't find a reference to the Bostons, but believe they were to act as radio links to receive and re-transmit messages from the French Resistance, or SIS operatives in France. I have found a reference to 226 Sq including a special flight of 8 Mitchells in much this role immediately pre D-Day.

Looking again I found a reference to a Havoc Flight in April 1943, including BJ477. Also an earlier reference in October 1943, referring to AW399/W and BJ477/V, at this time specifically detached to St. Eval to make contact with Breton fishing boats. The Flight had been formed as part of 161 Sq with AW399 and BJ466, the latter quickly replaced by BJ477. These are described as ex-French or Belgian contract aircraft (French, I suspect).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

A interesting link

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NuKwBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA260&lpg=PA260&dq=boston+aw399&source=bl&ots=MuOrnaMZLI&sig=ArRM1vdHitodG4tquxbFnguv4wg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil65fY5KfJAhVIo4gKHVZ7DbsQ6AEIIDAB#v=onepage&q=boston%20aw399&f=false

It lists AW399 as being with 161Sq arriving from 88Sq in feb 42 to dec 43

list BJ477 coming from 23 Sq feb 42 to dec 43

Ilooks an interesting book, I may have to keep my eye out for one

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Thanks 1

138 Squadron operated a Boston AW399 coded MA;Z then S in PRU Blue overall from 7/42- Struck off charge 5/44. Also a Havoc BJ477 with Intruder nose, coded MA:V then R from 7/42 became a ground instruction airframe 12.43. Most likely this aircraft was all black scheme. I believe the aircraft were based at St.Eval.

Hi

I like the idea of PRU Blue :) it would make a nice model :)

cheers

jerry

A photo appears in the book `RAF fBomber Command 1936-68', see below;

51p1XoOxLwL._SY373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There is a copy here for sale for 1p,......what a steal as it is an excellent book!;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1852603089?keywords=BOMBER%20COMMAND%201936&qid=1448387766&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

1p ? Don't tell me, postage is £25 :winkgrin:

£2.81 inc p&p,just checked!

Edited by bzn20

Are you able to disclose your source as I'd like a copy if it is available in book/magazine form?

Got some of the source material - a photo in Flights of the Forgotten shows Havoc I AW399 coded Z with an intruder type nose and the additional VHF aerials painted in a light colour overall, captioned as cerulean PRU blue. There is a suggestion of a different shade around the code letter / roundel - quite possible as the text suggests this a/c was originally with the High Altitude Flight so would probably have been recoded.

• Thanks 1

The code letter is aft of the roundel. The picture appears to be taken on ortho film, for the red of the roundel and the fin flash is darker than the blue. The code letter appears to have the same tone as the blue, certainly lighter than the red. The aircraft appears very light overall, which is common for some blue paints on ortho film (presumably when taken with a certain filter) but I don't think I've seen a PRU Blue aircraft looking so light. The link to the High Altitude Flight makes me wonder about the description of the colour - could it be the similar Deep Sky?. Just a thought.

I kick myself for not looking at the photos in Flights of the Forgotten!

Combat Codes has BJ477 as MA.R

• Like 1

Cerulean PRU Blue and High Altitude Flight does sound like Deep Sky blue except that it is less reflective (and therefore darker) than PRU blue - 8% vs 14%.

Deep Sky was devised by the RAE during 1941 for high altitude under surfaces which began in January 1941 with Azure Blue. That was considered too light and by May the colour had been darkened by 30% and the new colour, called 'Ultra Blue', was discovered to be similar to an existing Titanine paint colour called 'Cosmic Blue' (which later became PRU Blue). That was still considered too light and two further colours called Dark Ultra Blue and Extra Dark Ultra Blue were devised for trials in June.

A&AEE got involved in August 1941 suggesting that the new colour should be a duller and completely matt version of Extra Dark Ultra Blue. After the A&AEE trials the RAE sent a sample to MAP suggesting the name Deep Sky and noting that it was more matt than Type S Sky to eliminate sun glinting. The colour then became involved with the introduction of the Fortress to the RAF and further to-ing and fro-ing occurred.

The issue around this development record is that PRU Blue and Deep Sky are not differentiated just by their degrees of lightness/darkness. PRU Blue is a Munsell Blue and Deep Sky a Munsell Purple Blue. PRU Blue is lighter than Deep Sky but has a lower saturation, the former a slightly greyish-green blue and the latter a stronger, brighter blue.

Nick

• Like 5

Unfortunately I don't think the true reflectance is a good indication here - the aircraft appears to be white or a very light grey. It is reminiscent of the appearance of Extra Dark Sea Grey in the much-discussed Ark Royal Skua photo, or the abandoned Sea Gladiator on Malta (the last wartime picture). The aircraft appears to be a lot lighter than the Blue in the roundel, if that's any help.

Roundel Dull Blue is about 4% and Bright Blue about 8% - same as Deep Sky but a different blue. If the roundels were Dull Blue they would look darker but I haven't seen either photo referred to.

I can't imagine why Extra Dark Sea Grey at 10% should appear white or a very light grey unless it was very badly chalked but I did notice some strange photographic effects in colour images of the modern RAF Typhoon where the grey looks almost off-white. An illumination effect probably.

Nick

I admit I'm unable to explain the colours from the photo - as Graham says the letter does not appear to be the same as the red of the roundel so if we dip into the RAF colouring box the next most likely colour of the letter to my mind is Medium Sea Grey - which would make the overall colour quite pale - Sky perhaps? Or the dreaded Sky Blue? I don't think I could support anything darker unless there was a strong film/filtration effect going on and I'm not sure about ortho film as I can imagine a yellow ring to the roundel and I don't think there is any strong filtration used as there are reasonable shadows but the sky is still pale so not a strong red, yellow or orange filter if normal film.

The photo is credited to M.Whinney - the pilot - and correspondence with him is cited in various places in the text so (theorising) the description of PRU Blue probably came from that source by way of some form of remote discussion and not by viewing of colour chips, in which case it could be misidentified.

Seems like one of those cases where if you can justify it to yourself you can use whatever colours you like!

There is a copy here for sale for 1p,......what a steal as it is an excellent book!;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1852603089?keywords=BOMBER%20COMMAND%201936&qid=1448387766&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Cheers

Tony

The same photo as in Flights of the Forgotten but a bit bigger and better. Captioned as "One of the two PRU Blue Havocs, AW399/X..." in spite of the letter Z on the side! The VHF aerials show up more clearly too.

• Thanks 1

Cheers

Tony

It really IS £0.01 !! Plus quite modest postage within UK but as Tony says, a steal! Just ordered mine - it looks as though there are a couple more available for £0.01.

Thanks for highlighting it, Tony

• Like 1

No worries and glad you got a copy,.......I paid full price or mine when it came out!!! Then again I`m always using it so it has paid for itself,.....but 1p!

Cheers

Tony

No worries and glad you got a copy,.......I paid full price or mine when it came out!!! Then again I`m always using it so it has paid for itself,.....but 1p!

Cheers

Tony

there are quite a lot of 1p bargains on Amazon if you pay attention, older titles that are around in quantity, some stand out are the double packs of Spitfire at War 1 &2,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spitfire-Alfred-Price/dp/B0014EGW9O

and Lancaster at war 1 and 2,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancaster-Mike-Garbett/dp/1856480550

400 pages each, at least that many photos, with good captions, but there are plenty more if you browse. New details can be spotted on every browse ;)

Hurricane at war/Messerschmitt 109

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hurricane-Messerschmitt-Chaz-Bowyer/dp/1856481484

Many of the single volumes are available for 1p and post, the pages are glossy but the content the same...

a little off topic but great books at bargain prices.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...